Dome 2 Dome and Race for Victory 2015

Prince

1. Heia Safari was the proposed location for the MTB event that was cancelled.

2. Bollocks. Satellite uses similar roads (as you point out) but the organisation around the event is better, their are more marshals who in turn are better organised.

We do not, realistically, expect each and every event to have complete road closure. We do expect value for money and proper facilities. Organised staff. Planning.

The point is, it's not the road, it the way the event was organised.

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to defend the organisers from, what sounds like valid criticism, BUT wasn't there a couple of extenuating circumstances to consider? 

1. Wasn't the original venue for this year's event........Heia Safari? As that venue has a newly tarred road up to Beyers Naude; tarred for the Trirock as I recollect, it would have made a good venue. But it changed (had to be changed?) at quite short notice? 

2. The additional complexity of running road races in the Cradle may also have driven the organisers to move the route out beyond the Cradle to something less-than-perfect?

On that last-point, the upcoming Satellite Classic is run on similar roads - granted not the N14 - but narrow 2 lane roads, minimal/no emergency lanes, breakfast run car/bike routes, so can we really expect anything different?

I've done the Sattelite route on quite a number of occasions with buddies, (never the race) and never felt unsafe due to traffic. The route we do includes Saartjiesnek and Silkaatsnek.

I've done the Sattelite route on quite a number of occasions with buddies, (never the race) and never felt unsafe due to traffic. The route we do includes Saartjiesnek and Silkaatsnek.

Similar to you, by the sounds of it, I ride that route often in training. On any given day....been ridden off the road onto the gravel, avoided T-bone crashes with cars by some serious avoiding action, avoided head-ons with trucks by riding off the road, watched cars that had overtaken me aim at my riding buddy with their door mirror (missing him thankfully) etc etc. But it's a great route and area to ride and I choose to ride it and return to ride it despite the near-misses. I have friends who will not ride with me out there; for them it's too dangerous.

During races out there, I've also seen marshals direct riders the wrong way, cars drive at marshals and cops at junctions, on-coming traffic drive at riders, riders cross the white line etc etc.

Maybe it's about risk perception and what people are willing to accept as a tolerable amount of risk to expect organisers to 'absorb' on their behalf? Or what minimum standards should be adhered to by race organisers? Incidentally who stipulates these standards, if they exist?

Anyway, as ever, always good to hear everyone's views....

Similar to you, by the sounds of it, I ride that route often in training. On any given day....been ridden off the road onto the gravel, avoided T-bone crashes with cars by some serious avoiding action, avoided head-ons with trucks by riding off the road, watched cars that had overtaken me aim at my riding buddy with their door mirror (missing him thankfully) etc etc. But it's a great route and area to ride and I choose to ride it and return to ride it despite the near-misses. I have friends who will not ride with me out there; for them it's too dangerous.

During races out there, I've also seen marshals direct riders the wrong way, cars drive at marshals and cops at junctions, on-coming traffic drive at riders, riders cross the white line etc etc.

Maybe it's about risk perception and what people are willing to accept as a tolerable amount of risk to expect organisers to 'absorb' on their behalf? Or what minimum standards should be adhered to by race organisers? Incidentally who stipulates these standards, if they exist?

Anyway, as ever, always good to hear everyone's views....

Races for the "funrider" has been around for a few years now. 

Surely if you want to put on a big event, you can have a look at winning recipes? 

Carnival City.  Ride4sight.  94.7.  Argus.

Have a look what they do right and improve on that.

It really is not that difficult......

• Decent water tables.  Not fancy stuff but ENOUGH and COLD.  That's the way to go
  • Bike marshals.  Lots and lots of them.  Road marshals.  Lots and lots.  Boards and signs.  etc.
  • CLEAN toilets and enough of them.  Toilet paper would be nice. 

As Nissan Trailseeker boys about nice toilets charging HALF the entry fee of D2D

Apart from that........nothing else.

If you want to SPOIL the roadies, you throw in a little entertainment.  Sannie sing boeredans and a jumping castle.

Bobs your uncle.  A race that is 2000% better than D2D 2015

So, I emailed Fusion Sport with my grievances (basically my post above). and receive this response from Liesel van Zyl:
"Dear Derek
Alicia is very sick with bronchitis so I only received your email now from Cycle events.
We would like to apologize for the bad experience you had on Sunday. With it being a new venue we experienced quite a few challenges.
The D2D event team would like to thank you for all your valuable feedback with regards to the event.
We have taken note of all the feedback that was mentioned. Our team has been scrutinizing the cycle race, identifying what was the causes of the problems experienced by you.
Your feedback and views therefore is much appreciated."

How infuriating! How dismissive! So I have responded with this:

"Dear Liesel,
I do not, and cannot, accept this as a response.
It is typical of the service that you have provided for the event. My feedback to you was not a survey response, but an actual grievance.
I do not expect a curt dismissal, I expect action.
I expect you and Fusion Sport to own up to what you have done, have a good hard look at your “customer base” and issue a proper apology. To all of the participants and to your sponsors.
It’s the least you can do. Cycling is hard, participating is hard and requires commitment. What you have done is caused good people with honest intentions to loose trust in the sport. How many people do you think were there participating in their first event? Now, how many of those people do you think will think that they have made a mistake? I think that you should be ashamed and realise that we look up to you, as the organisers. In the same way, we expect you to no look down on us and brush us off.
You mention challenges. I disagree. Your event has shown a massive decline in participation during the last few years because your organisation has been going from bad to worse. Every single opportunity that you have had has been cast by the wayside. How can you not cater for toilets for approximately 2000 people (if we include spectators, etc.)? This is not a challenge, it’s a disgrace.
Your little response is an insult to me and to my intelligence. I refuse to get brushed off by you in this manner.
You have the title of MD, I see. Well, I implore of you to stand by that title, take ownership, and manage this situation.
Sincerely,"

I will keep you posted of any responses (should any be received).
I believe it is high time that these organisers be held accountable.

I urge those of you who have posted grievances here to email her, and also let others (your club, Cycling SA, etc.) know how you feel. It's about time that we make an example of these organisers that think that we are there merely for their personal gain.

No more.

There is a slight difference in raising a grievance and being rude about it.

I think you might have crossed that line with your response to them.

If you are so so so angry at them, tell them, and hurt them where it hurts the most, don't do their event again, but to become tyrannical doesn't really help either party.

If you are so so so angry at them, tell them, and hurt them where it hurts the most, don't do their event again, but to become tyrannical doesn't really help either party.

Hi Patch,

I have, at every opportunity, afforded Fusion Sport the first option to play open cards. Their behaviour in this instance is tyrannical. Are you sure that you want to accept behaviour like this?

However, FS have taken it upon themselves to brush US off. I am not the only person to have received a copy and paste response.

If you believe that it is improper to speak out about bad treatment, then so be it. That is your opinion. I however, believe that we do not speak up enough. Our inaction condones our own mistreatment.

Now, by affording FS the opportunity to apologise and in turn realise what has happened and what they have done, if incorrect, then so be it.

I believe that it is also our responsibility to actively challenge the organisers to provide us with the levels of service to match our expectations.

lots of complaining and moaning and boycott threats, but people, the real question is how do we as participants get more involved and ensure that we actually have events to attend in the future?

All good and well jumping up and down after and boycotting events, but what happens when the road races do disappear off the calendar because of poor attendance, lack of profit and too much trouble for what its worth?

I'm sure there wont be new road races filling the gaps. It cant be a cake walk organizing these things, and even with some companys buying up many races and then boosting entry fees like crazy, this model cant work for ever either. I shudder to think what next years Jock will cost, considering this years low attendance? mostly the "old faithful" doing it with not many youngsters.

I enjoy road racing, but the quality of road events certainly isnt improving. 

The D2D route was almost a carbon copy of the Wilro 3 weeks before it; surely a safer more interesting route can be put together. There can be no excuses for poor marshalling, or poor ablutions either.

I race plenty of MTB events too, and its easy to see why its growing hand over fist. Intersting routes, good facilities, decent goodie bags, and great after race activities. Why is it in road races that this only seems to occur for the 947 and Argus? Corporate intervention? What is CSA or PPA actually doing to improve things? what can we do?

Some discussion is needed as to keeping our road races vibrant and growing.

Exactly LMB.

We don't want the events stopped. We want the organisers to step up to the plate and give us a properly organised event.

Quality brings in new riders. Greater turnout. More fun.

Please see my responses below.

Hi Patch,

I have, at every opportunity, afforded Fusion Sport the first option to play open cards. Their behaviour in this instance is tyrannical.Ignorant is probably what you mean, but ok. Are you sure that you want to accept behaviour like this? I have at no point said that their behaviour nor the quality of the event has been acceptable. I stated that if you want a proper response maybe dont be rude about it. Keep your moral high ground. If you keep ranting at them, they will simply ignore you after a while. Or like Sani, get banned :)

However, FS have taken it upon themselves to brush US off. I am not the only person to have received a copy and paste response. Yes, their event quality has been discussed a length, and therefore they have probably received many complaints. I doubt that they are geared to deal with this volume of complaints in the personal manner in which you demand. It might not be acceptable, but be realistic about it.

If you believe that it is improper to speak out about bad treatment, then so be it. Please highlight where I said that, I am pretty sure  actually said the words "tell them". That is your opinion. I however, believe that we do not speak up enough. Our inaction condones our own mistreatment. No problem about speaking out about bad service, I support it 100%, ranting about it and demanding, not so much. There is a way to do things if you truly want resolutions.

Now, by affording FS the opportunity to apologise and in turn realise what has happened and what they have done, if incorrect, then so be it. From what I read above, they did apologise? Maybe not to the level that you deem acceptable.

I believe that it is also our responsibility to actively challenge the organisers to provide us with the levels of service to match our expectations. For all your demanding to be apologised to and demanding to be heard, you havent really stated what it is you want from them?

Your responses to them are aggressive, you might feel its justified to act in that manner, and your anger is understood as it was a bad event. If you want to "hurt" them back because you are feeling aggrieved, you are going about it the right way. But if you want them to make changes to improve the event, maybe suggestions and advice is better than demands of being heard.

Have to agree. Repeated use of 'about time', 'it is high time', 'make an example' suggests something historical perhaps? Or if not, it's hardly a reasoned response to 'make an example' of a particular organiser alone, if the OP feels that there are other races/organisers that are cut from the same cloth? If you don't like a race, that you may have done before, boycott it. Or in a more nurturing way, even ask for some assurances of change, once sufficient time has passed for these to be formulated?

All-in-all a bit too extreme a response to an organiser in too short a time for me. But that's only my opinion, to which you are entitled....

Please see my responses below.

Your responses to them are aggressive, you might feel its justified to act in that manner, and your anger is understood as it was a bad event. If you want to "hurt" them back because you are feeling aggrieved, you are going about it the right way. But if you want them to make changes to improve the event, maybe suggestions and advice is better than demands of being heard.

Actually, Patch, if you had bothered to ready my initial segment, you would have realised that I have asked of them to apologise to the participants and sponsors.

But I can see that your are actually just trying to get a rise out of me.

Well played!

PS. At no time do I expect an individual response or commitment from FS. I am referring to the cycling community at large. As the standard response has now been received by several persons it is apparent that this is an auto-response.

Actually, Patch, if you had bothered to ready my initial segment, you would have realised that I have asked of them to apologise to the participants and sponsors.

Well played!

PS. At no time do I expect an individual response or commitment from FS. I am referring to the cycling community at large. As the standard response has now been received by several persons it is apparent that this is an auto-response.

Well dont expect your money back...

Well played!

I simply tried to give you advice on how I think you could get a better response from them, use it dont use it.

I am however not going to get drawn into a debate with someone who clearly is not thinking rationally. Your statement above illustrates that.

Archived