2nd wheelset for trail bike

DanielJhb

BTW, what else could you do to your bike "permanently" that would make it lighter for good? Other than tyres and wheels you are solidly in the realm of marginal gains, but they do all add up.

What fork, bar and stem are you running? Can you not upgrade to lighter there? Perhaps move to higher spec (and lighter) chain and cassette?

Current setup: Rockshox revelation 140mm, truvativ boobar (760mm), easton haven 50 mm stem, xt cassette and crankset (1×10). I have an easton haven carbon handlebar (710mm) (which is too narrow for trail use) and a 70mm carbon stem (which is too long for trail use), but I guess I could always swop that combo in for races or long distance. I reckon any other changes would be nominal in light of the fact that I will save around 600grams on the tyre change?

Current setup: Rockshox revelation 140mm, truvativ boobar (760mm), easton haven 50 mm stem, xt cassette and crankset (1×10). I have an easton haven carbon handlebar (710mm) (which is too narrow for trail use) and a 70mm carbon stem (which is too long for trail use), but I guess I could always swop that combo in for races or long distance. I reckon any other changes would be nominal in light of the fact that I will save around 600grams on the tyre change?

Ja without going into the debate AGAIN - if your bar and stem are fine for XC or marathons they're fine for all riding.  It's a fitment issue - they either fit your physical build or not.

Be that as it may, ride with what you're comfortable, it doesn't seem you have much to spend your money on - bike's spec sounds great.

Rather save the R5000 and when the new XT 1x11 stuff arrives upgrade to that.

Revelation is a good, Boobar isn't THAT heavy, haven stem also fine... nominal weight saving at the expense of handling, unless you go for a completely new cockpit which will, again, be pricy. For little to no weight loss.

Tires. 

My 2 cents worth

Also have a Pyga 120 650 B

Bought a set of Spank Subrossa rims with hope hubs and stuck Maxxis 2.4 High Roller II upfront and 2.25 Ardent on the rear for my enduro / trail set up

Then took my old Stan Crest with Hope hubs and stuck 'lighter tyres'  for my XC set up if I wanted to do race ect ect

Also stuck some Spank 50 mm stem on and 672mm wide Spank spoon bars on

The outcome of all of this - no matter if I ride  enduro or a 50 km race I stick with what I know and end up using my spank rims every time cause i trust my set up  and I honestly don't feel a difference compared to the 'XC' rims

I even do Mankele 3 towers with the spank  set up and climb perfect but fly down even faster - I do take the spare rims as back up but never end up using them  

My advise - use 1 ltr in your camelback instead of 3 lts

I think the easier answer to your question is n+1..

Much less schlep than faffing with changing tyres or switching rims :P

Ja without going into the debate AGAIN - if your bar and stem are fine for XC or marathons they're fine for all riding. It's a fitment issue - they either fit your physical build or not.

Be that as it may, ride with what you're comfortable, it doesn't seem you have much to spend your money on - bike's spec sounds great.

Rather save the R5000 and when the new XT 1x11 stuff arrives upgrade to that.

Agree and looking forward to the new XT 1x11, sram also releasing an affordable version of the xx1 so will wait to see how things pan out

I think the easier answer to your question is n+1..

Much less schlep than faffing with changing tyres or switching rims :P

Hahaha exactly. Just buy a 29er Hardtail and finished! N + 1 where N is equal to the amount of fights I'll have with my girlfriend.

My 2 cents worth

Also have a Pyga 120 650 B

Bought a set of Spank Subrossa rims with hope hubs and stuck Maxxis 2.4 High Roller II upfront and 2.25 Ardent on the rear for my enduro / trail set up

Then took my old Stan Crest with Hope hubs and stuck 'lighter tyres' for my XC set up if I wanted to do race ect ect

Also stuck some Spank 50 mm stem on and 672mm wide Spank spoon bars on

The outcome of all of this - no matter if I ride enduro or a 50 km race I stick with what I know and end up using my spank rims every time cause i trust my set up and I honestly don't feel a difference compared to the 'XC' rims

I even do Mankele 3 towers with the spank set up and climb perfect but fly down even faster - I do take the spare rims as back up but never end up using them

My advise - use 1 ltr in your camelback instead of 3 lts

Thanks for input. A few gents have expressed similar views. Think i'll change to ground control/purgatory combo, seems to be the middle ground.

A new wheelset is basically the same as N+1.

Everytime you see the wheels without a bike N + 0.1 happens in your head. Next thing you are keeping an eye on the classifieds for a frame for the lonely wheels.

Then suddenly there is a big CWC sale that would round everything off and you see a frame and boom, another bike just happened.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or bought a Zula frame by accident because I've always like them.

Just buy tires and be done with it.

Archived