Puncture - road bike

Roadie_

Hi folks

I went for a ride yesterday, but noticed back tyre was 1/3 flat when I got home (was ok when I left). I have sludge in the tyre. Pumped it up and waited...this morning it's still all good. Did not notice any foreign objects in tyre.

Question: is sludge a permanent fix or should I rather repair the puncture or even replace the tube? Don’t want a repeat during a serious ride/event.

Any advice appreciated.

The sludge should be a permanent repair, IMO. Obviously if this happens frequently and it does not hold air anymore, get a new tube.

Edited by SpilledCoffee

The sludge should be a permanent repair, IMO. Obviously if this happens frequently and it does not hold air anyore, get a new tube.

Thanks for comment - you think it's worth removing tube to look for something inside tyre, or is usually just a something that's pierced and now gone?

Thanks for comment - you think it's worth removing tube to look for something inside tyre, or is usually just a something that's pierced and now gone?

Just to be on the safe side, it might be wise to find out what causes the slow-puncture in the first place;

Agreed. Take the tube out and have a look. Feel on the inside of the tyre for anything that could have caused the puncture

Why would you put sludge in your roadbike tyre. That stuff weighs a ton!

I also have sludge in mine. Ill rather carry the weight than have to stop mid race to fix a flat. 

Edited by allrounder

Thanks for replies folks. Gonna just remove tube, check tyre and might as well patch the hole. Was hoping to just ride and presume the sludge did the trick - but caution is the best option. Sludge will serve purpose during ride, but once home there is time to repair properly I guess.

also using road tubes with sealant in them, has saved me the hassle of changing tubes quite a few times when out training.

also using road tubes with sealant in them, has saved me the hassle of changing tubes quite a few times when out training.

What sealant do you use in your tubes and whats the maximum pressure the tubes can handle after a puncture and re-inflated?

Edited by Eagle_i

What sealant do you use in your tubes and whats the maximum pressure the tubes can handle after a puncture and re-inflated?

Jip. also want to know. According to my knowledge there is no sealant that can handle road wheel tire pressure (8.5 bar and up). Stans is for sure a waist in road tubes or tubbies. (Turns solid after a while / block the valve.) And Tufo...eish...

Jip. also want to know. According to my knowledge there is no sealant that can handle road wheel tire pressure (8.5 bar and up). Stans is for sure a waist in road tubes or tubbies. (Turns solid after a while / block the valve.) And Tufo...eish...

Perhaps, but isn't one of the ideas with tubeless on road so that you CAN run lower pressures?

Perhaps, but isn't one of the ideas with tubeless on road so that you CAN run lower pressures?

You are right.I have been on tubeless for 2 years.No flats jet. I weigh 73 kg and run the front at 70 and rear at 80 Psi.

I only got a flat about 3times in the last 3500odd kms. Takes me less than 5 minutes to change. To me its just part of the sport. Rather 5minutes spent fixing a flat every 1000km's than riding with sealant for 40 odd hours that messes with my wheels' rotation.

To each his own I guess.

Oh, just another thought - I've seen those plastic tyre liners. Besides the extra weight, has anyone tried those and what were your findings?

Oh, just another thought - I've seen those plastic tyre liners. Besides the extra weight, has anyone tried those and what were your findings?

Rather spend the extra money on a decent set of tyres IMO.