Puncture - road bike

Roadie_

Oh, just another thought - I've seen those plastic tyre liners. Besides the extra weight, has anyone tried those and what were your findings?

You need to change your name!

When it comes to road tyres just replace the tubs. It's not worth repairing it unless you don't have a spare. Cause the tire is so slim it will cause a bump in your ride. 

When it comes to puncture prevention rather invest in a decent set of tyres. 

eg: Gatorskins or Endurance Tyres (eg: Michelin Pro4 Endurance or Specialized Armadillo) 

When it comes to road tyres just replace the tubs. It's not worth repairing it unless you don't have a spare. Cause the tire is so slim it will cause a bump in your ride. 

eg: Gatorskins or Endurance Tyres (eg: Michelin Pro4 Endurance or Specialized Armadillo) 

Agreed. I treat tubes as 'consumables'. From frustrating experiences in the past with repaired tubes, I never repair them - just replace.

Agreed. I treat tubes as 'consumables'. From frustrating experiences in the past with repaired tubes, I never repair them - just replace.

Disagree with treating road tubes as consumables. They can easily be repaired (re-cycled, if you like :thumbup: ) with a small patch and function perfectly while saving a little bit of the earth (and a few bucks, for Scottish-gened old me ;) ) at the same time.

Agree with using proper puncture resistant tyres as the way to go, rather than sealant. Believe in Gatorskins myself. Expensive nowadays, but works! Have finished my last pair without a single puncture. Give good mileage too.

If you don't find anything in the tyre/tube check that the valve is screwed in properly. Some tyres have a fixed valve that cant come out but the fact that you have slime in there I would think you have a removable valve. It could be a little bit loose or you have a bit of dry sealant stuck on the sealing surface and preventing it from sealing.

What sealant do you use in your tubes and whats the maximum pressure the tubes can handle after a puncture and re-inflated?

using Velo tubes which come with sealant in them. +/- R70 each. I run them at 8-9 bar, had a slow puncture on tuesday morning, pumped back to 9 bar on Wednesday morning and rode 30km thereafter with no issues.

I ride in Midrand alone at 5am, so my main reason for using them is for purely from a safety point of view. Just feel safer not having to stop for 5 minutes in the dark to change a tyre