Wide Shoes

Uber

Hi,
I'm buying my first set of MTB shoes & pedals, but most shoes that I try are too narrow for my wider feet. Can anyone direct me into which brands have a wider shoe size or a bit wider design? I'm looking at entry level shoes (less glossy the better) that will last.
Secondly, I'm choosing between the Shimano XT, XT trail and M324 pedals....any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi,

I had the same issue. Try Spez or Gaerne shoes, they seem to fit best for a slightly wider foot. Sidi's are narrow, they do a special "wide" version called Mega, but you will probably struggle to find them.

On the pedals. There is a very good review on the XT Trails, right here on the hub, get them :)

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/review-shimano-xt-trail-pedal-r2561

Also try Suplest (not so entry level though).

The XT trail pedals give you more support under you feet because of the bigger surface area, so you'll feel more stable I guess, but the normal XT pedals are lighter and look faster :P

Spez are definitely a good option. Wide enough to fit my inserts and large boats. 

I have also found some of the Shimano range to be wide. Some brands also carry a wide designation - but often no stock available. 

Both Sidi and Lake makes a specific wide fit shoe. I used Sidi but now use Lake. They are the most amazing shoes I have ever ridden in. Lake is just starting out in SA and I got mine directly from the distributor. Mine are fairly high end but they do have lower end shoes as well.

I have wide feet ( like a duck :eek: )

I have bontrager mtb and road

and northwave road

the bontis fit the best without having to go a size up to compensate for the foot width :thumbup:

try bontrager mtb race they are entry level

Edited by velomonatiCT

You'll find all Shimano shoes have the wide version however they not available in SA. You'll have to bring them in yourself. Bonts are also wide.

Hi,

I'm buying my first set of MTB shoes & pedals, but most shoes that I try are too narrow for my wider feet. Can anyone direct me into which brands have a wider shoe size or a bit wider design? I'm looking at entry level shoes (less glossy the better) that will last.

Secondly, I'm choosing between the Shimano XT, XT trail and M324 pedals....any recommendations?

Thanks!

Thanks, Uber, for bringing up a topic I wanted to ask. I am in the same position as him - in my case, my foot size is 10.5 (thanks to farm barefeet upbringing). My whole life I had to upsize (office / tekkies) shoes and ending up with types that is longer than what my feet are.

I see most recommended Bont - can anyone inform us where we can get it - it would be especially useful for Uber (staying in Mosselbay) and for me (staying in Stellenbosch).

Thanks, Uber, for bringing up a topic I wanted to ask. I am in the same position as him - in my case, my foot size is 10.5 (thanks to farm barefeet upbringing). My whole life I had to upsize (office / tekkies) shoes and ending up with types that is longer than what my feet are.

I see most recommended Bont - can anyone inform us where we can get it - it would be especially useful for Uber (staying in Mosselbay) and for me (staying in Stellenbosch).

I see Chris Willemse has bont road shoes. Never actually looked for mtb shoes but I assume they could get them should you want to.

Good shoes are worth the drive. I spent about 2 months searching for the right fit - when you're 110kms into a ride and your feet are burning, I would pay any amount to have some comfort.

Would strongly suggest the trail pedals with with cage around them. With wide feet I struggle to get the cleat far enough back and the extra surface area on the pedal really helps prevent hot foot.

I have the same issue as you - I have normal South African feet, not skinny Euro mens feet that fit into slender shoes.

I bought a pair of Northwave shoes off Wiggle.com e.g http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-hammer-srs-mtb-shoes/

I had spec and all that before, these last far longer (4-5 years, 2-3 rides a week) and are as comfy as hell.

The downside is that you need to pay import duty but otherwise they fantastic.

I am Peeved with Giro, they used to supply a half size, but they don't bring them in any more. I went a size larger and what a waste. Going to have to get new boots.