National Champ aims to claim local downhill title

News bot

South African National DHI Champion, Tiaan Odendaal, will be looking to claim the provincial title at the 2015 KZN Provincial Enduro and Downhill Championships, sponsored by NMI-DSM, taking place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg on 6-7 June.

Click here to view the article

LOL. That's Sabine Thies, a junior girls rider... 

I think the pics got mixed up a bit... Although that pic doesn't seem to be of an Elite lady... Erm... guys?

Yup, the pic of the rider in pink is Sabine Thies. Due to the lack of numbers in the ladies category all the girls ride in the same class. On a good day we have 3 or 4 ladies who race DH (who would be in 3 separate categories), depending on injuries or other commitments.

So, the blurb is correct as Beanie is currently racing in the elite ladies category along with all the other girls.

Yup, the pic of the rider in pink is Sabine Thies. Due to the lack of numbers in the ladies category all the girls ride in the same class. On a good day we have 3 or 4 ladies who race DH (who would be in 3 separate categories), depending on injuries or other commitments.

So, the blurb is correct as Beanie is currently racing in the elite ladies category along with all the other girls.

Ah. Makes sense. Sad, but it makes sense. 

Ah. Makes sense. Sad, but it makes sense. 

In reality we have 8 - 10 girls who ride/race the KZN DH regional series (most from KZN & 1 or 2 from JHB). Most of the ladies are either elite or sub-vet. Beanie is the only regular junior girl, so there is no point to her racing against herself.

That said Beanie is no slouch and has been on the podium in (almost) every race so I think her inclusion in the elite category is a good thing.