build up a sub 10kg bike for less than R10k.

Here is my 'new' bike. I retired my 2002 SC superlight as the bb threads were toast and the pivot bearings also needed to be replaced. Found this on the hub for 1000bucks, was a little but used but still 100%. This is the exact frame that Kevin evans used to kick everyone's butt in 2009 (AFAIK the rm x0 and rm team were the same frame but diff colours). total bike weight is 10.56kg, but that's going to go on a diet soon to get into single digits.

post-1830-0-91235200-1432894695_thumb.jpg

So here's my challenge.

find stuff on the hub (or SA online store if you need something new) - add them together. you have R10k to spend.

Rules -

*has to be 26" (i don't think it will be possible 650B or 29" with 2nd hand prices).

*fork needs suspension

*needs at least 8 gears (ie. no singlespeeds)

*needs to be a full bike (ie. so has to have 2 brakes, saddle etc.)

competition closes end of june. winner gets a weight weenie bike under R10k (if they have cash to burn). i reckon there must be some silly cheap and light vbrake wheels out there in people's garages.

take the bottle cage off and get a carbon seatpost and stem

Bang   :P  :lol:  

under ten kilo   :w00t:  :w00t: :w00t:  :w00t:  

Cool Cat, whats it weigh?

take the bottle cage off and get a carbon seatpost and stem

Bang   :P  :lol:  

under ten kilo   :w00t:  :w00t: :w00t:  :w00t:  

ja ja, but i already have an empty bottle cage mount! will do an audit on the parts after the weekend. i think there's a stans monster alien in the back wheel that needs to be liberated too!

Guest notmyname

I suspect you have the same corricraft couches as me.

Carbon handlebar, stem and seatpost and Bob's you're uncle. 

Not being able to run a 1X drivetrain is a bummer. 

that's heavy for a cat isn't it?

oh im sorry I didn't realise the cat was included .....

whahahaha :w00t:  :w00t: :w00t:  :w00t:  

that's heavy for a cat isn't it?

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/09/0962a92f5e964434e331daaabeddea7a34260cb5d39991bafef54bacab1d06b9.jpg

Here is my 'new' bike. I retired my 2002 SC superlight as the bb threads were toast and the pivot bearings also needed to be replaced. Found this on the hub for 1000bucks, was a little but used but still 100%. This is the exact frame that Kevin evans used to kick everyone's butt in 2009 (AFAIK the rm x0 and rm team were the same frame but diff colours). total bike weight is 10.56kg, but that's going to go on a diet soon to get into single digits.

attachicon.gifDSC_0501.JPG

So here's my challenge.

find stuff on the hub (or SA online store if you need something new) - add them together. you have R10k to spend.

Rules -

*has to be 26" (i don't think it will be possible 650B or 29" with 2nd hand prices).

*fork needs suspension

*needs at least 12 gears (ie. no singlespeeds 1x11)

*needs to be a full bike (ie. so has to have 2 brakes, saddle etc.)

competition closes end of june. winner gets a weight weenie bike under R10k (if they have cash to burn). i reckon there must be some silly cheap and light vbrake wheels out there in people's garages.

you might want to throw LEGAL :ph34r: into the rules,,,,,scamtree i can buy a scalpal for R5K :whistling:

take off the heavy mountain king and X-king tubeless, put on rocket rons without snakeskins and there you go

also change the rules to 1x10

That was a real bargain at R1000! Even has XTR stuff on it. Lucky you. :)  

That was a real bargain at R1000! Even has XTR stuff on it. Lucky you. :)  

no no. the frame (+saddle+seatpost)was R1000

all the parts came off my superlight so doesn't really count. 

take off the heavy mountain king and X-king tubeless, put on rocket rons without snakeskins and there you go

also change the rules to 1x10

ja. tyres definitely the first option for weight weenies!

Did you have to put your dignity as a down-payment when buying that Raleigh?

indeed. 2008 me wants to kick 2015 me's ass.

Archived