DNA gene evidence and report examples

The attachment “evidence and format” (not attached) goes into quite a bit of detail on which genes are being tested and why. It touches on three of the four tests, and hence I have attached the fourth one, DNA Sport.

1. DNA Diet (only file attached) – This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: absorption and metabolism; fat metabolism, obesity and satiety; regulation of metabolism and feeding behaviour; insulin sensitivity and regulation of energy intake; exercise responsiveness; circadian rhythms; fat storage; inflammation.

For this person, a low-carbohydrate diet is indicated, which clarifies the exact approach to be taken for optimum health and sports performance.

1. DNA Health - This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: lipid metabolism; B Vitamins/methylation; detoxification; inflammation; oxidative stress; bone health; insulin sensitivity; iron overload.

For this person, an important discovery was that his vitamin D receptor gene (VDR) was homozygotic with  a bad variant, and hence without Vitamin D supplementation, he would have an increased risk of osteoporosis, especially in the lumbar region, later in life.

1. DNA Oestrogen - This report shows the test results of gene/s in oestrogen biosynthesis, oestrogen metabolism, and phase I and phase II detoxification within the liver.

For this person, his COMT consists of a bad variant, and although a male, oestrogen metabolism and liver detoxification is still of utmost importance. Some of the dietary changes that he was able to make were supplementation with Vitamin B complex and Magnesium to optimise the functioning of COMT during liver detoxification.

1. DNA Sport - This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: injury susceptibility; inflammation; oxidative Stress.

Data for this person indicates, amongst other things, that he is at much higher risk for tendon and ligament injuries, and needs to implement preventative strategies to counteract this. His propensity for inflammation (C-reactive protein) is also high, and hence focusing on recovery and recuperation is of utmost importance should he want to be successful with his training/sport.

Due to size constraints I was unable to upload all the attachments. If you email me at mrcraigvardi@yahoo.co.uk, I can email them to you.

Have a read and go through the attachments. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

DNA Health report example1.pdf

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The attachment “evidence and format” (not attached) goes into quite a bit of detail on which genes are being tested and why. It touches on three of the four tests, and hence I have attached the fourth one, DNA Sport.

1. DNA Diet (only file attached) – This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: absorption and metabolism; fat metabolism, obesity and satiety; regulation of metabolism and feeding behaviour; insulin sensitivity and regulation of energy intake; exercise responsiveness; circadian rhythms; fat storage; inflammation.

For this person, a low-carbohydrate diet is indicated, which clarifies the exact approach to be taken for optimum health and sports performance.

1. DNA Health - This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: lipid metabolism; B Vitamins/methylation; detoxification; inflammation; oxidative stress; bone health; insulin sensitivity; iron overload.

For this person, an important discovery was that his vitamin D receptor gene (VDR) was homozygotic with  a bad variant, and hence without Vitamin D supplementation, he would have an increased risk of osteoporosis, especially in the lumbar region, later in life.

1. DNA Oestrogen - This report shows the test results of gene/s in oestrogen biosynthesis, oestrogen metabolism, and phase I and phase II detoxification within the liver.

For this person, his COMT consists of a bad variant, and although a male, oestrogen metabolism and liver detoxification is still of utmost importance. Some of the dietary changes that he was able to make were supplementation with Vitamin B complex and Magnesium to optimise the functioning of COMT during liver detoxification.

1. DNA Sport - This report shows the test results of gene/s in the following areas: injury susceptibility; inflammation; oxidative Stress.

Data for this person indicates, amongst other things, that he is at much higher risk for tendon and ligament injuries, and needs to implement preventative strategies to counteract this. His propensity for inflammation (C-reactive protein) is also high, and hence focusing on recovery and recuperation is of utmost importance should he want to be successful with his training/sport.

Due to size constraints I was unable to upload all the attachments. If you email me at mrcraigvardi@yahoo.co.uk, I can email them to you.

Have a read and go through the attachments. Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

DNA Oestrogen Report example1.pdf

Okay, I have uploaded all the files, but truncated the evidence file just to show DNA diet evidence.

Evidence and format DNA Diet1.pdf

Good article. Makes some very valid points. But how far are you prepared to go as a amateur. When does cycling change from a sport / hobby to a obsession?

There has been many a debate about this.

I dont think its a switch over, its a spectrum thing. 0 - 100 type range, with the normal laws of diminishing returns applying.

Good article. Makes some very valid points. But how far are you prepared to go as a amateur. When does cycling change from a sport / hobby to a obsession?

Also thought the article was a good one getting one to consider many points.

I guess each person determines how serious they are prepared to become, but as long as it doesn't compromise one's health or family, it should be okay...?

Living up to one's cycling potential and improving all the time, certainly from my perspective, is something I like doing when I can.

There has been many a debate about this.

I dont think its a switch over, its a spectrum thing. 0 - 100 type range, with the normal laws of diminishing returns applying.

Agree with this. Get the basics right and fine-tune accordingly as and when required.

Very interesting article.

Personally I think I qualify as a competitive amateur. I would like to do a PB on every race, not necessarily to win my age/ start group. (but I am working to that, lol)

I started with LCHF after the Argus and although the weight loss is great, my power is gone. I know there is an adaptation period, but after almost 4 months, there is still no improvement in power. As far as I could determined, there are mixed testimonies about this, but the majority of people struggle with their power hence the train LC, race HC approach.

I have just started to experiment with adding more carbs to my diet on HIIT days. This is basically limited to fruit so far (bananas during and orange/ apple before) and little (125 ml) apple juice as well.

I will see how it goes and will add some healthy, whole grain carbs (oats, rye bread, brown rice, sweet potato, etc.)later on.

I'm pretty sure this will lead to an interesting debate, which I'm looking forward to.

I can't believe active sports ppl are actually following the LCHF diet, seriously!?

+1  :thumbup:

I think it would be nice to be a sponsored paid pro. For someone who works M-F 9-5 and can mainly cycle on the weekend I think you get different types of people. There is the casual rider. There is the rider looking to get out there and ride and enjoy and get fitter. You get the rider who rides for fitness. You get the wannabe pro. The categories blur. It may depend on why you ride. I used to ride with someone where it was enjoyable until they took a wannabe pro attitude with no compromise along with discovering Strava etc and all the sociability and fun went flying away and all that was left was a dry slog to get the fastest time possible which meant doing the same trail over and over but only the way they wanted no input allowed and cutting out the fun bits (they slow down your Strava time) and even not stopping to help a concussed cyclist (slows down the Strava time) and not stopping for a water break (slows down the Strava time) and so on. Kinda like the teacher at school who knew her subject matter really well but as a teacher everyone wanted her replaced, you know? 

I can't believe active sports ppl are actually following the LCHF diet, seriously!?

Believe it, because it's true.

Very interesting article.

Personally I think I qualify as a competitive amateur. I would like to do a PB on every race, not necessarily to win my age/ start group. (but I am working to that, lol)

I started with LCHF after the Argus and although the weight loss is great, my power is gone. I know there is an adaptation period, but after almost 4 months, there is still no improvement in power. As far as I could determined, there are mixed testimonies about this, but the majority of people struggle with their power hence the train LC, race HC approach.

I have just started to experiment with adding more carbs to my diet on HIIT days. This is basically limited to fruit so far (bananas during and orange/ apple before) and little (125 ml) apple juice as well.

I will see how it goes and will add some healthy, whole grain carbs (oats, rye bread, brown rice, sweet potato, etc.)later on.

I'm pretty sure this will lead to an interesting debate, which I'm looking forward to.

Maybe others following the LCHF approach could comment on how long it took them to adapt sufficiently to their diet...?

Maybe others following the LCHF approach could comment on how long it took them to adapt sufficiently to their diet...?

I understand this pain. It took me almost a year to really get dialled in. I'm a lot stronger than I've ever been. The best advice I can give is to read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance", and to actively monitor ketone levels. That's how I got to 80% fat. It really is an all or nothing thing. Ketones are amazing, and go a long way to replacing glucose (Not completely, but in many cases). There are some interesting articles and tests (Trying to find them again, I'll post them when I do) on ketone supplementation that show findings of zero loss in performance vs glycogen, but these ketones are ingested, skipping the step of your body creating them, which has the obvious energy penalty and limitations on capacity to produce enough.

Small "cheats" have severe implications, and will set you back for up to a week.

To properly follow LCHF, the problem is basically if you're eating too much protein, or carbs, you're essentially never allowing the full fat adaptation to occur. So you're stuck in zero power empty tank no man's land.

One post is here, but I have another study somewhere... : http://eatingacademy.com/personal/experience-exogenous-ketones

Another one: http://www.bespokecycling.com/blog/posts/ketones-and-cycling-performance

Must find the others....

I understand this pain. It took me almost a year to really get dialled in. I'm not stronger than I've ever been. The best advice I can give is to read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance", and to actively monitor ketone levels. That's how I got to 80% fat. It really is an all or nothing thing. Ketones are amazing, and go a long way to replacing glucose (Not completely, but in many cases). There are some interesting articles and tests (Trying to find them again, I'll post them when I do) on ketone supplementation that show findings of zero loss in performance vs glycogen, but these ketones are ingested, skipping the step of your body creating them, which has the obvious energy penalty and limitations on capacity to produce enough.

Small "cheats" have severe implications, and will set you back for up to a week.

To properly follow LCHF, the problem is basically if you're eating too much protein, or carbs, you're essentially never allowing the full fat adaptation to occur. So you're stuck in zero power empty tank no man's land.

One post is here, but I have another study somewhere... : http://eatingacademy.com/personal/experience-exogenous-ketones

Another one: http://www.bespokecycling.com/blog/posts/ketones-and-cycling-performance

Must find the others....

Thanks for this. Makes for some interesting reading and improves my insight into practical nutritional ketosis.

Thanks for this. Makes for some interesting reading and improves my insight into practical nutritional ketosis.

No problem. I see I had a typo in my post. "I'm not stronger" should read "I'm a lot stronger".

Archived