Urgent help needed - strange problem - UPDATE

nickc

Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try one of the guys at works Maxxis Ikon tomorrow to rule out the tyre.

Will keep everyone updated.

Will be dissapointed if it turns out to be the Racing Ralph tyre, its only 2 years old with about 6 000 kms on it. :)

If you got 6000 Km's out of a rr then the tyre is def the culprit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How deep is the top step of your pool? It the level doesn't go above the hub then put your bike on the top step a sit on it, keep rotating the wheel around to see of an air leaks out under weight?????

How deep is the top step of your pool? It the level doesn't go above the hub then put your bike on the top step a sit on it, keep rotating the wheel around to see of an air leaks out under weight?????

Good idea, no it does not go over the hub - will try that - thanks.

Nick

Hey Watcher, now that your advice about how Ra Ra's will last for 15 000 km plus has backfired you are now trying to palm Permatubes on me :)

So now I have a choice - try get 15 000 km out my Ralphs or change tp Permatubes .

Nickc, If I've told you once, I've told you a million times - don't exaggerate

those tyres are good for only14999 km's not a km more!!

Okay some feedback:

Replaced Racing Ralph with a Maxxis Ikon - thanks Watcher.

Rode to Rosemary Hill plus two laps around Rosemary Hill and back home - tyre stayed up.

So !!  - turned out to be the tyre.

Weird, pump it up rock hard and ride it and within a km is flat with no sign of sealant or sound of escaping air, let it stand and it will stay up for a week.

Note to myself - replace Racing Ralphs after 15 000km :ph34r:

Like to thank everyone for their advice and DiverNick for your kind offer.

Still have a Ra Ra on the front - believe the Racing Ralph / Ikon combo is often used.

Didn't read the entire thread to see if this was suggested, but my 1st thought is that you have a cut somewhere along the bead of the tyre, which presses itself closed when inflated, but then opens and closes from lateral movement in the tyre whilst riding, so won't be apparent by just pressing straight down on the tyre, in the pool, bath or anywhere else...

gave my Racing Ralph (tr ready) to the dog yesterday to play with, geez what a crap tyre, just as well use paper, it had probably done 30km, when I put it on I saw the sealant coming out of the sidewall right on the line, 2 flats in 2 rides, huh uh.... 

Didn't read the entire thread to see if this was suggested, but my 1st thought is that you have a cut somewhere along the bead of the tyre, which presses itself closed when inflated, but then opens and closes from lateral movement in the tyre whilst riding, so won't be apparent by just pressing straight down on the tyre, in the pool, bath or anywhere else...

That was my initial thought - could just not find anything when I had the tyre off !!

Anyway, just glad the Ikon is doing its thing :)

gave my Racing Ralph (tr ready) to the dog yesterday to play with, geez what a crap tyre, just as well use paper, it had probably done 30km, when I put it on I saw the sealant coming out of the sidewall right on the line, 2 flats in 2 rides, huh uh.... 

I think I need to report Watcher to admin for giving *** advice on the hub - telling me 15 000km on a Racing Ralph is no problem :)

I have always used Maxxis tyres - Larsen TTs and Crossmarks and think I will continue with Ikons.

But having said that the Racing Ralph on the front is going strong !!

I think I need to report Watcher to admin for giving *** advice on the hub - telling 15 000km on a Racing Ralph is no problem :)

I have always used Maxxis tyres - Larsen TTs and Crossmarks and think I will continue with Ikons.

But having said that the Racing Ralph on the front is going strong !!

Those tires are considerably heavier than the Ralph's are they not?

Therein lies the difference me thinks, once saw something clever on The HUB that went along the lines of :

Lightweight and Reliability don't go together....

Still have a Ra Ra on the front - believe the Racing Ralph / Ikon combo is often used.

Same here, but for Ardent. Just need to swop around.......Maxxis at front and RR rear.

post-41755-0-30911700-1434356792_thumb.jpg

.......but waiting for latest Conti MK Protection 2.4.........front tire.

Those tires are considerably heavier than the Ralph's are they not?

Therein lies the difference me thinks, once saw something clever on The HUB that went along the lines of :

Lightweight and Reliability don't go together....

True - the Larsen TTs and Crossmarks are UST and HEAVY !! - rumour has it that the German Panzer divisions used them in Russia in WW2.

But the Ikon is closer to the RR in Weight which I quite like.

Same here, but for Ardent. Just need to swop around.......Maxxis at front and RR rear.

attachicon.gifDSC_0009~2.jpg

.......but waiting for latest Conti MK Protection 2.4.........front tire.

I have heard of guys having Ikons on the rear and Ardents on the front as well.

Archived