• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont agree with this

Riding your bike for hours and hours at low intensity wont get your speed up

I didnt say low intensity.

I dont agree with this

Riding your bike for hours and hours at low intensity wont get your speed up

That's good base training, but getting closer to an event it will not help at all. Then you need race simulation training + intervals

Joe Friel is the man in the know about these things. You can get alot of info on his blogs, and build you own training program.

I am working on getting my sister to cycle longer and faster at the moment - it is a lot of trial and error, but, we're also in Midrand if you want to train with us.

I started riding with hubby and a ladies group.  After a while making the commitment to join a guys group and bite the bullet paid off.  It was hard at first but after a while I could keep up without feeling like I was going to die. 

I weigh 100kgs on a good day and race speeds are around 30km/h. I have been riding for two years now but my first race was 6months in with a high ave speed.

Best thing I did was get an Indoor Trainer for interval training (Google will help PLENTY!) and rode with people that were stronger than I was. My goal was (at first) to not be the last guy to the top of the climbs.

It took a bout three month until I was top three o the top of climbs with my riding group.

I then found cycle lab rides to be a good way to improve, as you can choose the speed of the group you ride with. Helped immensely to check where my fitness was and train accordingly.

Just purchased my first power meter today, so really interested in how that will affect my riding.

Keep pushing when you ride and the speeds will go up naturally.

thanks for all the replies.

I would say about 2 hours in the week are done in a relaxed zone, rest of it is OK quality.

I have recently moved to DBN so riding in the week is done around DBN circuit, although flat I push myself really hard. I try to do 30-40km on a tuesday & thursday morning, and most of this is done in HR Zone 4. Yesterday morning I averaged 30.1km/hr over 30km here.

Weekend rides are usually longer and I head out to Umhlanga adding in some hill work and try to get in about 600-800m elevation , with some high intensity training in the mix.

^^^^ Translated = Find a stronger group's wheel to suck.

Lets call a spade a spade

well thats just the thing, while group riding is better, I do not want to rely on a group to make me think I am a better cyclist. 

Is this road or MTB?

How tall are you?

When you say never be able to get to 75kg, why??

sorry it is road

I am 1.83m, and if I get to 75kg I would look sick...

Diet

As in what you eat. You can't out-exercise a bad diet so make sure you're eating properly.

Cross training

Try add in some trail running, swimming, gym work, etc.

Race

See how well you can do in your start group. Make an effort to improve your seeding. Ride with people who push your pace.

You don't need no group to improve, in fact a group makes it easier, especially with road riding and the slip streaming effect.

I train 90% on my own, me and mr garmin 500 and heartrate and strictly follow a training program of low intensity days intermixed with high zone 5 days, eg race simulations.

Diet

As in what you eat. You can't out-exercise a bad diet so make sure you're eating properly.

Cross training

Try add in some trail running, swimming, gym work, etc.

Race

See how well you can do in your start group. Make an effort to improve your seeding. Ride with people who push your pace.

eating has been clean, following a diet plan from dietician and that has helped me lose weight so far. Have not used any weight loss supps etc.

Running, I cannot do. 2km max and I am dead...

but I do add gym work 2-3 times a week. light cardio and some work focusing on my core.

sorry it is road

I am 1.83m, and if I get to 75kg I would look sick...

1.83m and weigh how much? and you worried about looking lean and mean sick?

1.83m and weigh how much? and you worried about looking lean and mean sick?

currently weight 97. I think 85 or below if I can get there would be good. Lean is good, skinny is not...

Archived