Giant anthem

eccc whippet

Does giant backup their products?

Yes, Dragons Sports is the local agent and they have a very good reputation for replacing frames that break.

A few years ago one of the Anthem models had a design flaw that caused some to break at the top tube-seat tube junction. Dragons and Giant stuck with their product and honoured the frame warranty. If you had proof of purchase, your frame was replaced, sometimes within days. That's how they built their reputation.

The frame design has since been fixed and the current bikes do not have the same issue at all but are known for their sturdiness.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear there is a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Yip, first owner only though so buy new.

Howzit isetech.

I was down in Durbs over Easter where my Anthem X3 26er was stolen. I decided to replace it promptly to enjoy the trails some more before returning to Jhb.

Needless to say, I ended up returning to Cyclesphere (where I'd bought my 1st Anthem) and bought a new Anthem X29er. Greg and his team are awesome, as you've already experienced - so you won't go wrong there.

As for the bike, the Anthem X29er has been an absolute revelation! Every ride leaves me with a huge grin. It's a great overall package at the price.

Though affordability was not an issue, I could not justify a Scott over the proven value for money, proven Maestro suspension and reliability of the Anthem.

I recommend you buy a 2015 with the Fox CTD Evolution shocks. And for the lifetime warranty on the frame.

Then enjoy creating great memories...

post-70738-1434937616,0901.jpg

A small upgrade on the Anthem would be the fox factory fit fork, although I have not ridden with an evolution fork the reviews have recommended the performance of the factory is that much better.

Not sure how this would affect the price though.

Yip, first owner only though so buy new.

...and keep your proof of purchase. Also, if ever you need to claim, try to do it through the same shop where you bought it. Second best is through another official Giant dealer.

Got the 2014 Anthem X Advanced 29er and the 2014 Scott Spark 920, feels like two different bikes, I tend to lean a little bit more to the Scott than the Anthem, with the Scott you can adjust BB, the Anthem has a very low BB and get pedal strokes, flat fast single track riding the Scott takes the Giant, but loose climbing sections the Giant takes the Scott again, also depending how big the obstacles are, 

Both great bikes at the end of the day, I am contemplating selling the Giant and getting a Motorbike again

Got the 2014 Anthem X Advanced 29er and the 2014 Scott Spark 920, feels like two different bikes, I tend to lean a little bit more to the Scott than the Anthem, with the Scott you can adjust BB, the Anthem has a very low BB and get pedal strokes, flat fast single track riding the Scott takes the Giant, but loose climbing sections the Giant takes the Scott again, also depending how big the obstacles are, 

Both great bikes at the end of the day, I am contemplating selling the Giant and getting a Motorbike again

The BB height adjustment is miniscule so that can't really be a deciding factor surely, they both have low BB height, both suffer from pedal strike.

The Giant has next to no pedal bob and this is a big plus IMO, whereas the Scott has a remote lockout on most models for a reason.

I know I say this almost anytime an Anthem is being discussed but slap a 120mm fork on it and thank me later.

transforns the ride immeasurably.

pulling the trigger on that next month.

which fork you riding by the way?

The BB height adjustment is miniscule so that can't really be a deciding factor surely, they both have low BB height, both suffer from pedal strike.

The Giant has next to no pedal bob and this is a big plus IMO, whereas the Scott has a remote lockout on most models for a reason.

pedal bob probably depends on damper settings, I've set the Giant to slow to compensate for the over the handle bar feeling I got, and now suffers from pedal bob, both large frames, but the Giant top tube a little shorter that the Scott, my Honest opinion is that the Giant was a bit of an old man bike, you really have to push it hard before it comes into its own, I am by no way dissing the bike, I love it, like I said, depending on what type of rider you are, both have it weaknesses and strengths, the Twinlock is actually something I really miss on the Giant, Specially if you doing those long 5km gravel road climbs 

Got the 2015 Anthem SX for mrs mountain_lion on Friday to replace her stolen 2007 Anthem.

Of course it was not on for her to have a new bike without something for me, so I got the 2015 Trance 2 :) Both 27.5 wheels.

Dragon sports were fantastic with their support during the evaluation period. We had a demo Anthem 1 and Trance 2 on two weekends (unfortunately no demo SX available).

If your LBS does not offer to get demo bikes, contact Dragon directly and ask them to arrange with the LBS.

The Anthem SX (Anthem with 120mm fork and dropper post) is a great bike. If you race XC for podium, get the normal Anthem; if not get the SX - so much more fun.

(For even more fun on the down hills and rough stuff, get the Trance).

In general the Giant bikes are all very good value for money.

I'm waiting for the new 2016 Anthems. As other post stated they will be here end of July.

The 29'r is new and not just a paint change, but a reworked model.

Should be good

Does giant backup their products?

I cracked an Anthem a year ago, had a brand new frame with built up bike 1 week later. No questions. Use a LBS with a good relationship with the dealers.

Glad you found a shop and bike to suit you Ian.

I did thanks Wayne...your price was still better...the guys at cyclesphere cycles have been very helpful...as i mentioned...lesson learnt...next time i go looking for a bicycle i will dress for the occasion and drive my weekend vehicle so i look like i have money to spend and not ask such dumb questions ;)

It is such a pity that waynes world of bikes and baits is so far out of town...thanks for taking the time to assist with my questions.

Archived