On Test: CycleOps PowerSync indoor trainer

Nick

Jeez guys - it's only $6 pm! No train smash - and the apps are wonderful - such a wide selection, all the stats, .... and is maintained, thus always up to date. Come on now, if you can afford R12k for the trainer, R100 pm is nothing! I enjoy mine to the hilt!

Well my destop version cost $15 a month. Or R183 per month or R2196 a year.

actually CVT for desktop is only R1454 (based off current exchange) for the year if the year is bought in advance. 15/mth month - month12/mth for a 6 month contact10/mth for a 1 year contact http://www.cycleops.com/virtualtraining/apps-pricinghere is a link

R183 a month sir. Can forward you my credit card if you like.

Thought at first the month to month option was the better option with no future obligation. Will review it now for a cheaper option.

this will be my last comment on this, as it is not my intension to high jack this review.

been using my power beam since September last year. It is really an awesome training tool. The app Virtual Trainer is also cool.

Edited by Mongoose!

The KICKR is the bomb. Height adjustable from 24" thru to 29"er. Literally hundreds of apps as the API is entirely open source. Quiet as well. Sure you have to remove the back wheel, but makes power much more accurate. Some of the apps do attract a monthly fee and some are just on the app store as a one off. The higher price is justified. Sure I am biased but when you add in all the other stuff you have to spend on many other trainers - you get pretty close to the KICKR anyway.

The KICKR is the bomb. Height adjustable from 24" thru to 29"er. Literally hundreds of apps as the API is entirely open source. Quiet as well. Sure you have to remove the back wheel, but makes power much more accurate. Some of the apps do attract a monthly fee and some are just on the app store as a one off. The higher price is justified. Sure I am biased but when you add in all the other stuff you have to spend on many other trainers - you get pretty close to the KICKR anyway.

CycleOps is in the same position with their API and being an open source for other trainers. readers should not get caught into thinking that just because they have a CycleOps they MUST use the CVT software, this is NOT the case. one simply needs to buy the hardware (cycleops, wahooo, tacx etc) and then sync in with the various software options out on the market as they feel suits their needs best.

this review is two fold, one to review the hardware (powersync) and two the CycleOps virtual training application that is also open to many other trainers out on the market. 

My Kickr is pricy, but still number one :-)

Why? because you bought one?

I am not sure if you know this but so are the cyclops trainers...ito API

PS how much more accurate is the kickr? 1%, 5%, 10%....seeing as though you said much, I take you meaning its so much that its noticeable and have done the comparison 

Oh and what other stuff are you talking about...My setup works fine with just the trainer and the bike...what else is required that you get bundled with the kickr?

DCRainMaker did a comprehensive test last year with a number of other high end devices and for the most part the variations where negligible but sure comparing between e.g. stages cranks etc vs KICKR are not the most scientific method. However with wheel off design and no tire etc involved the direct chain to device will give better readings when calibrated properly.

That said if not calibrated the variations can be huge...

On the API question...thats great coz the more software the merrier. I was just responding to some earlier comments in the thread. Some homework would have revealed that though.

This is really awesome training tools. (as also the Power beam Pro. Online racing is great and big fun. Riding video routes with controlled resistance is quit realistic and time passes quick. But for me there is a down side also. I cannot use my Power beam without a app. And apps cost money. Every month so I was quit disappointed once I realized that I was unable to use (power reading / setting the resistance manually) my R12k toy without an monthly paid app. Cycleops Virtual Trainer offer some free ride option, but the main goal is to rather demo the app. And only limit it to a 20 minutes session which is quit useless. So if you consider buying one, also be prepared to be sucked into the world of greedy apps.

EDIT:

Sorry Mongoose I got my Joule's mixed up (Did not realize there was a version without gps).

The price I mentioned of $50 is for the joule computer without gps.

The Joule gps is way more expensive +/- $269

Not quite correct, if you buy the powerbeam with a cycleops joule bike computer you can control the resistance via gradient or watts from the computer on your handlebar without any internet connection. The joule costs $50 if you buy it separately. When I bought my powerbeam a year ago it was offered as part of the package. I've used it plenty and only use the app for the online races or to download test data.

Edited by SwissVan

Quick question, I'n starting to use my Cycleops Powerbeam a bit more, mostly Sufferfest videos, but want to do more Workouts.

I only use an iPad as "head unit" - with CVT software.

I find that I spin out quite easy, struggling to get resistance up. How do I increase resistance to stimulate climbing? Do I dial into desired FTP and keep cadence low for resistance to automatically adjust?

Thanks!

Quick question, I'n starting to use my Cycleops Powerbeam a bit more, mostly Sufferfest videos, but want to do more Workouts.

I only use an iPad as "head unit" - with CVT software.

I find that I spin out quite easy, struggling to get resistance up. How do I increase resistance to stimulate climbing? Do I dial into desired FTP and keep cadence low for resistance to automatically adjust?

Thanks!

have a look at trying to do this, 

i would base the workouts off % of FTP this way if your FTP changes throughout the session you dont need to recreate the workouts, you still riding at say 80% but just going faster at a higher FTP