Mirror mirror on my.....

DoubleJ

Also agree with 2 above posts,if you practice to look behind you without veering off course it will be much faster and safer than trying to focus on a small mirror on youre helmet or youre glasses.

I tried one in the 80's. Like Reaper said, I found that I was spending a lot of time trying to focus on the small mirror, instead of in front of me. It was quite difficult to see clearly with eyeball tremor at a bit of speed. I quickly gave it up.

I agree with with the above post but if you are still desperate for a mirror I have met some one who attached a dentists mirror to his glasses

I agree with with the above post but if you are still desperate for a mirror I have met some one who attached a dentists mirror to his glasses

Next time I go to the dentist I'm going to wait for him to leave the room.

To b honest, if I were you I would practice looking backwards without losing your line, moreh an worrying about a mirror. Make sure you have some good rimless sunglasses so that you rotate your head the least, and practice on your street or a quiet parking lot to look around without moving off a straight line.

I struggled at first but have learnt not to move my body but just rotate my neck, and to look a lot faster than I did at first.

You'll be much safer than relying on a mirror for a long long time.

You guys are obviously quite young.... and never played rugby in your young days... in the front row...

I want to look behind me I basically have to turn my bike around...

You guys are obviously quite young.... and never played rugby in your young days... in the front row...

Played rugby all since high school. Position? Loose head prop.

Current weight is 108 kgs.

I know your struggle.

Little tip: get up out of the saddle and turn your shoulders. Keep your arms loose and your hips right on top of the top tube. Again, need a good set of rimless sunglasses to improve visibility. You're not looking, but more peeking with peripheral vision when looking behind. Dot ride with earphones as you need to keep an ear out for what's coming, giving you a hint when to look and when not to.

Also, look out for the new garmin "backtracker", can't remember the garmin name. It'll tell you what's coming up behind you so you don't have to look.

Played rugby all since high school. Position? Loose head prop.

Current weight is 108 kgs.

I know your struggle.

Little tip: get up out of the saddle and turn your shoulders. Keep your arms loose and your hips right on top of the top tube. Again, need a good set of rimless sunglasses to improve visibility. You're not looking, but more peeking with peripheral vision when looking behind. Dot ride with earphones as you need to keep an ear out for what's coming, giving you a hint when to look and when not to.

Also, look out for the new garmin "backtracker", can't remember the garmin name. It'll tell you what's coming up behind you so you don't have to look.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/gear-news/garmin-introduce-the-varia-line-of-smart-cycling-devices-r2880

There you go...

Elledgedly.....this guy also played in the front row some time in the past.

post-67031-0-42199000-1436042693_thumb.jpg

Edited by DoubleJ

Unfortunately I have one of these lying about. I got it from CRC and anybody can have it if they want it. (Drop me a pm.)

It is very light and I used it once or twice.

The trick is it has to be mounted in the correct position although the mirror section can pivot. Very difficult to find the sweet spot.

Very difficult to see an object coming at you due to the size as well as head/road vibration. This, on a small moving area, became a mission to see and eventually you try and keep your head still and try looking into the thing and not watching the road ahead. Far quicker and easier to turnaround and see what is happening behind you in full size.

Also, putting your helmet down is a problem because the mirror keeps popping off.

(For road) Bar end mirror for me, on all my bikes, work like a charm. As for the "cool" factor, I stopped worrying about such things several decades ago. Unfortunately doesn't work on straight bars

I use the Italian racing mirror, a bit pricey but really good quality, I can easily see cars over 100m behind.

It's also a great anti-wheelsucker tool. I use that function regularly in the cradle to dispose of the cool youngsters

Edited by Falco

You know.....one of these days we're going to have to ad another handlebar on our bikes with all the sh!t they want us to carry on it. 

Here's the reason why I started looking for some sort of rear view device....there's a piece of tar road that I have to ride to get to a specific gravel road. Now it has a sidewalk to the left that's about 1m in width (with a 90 degree curb). There's a bridge I have to cross (tar road) and then I have to cross the road to the right to get to the gravel. Problem is that I cant ride on the sidewalk as there always pedestrians or joggers on it. I cant ride in the road as it's a very busy section. So I have to ride in that little piece between the tar and the curb thats about 20cm wide (which they conveniently forgot to tar). Now for me to cross, I have to get out of my seat turn my head and hope that I dont hit either the curb to the left or the little hump that the tar makes to the right, because then I'm going to bliksem into the road and get run over....

To go and buy 5 different Garmin devices for this just doesn't make sense, but holy moly that's some cool tech....

I think I'm going to start looking for a different route.