ppa road membership????

isn

As a road cyclist who have attended a few road races, which includes Tiletoria, Durban dash, langebaan lagoon, Stellebosch Cycle tour, and CTCT races, I'm ask myself about PPA benefits for a roadie? . I'm left wondering as to whether it's worth registering again for my ppa license? Most of the races taking place in the Western Cape is mtb races which there is an abundance of. If I were to be a mtb rider I would''ve definitely benefited from the ppa. Yes there are a few more road races conducted by the ppa which I have missed but not nearly enough compared to mtb. I do admit that, winter session is not favourable to road races as compared to mtb, mtb seems to be an allyear round sport.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether I should register?

join a club and race in the wp league.

AGREE :thumbup:

notice the total disinterest in the ppa theres hope for us all yet

Well that's what I've done with my son so far. I've let him joined a club and csa and he is racing every weekend now. With the club he gets ppa membership so that he can do those little races as well. It's just on if you compare the two membership fees. Csa and wp road cycling offer much more and even more recognition too I guess. So with ppa it's a waste of money?

Strangely, 2 days ago I looked at the road calendar of PPA and definitely nothing other than the the One Tonner. I was hoping that there will be 1 or 2 races before that, hone the bunch riding skills, practice not to get dropped etc.

I do know that the road races do pick up after September so hopefully there will be more road races and then the PPA membership looks a viable option, but if you a roadie and looking at the events page now it doesn't look good if you a roadie.

I was checking the MTB races for the next few months and there are plenty, more than one on many weekends.

I do enter a few PPA mtb races so I'm ok for now

Lol, honing the skills of not being dropped, oufy that's sounds so much like me. Don't think ppa realises that to be part any form of real cycling competition that their should be continuous practising and RACING allyear round. Thanks for confirming the fact of the few road races on the ppa calender. You strengthening the argument against registering ;)

For the Burger and CTCT, would CSA membership suffice for being seeded?

For the Burger and CTCT, would CSA membership suffice for being seeded?

AFAIK you won't need PPA or CSA.

To be seeded you just needed to take part in certain races. Your ppa membership gives you certain "informative" emails and limited reduced rates to enter these races. Your seeding is determined by the time it takes to complete the pre required races. The longer you take the further back you are placed and vice versa.

PPA, like any organization, has its warts.

I'll register again for these few reasons:

I roll in B seeding and it is an awesome annual performance challenge to enter at least 8 races per season between Sept - March.

Some of the bucks are in service to other community projects.

I get a discount as a member with race entries.

PPA, like any organization, has its warts.

I'll register again for these few reasons:

I roll in B seeding and it is an awesome annual performance challenge to enter at least 8 races per season between Sept - March.

Some of the bucks are in service to other community projects.

I get a discount as a member with race entries.

Agreed that it service other community projects and as well as in partnership with other charity/fund raising organisations. That is not the point. The point I tried to make is there is so few races.

I'm sure there are many guys that's involved in many a community projects because life is about not just 'me/you" but "us".

I want more events/races and ppa can deliver this or am I wrong. It's just so few that's all I'm thinking????

Well let's hope some member of ppa can give us an answer?

I speak under huge correction based on a little knowledge. Ppa in it's efforts is trying to build the cycling sport amongst communities and schools. Ppa helps to raise funds for different organisations and clubs. Clubs being social cycling or racing clubs, which thereby bring many people including development riders into the sport. Some of these clubs/organisation then get ppa assistance in hosting race events whereby some(not all) development riders get a reduced entry fee per race. These entry fees also gets limited to a certain number per club, which is understandable, so that it don't become a free for all I guess. Some clubs get funding if they promote cycling at schools if my understanding is correct. The funding is suppose to be spent at that school to promote or start cycling and thus enhance the club's membership numbers which will bring more people to the ppa/sport???

How they help the organisations I have no knowledge of.

As said before, i speak under correction. Anyone else with better knowledge? Please?

Lol I get the picture now. Best to just quit and make my own decision.

Thanks guys.

Archived