PWC Bike Park

Jester6

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone been to the pwc bikepark in Bryanston recently? Last time I was there they were busy with trail upgrades and signage updates, but the only trail that was finished was the newer green mile if I remember correctly. They also seemed to be focusing a lot on things like kids parties and trail running?

Is it worth going through at the moment?

Any comments would be great!

Happy Friday!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been myself, but mate's been quite often in the month...says it's awesome.

Raving about it.

Obviously not for 100's of kms, but for an hour, 90 mins of good fun he says it's really good.

Definitely worth it! Just go earlish ( before 10am ) if you want play on the jumps and pump track. It gets crazy busy with sub - seven year olds by mid morning over the weekends.

Was there on wednesday.

Only track closed was everglades.

I rode everything else. 10km with 110mt climbing.

The inca trail is quite fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember something about paying R40 after 4pm.. Is that still the case- anybody know?

• 4 weeks later...

Went yesterday afternoon for the first time in a while...

Firstly, R75??? SEVENTY FIVE RAND!!!  This is up from R60 which was already expensive.

Secondly, the last time I rode there Hilton had only done what is now known as Berm Baby Berm. It was really good, and we had high hopes for the rest of the planned upgrades. 

Since then, they have dumbed down that trail, which is very disappointing. What is the point of splitting the trail into a hard loop or easy loop if you make the hard loop easy?

Thirdly, Zombie Birdhouse was a great little trail, with some challenging climbs, drops and even a couple of smallish gaps. Sure it needed some work, but it was basically there. Now it lacks character and does not inspire a second loop.

Fourth, What happened to Drop Zone? My mate rode it just before I arrived and he was so unimpressed that he didn't even want to do it again so I could have a look. 

Lastly, That new stuff between the skills area and the BMX track... I am sure it cost a lot of money to build, but it adds almost no value to the park.

Overall, I am sorry to say that I just can't see myself going back there, especially at R75 a pop. I know that others might love what they have done, but for me it has missed the mark.

Firstly, R75??? SEVENTY FIVE RAND!!!  This is up from R60 which was already expensive.

Secondly, the last time I rode there Hilton had only done what is now known as Berm Baby Berm. It was really good, and we had high hopes for the rest of the planned upgrades. 

Since then, they have dumbed down that trail, which is very disappointing. What is the point of splitting the trail into a hard loop or easy loop if you make the hard loop easy?

Thirdly, Zombie Birdhouse was a great little trail, with some challenging climbs, drops and even a couple of smallish gaps. Sure it needed some work, but it was basically there. Now it lacks character and does not inspire a second loop.

Fourth, What happened to Drop Zone? My mate rode it just before I arrived and he was so unimpressed that he didn't even want to do it again so I could have a look. 

Lastly, That new stuff between the skills area and the BMX track... I am sure it cost a lot of money to build, but it adds almost no value to the park.

Overall, I am sorry to say that I just can't see myself going back there, especially at R75 a pop. I know that others might love what they have done, but for me it has missed the mark.

WOAH!

I know quality trails cost money but WOAH!

Bloody hell. I was planning on packing my bike to work and getting a multi pass to go get some riding in during the week but not sure I want to give my money to them. That's just greedy.

I know they spent big money on the upgrades but someone like me that won't use the bmx and pump track - paying even R50 a ride is not worth it. (Assuming on multi card price increase as well)

They tried to sell me a membership:

R300 joining fee and R180 per month thereafter. This is much more reasonable for people that want to go a couple of times a week.

I don't go enough to justify this monthly expense, notwithstanding my disappointment with the trails.

Joining Fee! WTF! I don't want to join, I want to ride....

R75 for a quick loop.... Good luck with that. Fortunately, the singletrack runs from their doorstep all the way to Harties.

Yeah those trails have been so dumbed down it is ridiculous. For a half decent rider the only fun we can actually have is on the pump or bmx track with a DJ. As for trail riding, if you half decent rider then there won't be anything to challenge you or to increase your smile factor.

It's really a pity - that park had/has so much potential. Luckily we have numerous other options to use - Red Barn, Wolwespruit, Avianto, Buffelsdrift, Northern Farm, Groenkloof to name my few favourites

Here's my take:

(Bearing in mind I can ride the Spruit for free from my house)

I need to see value for money. Things I consider:

• A safe riding environment and safe parking
  • Quality singletrack
  • Manicured features like berms, jumps etc
  • Access to basic facilities - toilets
  • Access to luxury facilities - food and drinks, showers, braai facilities, kids facilities
  • Place to relax and chill after the ride
  • Driving distance (i.e. cost of fuel) to get to the venue
  • Time taken - I have a young family and time is precious - the quicker I can ride and get home the better (wife agrees) :)

Using the above criteria let's compare some venues.

PWC - no cost of travel, has excellent facilities, fun trails and extra riding features, safe and secure, close to home, sells beer and burgers. Total cost = R75.00

Northern Farms - R40 (I could be wrong, it's been a while) - 20km from home, so about R50 petrol cost, no dedicated kids riding, no beers, no "bonus" riding like pump track etc. Total cost = R90

See my point?

So really, once I have bought my card and paid the joining fee etc, PWC is pretty good value. Yes, the total trail length is around 10-15km if you do a full lap, so not great for distance, but it's fun and a great workout.

Gotta agree, aside from Berm baby berm, all the trails feel downgraded...what's the point of trying to make long loops in a small bike park-there are no shortage of long fireroad/singletrack trailcentres in JHB? The attraction at PWC was the short MEGA FUN trails...now they're mostly long and MEH! I'll be keeping my R75, thanks.

Archived