PWC Bike Park

Jester6

the bike park is in bryanston... slightly more expensive real estate than where red barn or wolwespruit is at.

Accross the road from the bike park, tiny little flats sell for R2m, so I think whoever owns the land could likely get a lot more money from selling the whole place off to a developer.  Compared to not having a bike park at all, I think R75 is a better proposition for most okes in JHB than to need to drive to PTA or Alberton for similar riding priced at half the fee.

Business is business, let them sell...

#Feesmustfall

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went yesterday afternoon for the first time in a while...

Firstly, R75??? SEVENTY FIVE RAND!!!  This is up from R60 which was already expensive.

Secondly, the last time I rode there Hilton had only done what is now known as Berm Baby Berm. It was really good, and we had high hopes for the rest of the planned upgrades. 

Since then, they have dumbed down that trail, which is very disappointing. What is the point of splitting the trail into a hard loop or easy loop if you make the hard loop easy?

Thirdly, Zombie Birdhouse was a great little trail, with some challenging climbs, drops and even a couple of smallish gaps. Sure it needed some work, but it was basically there. Now it lacks character and does not inspire a second loop.

Fourth, What happened to Drop Zone? My mate rode it just before I arrived and he was so unimpressed that he didn't even want to do it again so I could have a look. 

Lastly, That new stuff between the skills area and the BMX track... I am sure it cost a lot of money to build, but it adds almost no value to the park.

Overall, I am sorry to say that I just can't see myself going back there, especially at R75 a pop. I know that others might love what they have done, but for me it has missed the mark.

Right there with you way to expensive for the amount of trails available and total distance availale i wont spend my money here

Lastly, That new stuff between the skills area and the BMX track... I am sure it cost a lot of money to build, but it adds almost no value to the park.

The skills area is a kiddies sone on Saturday mornings.

As are the pumptrack and the BMX track.

So for R75 you only really get the singletrack sections.

We had a team event there on Friday and I rode the trails for the first time in 2 years. It is nice, but definitely not R75 nice if you consider I pay R35 for entrance into Groenkloof or R30 at Wolwespruit in pretoria.

The trails are in good condition and in general I think it is a nice experience for more inexperienced riders as well as kids. The new features seemed like a hit with the kids.

If you want your kids to ride in a safe fun environment, then it is an awesome place to go. If you however are an experienced rider who's usual ride is 80km+ then its a bore...

depends on what you mean by an experienced rider...   riding 80 km's a day does not make you experienced, it only makes you fit.  when i lived in JHB i used to cycle to the bike park via the spruit to get the distance, and use the bike park facilities for skills development.  There are no other places in JHB where you can learn to jump, ride drop-offs or learn how to take bermed  corners real fast.  Maybe if we had more "experienced" guys making use of the bike park facility, we'd have less walkers on the singletrack... just sayin

R75 is too much - says everyone who won't hesitate to drop R30 on a protein bar and R25 for a GU!

First time in many years that I've been to the bike park. The trails are nice & flowing. Miss some of the more challenging bits, but overall a great workout for a Saturday morning.

Except the kids all over the pumptrack ... one that coudln't have been more than 2 years old ... so we left.

Looking at the numbers I can see that keeping the kids happy are a very big part of their business model ... but if a kid under 5 pays R20, and I pay R75, then maybe it's not unreasonable to expect that the adults can have right of way on the pumptrack???

Or just see the kids in your way on pump tracks as extra obstacles... :devil:  

R75 is too much - says everyone who won't hesitate to drop R30 on a protein bar and R25 for a GU!

The okes beeeyatching about entrance fees are usually on R75k bikes, with R10k garmins; R5k shoes and all the top, top kit...

R75 buys you a 3D movie ticket or a burger...to put things in perspective.

...or 6 litres of petrol.

Business is business, let them sell...

#Feesmustfall

...or 6 litres of petrol.

Maybe you two can get together...

The okes beeeyatching about entrance fees are usually on R75k bikes, with R10k garmins; R5k shoes and all the top, top kit...

I have only been there twice in the last month or so - both times I got a discount for arriving after 2pm on a friday... R50 - money well spent when you watch your non cycling mates waste themselves...... :)

Cleary Enduro motorbike skills don't translate so well to bicycles....

I don't have fancy kit, I ride in mrprice boardshorts and those T-shirts with the "funny" pictures on. My gloves all have holes in them and so do most of my socks.

I don't eat protein bars or GU.

I definately don't ride a R75k bike.

3D movies are lame but burgers are cool on pay day.

I have a x20 entry card I bought in January...used it 3 times  :eek:  (so yes in this year I have been to the park 3 times = most for me in a year too)

Then it worked out to R30 per entry

Guess for me it isn't about the entry price alone (although I wont pay R75 to go there) it just isn't fun to go alone I guess...I'll rather go spend 5 hours in the cradle alone on my road bike - more endorphins in that ride 

I have a x20 entry card I bought in January...used it 3 times  :eek:  (so yes in this year I have been to the park 3 times = most for me in a year too)

Then it worked out to R30 per entry

Guess for me it isn't about the entry price alone (although I wont pay R75 to go there) it just isn't fun to go alone I guess...I'll rather go spend 5 hours in the cradle alone on my road bike - more endorphins in that ride 

From dodging cars or trying to jump each of those rubber flap things in the side lane?

From dodging cars or trying to jump each of those rubber flap things in the side lane?

There's only about 5 of those rubber flat things left...and not too many cars at 5:30 am  :P

I don't have fancy kit, I ride in mrprice boardshorts and those T-shirts with the "funny" pictures on. My gloves all have holes in them and so do most of my socks.

same here Board shorts a vest old maxed bike gloves and definately not a 75 k Bike i wish !!!!!!!  In it for the riding not the gear and at 75 rand pwc not worth it

You can go cycling in Switzerland but R75 is too expensive  :whistling:

Archived