Do indoor trainers damage carbon frames?

quickdraw

Hi, I was wondering if clamping ur frame in an indoor trainer has any long term adverse effects on the frame.

Done some searching on the web and came up with a few yesses and nos.

Any hub opinions? Not talking about marks on quick releases, etc but more along the lines of stress issues with the frame being clamped at the axle.

I think its more a matter of big big people on carbon frames on indoor trainers damaging their bikes...

It depends on the trainer and how it is clamped. I did a lot of training at Cyclelab on those Cateye trainers and you could visibly see the bike flexing on the trainer when it was under power. Over time that couldn't be good - Carbon doesn't like that.

I eventually spoke to Andrew and got and old steel frame for training (wish i had it now - it was a Bianchi). He agreed with me and actually pointed it out numerous times on other people in the class when i was there.

The Cateye clamped the frame rigidly by the fork and rear axle. It may differ depending on how the frame is secured to the trainer.

No science - just opinion.

Dont think so based solely on my personal experience - bought my Cateye CS1000 in 1999, still use it very regularly and no damage to my bike to date

I think it might depend on how you use it. May be if you do standing sprints over a long time might cause some damaged.

It depends on the trainer and how it is clamped. I did a lot of training at Cyclelab on those Cateye trainers and you could visibly see the bike flexing on the trainer when it was under power. Over time that couldn't be good - Carbon doesn't like that.

I eventually spoke to Andrew and got and old steel frame for training (wish i had it now - it was a Bianchi). He agreed with me and actually pointed it out numerous times on other people in the class when i was there.

The Cateye clamped the frame rigidly by the fork and rear axle. It may differ depending on how the frame is secured to the trainer.

No science - just opinion.

I still uses my cateye trainer with a steel bike ,after many years still one of the best trainers_but not good for carbon frames

Thing is tho, most carbon frames have a weight limit around 100kgs.

Let's also add in the regular abuse it takes while actually riding. With stiff wheels, rain over things like potholes, shitty roads, train tracks, and mate hitting speed bumps at high speed, and that frame is built for a lot of abuse.

I doubt you on a trainer, even during standing efforts or sprints, will cause much damage. Remember that carbon has no limit on cycles of fatigue - so it can flex away all day and not lose its stiffness or reliability.

So you'll probably be okay. I weigh 105kgs on a good day and my carbon frames stood up to lots of IDT interval sessions - including standing sprints and all.

Yes, there's a significant risk

Rather use a second fiets than your race baby

I agree with Dale

It puts strain on the frame

I agree with Dale

It puts strain on the frame

The frame is designed to handle strain, creep, fatigue, shock, and vibration. It's all part of the mechanical engineering for the frame. Even lugged and bonded style frames are strong enough to cope with indoor trainer work.

When it becomes a problem is when the deflection the frame is designed for is exceeded too often. This will require a very heavy and powerful person to break the frame. Mountain bikes have designed in weaknesses where the pivots are located . These areas are often reinforced but variance in production can create stress risers in the frame where it can fail. Carbon frame failure on idt is more a factor of manufacturing defect than the idt or the rider being too strong

Have anybody ever seen a "warranty void if used on an indoor trainer" from a bike manufacturer?

Lots and lots of bikes get used on IDTs in Europe and America, if there was a problem, it has been sorted already. IDT companies would be sued to bankrupcy in America if they damaged frames.

Your frame will flex if you ride it on the road, too, you just dont notice it. The worst case design load for a frame would probably be for a max weight rider hitting a pot hole while sprinting. On the IDT those shock loads should be absent.

Archived