MTB Wheels

mrmed

I need opinions on MTB wheels. I'm currently running Mavic SL's. I have a chance to get XTR wheels, but have heard they have problems. What are the best wheels to buy. I weigh 75kgs.

DT240 hubs, DT Swiss Revolution Spokes, Stans Olympic ZTR Rims. 1470 front and rear, soooooper durable and blindingly fast.

For more money you can buy Fulcrum Red Metal Zero wheelset, but they weigh a bit more and are VERY expensive.

Go with the DT/Stans build. I have manhandled them on jumps/drops/ruts and roots and haven't had a single issue, even though they are not supposed to be build for it. My wheels out-spin, out-roll almost any wheelset out there. Mavic SLR rims' hubs give issues and as far as I know XTR hubs are not sealed. Latest Scandium XTR wheels are getting good reviews though.

I'm not helping, am I?

One warning.  Don't buy ritchey's.  I have a set and from week one I have had trouble with them.  Just watch out for DT spokes.  I had a wheel with them (sorry don't know what they are called) but I broke a lot of them.  I gave the wheelset to my dad, and he also broke 4 spokes in 4 weeks.

My brother started to rebuilt the wheel on Saterday with normal cheap spokes.

I know all about the Mavic "hub" issue. Cost us 15 minutes a day, 4 days in a row at the Epic.

The Shimano XTR Hubs have double labyrinth seals in them. They are wel sealed and more reliable than anything else at that price point.

My WH-M975 survived the Epic and are still running true.

They are low loq maintenance and in the field repairable if you break a spoke. This means you don;t have to remove the tyre to replace a broken spoke.

They are lighter than a DT 240 S. DT Rev/Stans Olympic set up. cos Stans don;t quote the rim tape in the weight nor the valve. The XTR's are a slive over 1500 including the valves, excl skewers. They are lighter than my DT 240S/DT Revs/STans ZTR355 wheels by 110gr.

Fully buyilt up Stans wheels are nopt as light as advertised.

Get the XTRs (WH_M975) There is nothing better than these for the money.

I had the Stans/DT combo and build up the weighed a wisker under 1470 FULLY BUILD. Incl rim tape and valves, excl skewers.

Front rim: 347g

Rear rim: 351g

Weighed a Arch and 355 last week at Bowman's. Claimed weight on Arch is 420g, rim was 405g. Claimed weight on 355 is, well, 355. Rim weighed in at 358.

That's not bad.

Cois: I had Revolution spokes and never broke a single one or once had to true my wheels. And I abused them. Not aimed at what I put them through, but they survived.

Cois....perhaps the wheels were over tensioned or something. DT has a solid reputation for good reason.

As for the original question....make like P Diddy and go BLING!

Chris King hubs.....any spokes and rim of your choosing

Have a nice day now!

Hi, I also have a set of the ZTR355 wheels, but built with American Classic hubs. These are lighter than the DT 240 hubs, but the hub bearings do wear very quickly. I have now replaced the bearings with a tougher generic bearing and they have been fine.

I'm also using DT Revolution and have not had a singly spoke break, even when I rode half a lap of an XC circuit with a flat rear tyre!

Notubes have a new Race ZTR wheelset which claims a weight of 1210g including valve and rim strip. Max weight is 77kgs. Rims are 284g!

I had the Stans/DT combo and build up the weighed a wisker under 1470 FULLY BUILD. Incl rim tape and valves' date=' excl skewers.

Front rim: 347g

Rear rim: 351g

Weighed a Arch and 355 last week at Bowman's. Claimed weight on Arch is 420g, rim was 405g. Claimed weight on 355 is, well, 355. Rim weighed in at 358.

That's not bad.

Cois: I had Revolution spokes and never broke a single one or once had to true my wheels. And I abused them. Not aimed at what I put them through, but they survived.
[/quote']

not sure how you got the weight that low.

12gr per spoke and nipple x32 = 354gr

rim weight is 347

rear hub lets say 240gr\

front hun=b lets say 120 gr tota weight without rim strip and valves = 1762

even if i halve the weight of the spokes' it comes out at 1408gr without valves and sealing rim strip. how did you get the build so low?

Also looking at ZTR build with 240's.  Is this strong enough for doing the Epic with?

Cois....perhaps the wheels were over tensioned or something. DT has a solid reputation for good reason.

More likely under-tensioned (or built with very uneven tension so that some spokes were under-tensioned).  Also, the gurus seem to reckon that "stress-relieving" (squeezing nearly-parallel pairs of spokes on the same side of the wheel together) spokes during the build makes a big difference to the lifespan of the spokes, so maybe this wasn't done on your wheels?

I don't think that anyone makes better quality spokes than DT.

those weights are approximate...

and the weight they add for a rim tape and valve is not in line with the actual weight. The valve alone weighs more than what they add for the tape and valve!

My set came up just under 1500gr and they never ever stayed true.