Is Bridge Cycles in CT trustworthy

HBO

Like any store , bridge has had moments where service has been less than stellar. Since its a shop manned by people I'm inclined to take some things on the chin when it doesn't go my way.

But by and large when I have needed something pronto or have been in a bind Bridge Cycles has been the shop that steps up to the plate.

Since this is a bridge query I won't go into the other two shops in southern suburbs I trust but one is in constantia and the other in wynberg. Happy to give those two equal accolades to bridge in a different thread

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not bought from them since the below happened. 

I was in the store picking up the bike I had just bought from them. While I was talking to one of the brothers (the main one) one of the assistants came up and asked him the price of a bike. He then asked the assistant who it was for, the lad pointed to a wealthy looking mom, the brother then said "for her, make it xxx". Right in front of me. 

I checked out said bike as I left and he had added on a few thousand rands onto what the price should have been. I had been looking at the bike both there and at Olympic Cycles.

If they were the only ones who had something I needed I would get it from them though in the future.

How did you know what the bikes price should have been?

Was it a price you negotiated?

Wow, impressive testimonials - not many bikes shops that will get this.  Not one bad comment.  Kudos to Bridge - Hope they see this!

:thumbup:

LOL - a minority will give credit, but do something wrong and everybody is on the bandwagon.!

That's just the way they work. If I ever need something from them then I'll get a friend of mine to go there as he gets better prices from them than I do. I've also been there twice in 2 days and been quoted completely different prices on the same product. 

In general I don't go there any more as they operate differently to the way I do business and it frustrates me if I have to worry that I'm not getting a fair deal, but a lot of people enjoy a bit of negotiating and probably have some fun buying stuff there. I have also received a few very good deals back when I did go there on their older stock so they're probably worth a look if you know what you're looking at.

As far as the OP's question - definitely a legit shop with some good deals and governed by the CPA so there is no risk to you as long as you check the frame immediately on receipt.

That's just the way they work. If I ever need something from them then I'll get a friend of mine to go there as he gets better prices from them than I do. I've also been there twice in 2 days and been quoted completely different prices on the same product. 

In general I don't go there any more as they operate differently to the way I do business and it frustrates me if I have to worry that I'm not getting a fair deal, but a lot of people enjoy a bit of negotiating and probably have some fun buying stuff there. I have also received a few very good deals back when I did go there on their older stock so they're probably worth a look if you know what you're looking at.

As far as the OP's question - definitely a legit shop with some good deals and governed by the CPA so there is no risk to you as long as you check the frame immediately on receipt.

The concept is called "rewarding loyalty".

Long term returning customers who resolve matters amicably and maturely with their LBS always get better prices. Good relationships with people tend to facilitate this

Cant just walk into an establishment and expect the same service level as people who are loyal customers for 20years....

Seen it many times in Bridge. First time customers walk in and expect the red carpet with champagne, dancing girls and fireworks while long term god customers patiently wait for one of the sales persons to be available.

Rewarding loyaly is a construct in buy-sell arrangements in all industries and not unique to a little bike shop between two Bridges in DeWaal Rd Diep River.....

just saying

That said Raptor, they dont have to treat new customers like K@!. I.might not be an experienced rider, and might not have the dough falling out my pockets, but i receive better service form Neils wheels and he explains things to the wife. I have 3 bikes that i bought elsewhere, because they did not want to assist and also inflated thier prices like an a balloon! Their bike service is not the same too, since their mechanic left and started his own store Caledonion cycles. Great service, good products for the MR & Mrs weekend warrior and kids (x3)!

That said Raptor, they dont have to treat new customers like K@!. I.might not be an experienced rider, and might not have the dough falling out my pockets, but i receive better service form Neils wheels and he explains things to the wife. I have 3 bikes that i bought elsewhere, because they did not want to assist and also inflated thier prices like an a balloon! Their bike service is not the same too, since their mechanic left and started his own store Caledonion cycles. Great service, good products for the MR & Mrs weekend warrior and kids (x3)!

Neils. ...not a hub favourite. ...and there was also questions as to why the other mechanic left.....????????????

All comments that aren't positive seem to get a response from you, interesting.

Anyway to answer your question I had been told the price of said bike a week before, so when it was suddenly 2K more I was pretty surprised and even more so with they way it was done.

It was not a negotiated price, I walked in and asked the price of the bike. 

Having said that, I am out of this thread and I think the OP got the assurance he needed.

I didn't realise positive comments needed a deep dive analysis session.. .

But negative comments are worth unpacking to understand if it's a shop problem or a customer problem.

Since you choose to only engage in vagueness your bowing out is unfortunate since there is clearly more that could be discussed

I didn't realise positive comments needed a deep dive analysis session.. .

But negative comments are worth unpacking to understand if it's a shop problem or a customer problem.

Since you choose to only engage in vagueness your bowing out is unfortunate since there is clearly more that could be discussed

He answered your question with specifics, hardly vague.

actually its very vague.

"I had been told the price of said bike a week before, so when it was suddenly 2K more I was pretty surprised and even more so with they way it was done."

Provides no indication of whether his price was discounted or not.

How was the lady quoted  a price in a manner that was so offensive...?

I'm sure the shop would be interested to know

Their way of trading might be a bit unorthodox but I have had some really amazing deals there - you need to have done your homework but they are trustworthy.

RYANJ the moment you mention a certain southern suburb cycle shop you negate your post.

I really appreciate the feedback on my request. I was prepared to pay for the bike and let them send, but at 99 I got offered a better deal from a fellow hubber.

My biggest concern wasn't so much that they wont send me the bike after I paid, but that their might be something wrong (scratches) with it.

I phoned some of the local Spez dealers in Gauteng and there prices on the frames were considerably more.

I'm always a bit sceptical on "good deals" and believe their must be a reason for this, like scratches. I've also heard from two shops in Gauteng that there are fake spez being sold, that's why I originally asked BC to send it to a local Spec dealer, so that they can open it, confirm that it is a genuine spez and check the frame. If everything checks out then I will pay, If not, then just send it back.

BC originally agreed to these terms but when I told them to proceed, they said to pay the money first. At basically the same time the hubber with whom I negotiated initially offered me a better deal, on a S Works Venge.

I was between two fires, whether to buy a new Roubaix (from BC) or second hand Venge, but after phoning around, everybody advised to take the Venge.

My favourite LBS- HOT SPOT (these guys are awesome) - went out of their way and build it up in record time and I was able to ride yesterday. The guys at Hotspot confirmed that the frame is in excellent condition and one even thought it was new.

My heart is still sore about my old bike, but after yesterday's ride I feel better. :thumbup:  Now really looking forward to R4V.

Thanks again for all the contribution.

Bc are selling the specialized frames and bikes at sale prices because they are no longer a specialized dealer . All priced to sell

Bc are selling the specialized frames and bikes at sale prices because they are no longer a specialized dealer . All priced to sell

What is your affiliation to BC?

About two years ago I went to the shop as a complete noob (still a noob!) wanting to buy a MTB. I did some research on the Hub (is the Hub a

reliable source?) and it seems most potential buyers wanted 29'ers.

The manager at BC told me that 26ers are the way to go! When I told him

that my "HUB research" indicated otherwise, he gave a wry smile and moved to another side of the shop.

I felt he was trying to mislead me and exploit my ignorance as a

potential buyer!

Left a bitter taste in my mouth and has not been back since.

Maybe I'm just sensitive but no one is taking me for a "ride"

What is your affiliation to BC?

About two years ago I went to the shop as a complete noob (still a noob!) wanting to buy a MTB. I did some research on the Hub (is the Hub a

reliable source?) and it seems most potential buyers wanted 29'ers.

The manager at BC told me that 26ers are the way to go! When I told him

that my "HUB research" indicated otherwise, he gave a wry smile and moved to another side of the shop.

I felt he was trying to mislead me and exploit my ignorance as a

potential buyer!

Left a bitter taste in my mouth and has not been back since.

Maybe I'm just sensitive but no one is taking me for a "ride"

note... there are some Hubbers who would completely agree with this choice of weapon  :whistling:

Archived