Tri Bars on a Road Bike

meparak

Hi

I have an aero road bikes and would like to know if i can put on TT bars on it, Not the clip on but the full TT Bars

thanks

With a few cable ties anything is possible, but I think the biggest issue will be setback position, which is not as aggressive even on a aero bike.

Why go through all the hassles for just messing around... And anyway IM Durban was yesterday ;-)

Why go through all the hassles for just messing around... And anyway IM Durban was yesterday ;-)

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking your road bars off and replacing with tri bars, then getting your saddle as far forward as it will go. It's your bike after all. But it will be wrong to think you can then join in with a bunch ride. Please don't.

Thanks - I plan on getting another road bike and always liked a TT bike. So was thinking instead of buying 2 bikes (new road and TT) just convert my old one for a fraction of the price.

TT bike frame geometry is considerably different to a road bike. If you want to get into multisport then converting your existing is an option to try however you will not get the full benefit with bike setup as you may not be able to get the forward seat position required even shifting the saddle full forward and replacing the seatpost to try and achieve this.

Many do race with clipons as a compromise as they can only afford one bike to race road and triathlons.

If you want to seriously get into triathlons or TT races then it is better to get a proper TT bike and bike setup

It is definitely possible. I raced and trained like that for many years. It is not allowed in road races but no issue in tri and duathlons.

The biggest issue would be that your bike geometry does not allow for you to get into the correct position on the bike. Meaning that the seat to handlebar to pedal positions are not correct for your bodies built.

But tri it! (pun intended)

Archived