What does Aaron Gwin do?

mada3400

how is he so much faster than everyone else, he must do something differently, like train on a roadbike or something.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is he so much faster than everyone else, he must do something differently, like train on a roadbike or something.

To answer the question in the title...

Win ;)

primary reason...his suspension setup is hard

but i'm just a spectator...the guys who actually ride these rigs might give a better answer

primary reason...his suspension setup is hard

but i'm just a spectator...the guys who actually ride these rigs might give a better answer

Nope, from what I've read you're partly right. Apparently he runs it SUPER hard. Means he doesn't get bogged down in some stuff. Also means he must have a grip like a monkeywrench to be able to hold on...

That's at least part of the reason. The rest... I dunno. Focus? Extra super secret training? Weet bix?

Nope, from what I've read you're partly right. Apparently he runs it SUPER hard. Means he doesn't get bogged down in some stuff. Also means he must have a grip like a monkeywrench to be able to hold on...

That's at least part of the reason. The rest... I dunno. Focus? Extra super secret training? Weet bix?

lol

yeah - he is pretty special...just a pity he is not more of a likeable guy

Starting to think he's just a normal introvert.

sam hill is an introvert....but yet he is more likeable..I dunno..maybe I'm being harsh on the oke..but he is one of the few guys I just dont like winning

Oh and they all ride road bikes... mostly. I think

i mean instead of his dh bike, to train with... on trails :/

Oh here we go again. People who have never met the man having an opinion about his personality. On TV. Just after a WC run.

Guest notmyname

He prays the hardest.

And for that the imaginary person in the sky smiles apon him. But what about Sunday race days? The fairy tale suggests that on the seventh day he parked it cheesy and gave thanks to the big bang....

But that's like saying the guy that's met him once knows him so well? LOL. Have you met zuma? i bet you dont like him.

anyway,back to the actual topic. my 2c on the matter: it's never one thing. Like Al Pacino shouted in Any Given Sunday: its a game of inches, and he does that top to bottom, while implementing something Sam Hill once said when Sam was asked how so fast: try and straighten the track. A good example is this drop off along the Windham track where everyone was going to the left but Gwin was going straight. I think the Pivot rider Bernard Kerr took that line as well in one of the timed training/qualies vid (but crashed after snapping his bars for some reason).

How hard his suspension really is, i'd like to know. Where's those Ride The Pros's Bikes features? Mike Jones used to like those. Can't remember if there was any mention of Gwin's setup in those articles. But yes, suspension is just one more thing. My own personal take on suspension is to set it up as you would like to ride.  Gwin apparently runs his very hard, while Ratboy runs his surprisingly soft (according Dirtmag). works for them.

He is not visibly active on the bike, like say Blenki for example, so I think that helps him maintain straight line speed as he has lessened his risk of over correction which often requires braking to address

On such a short track, all those little bits matter and add up in a hurry. And because of the lack of length of the track at Windham, practicing your preferred line option is more important than the longer tracks, and perhaps that's why Gwin went straight off that drop off I mentioned earlier while others were going round the left: he didnt' have time to hide the line. Best to practice it over and over till its near second nature.

I somehow believe the better riders have good memories as well, or they are simply fitter so dont suffer mental implosions due to physical exhaustion,and can thus remember their lines and braking points at a more timely fashion.

“The innovative programs that James Wilson provided for me during the 3 years we worked together played a big role in my rapid success at the highest levels of downhill racing."

Aaron on the time James Wilson helped him with his strength and conditioning. Google bikejames .com.

Archived