Giant Anthem Advanced or Spez Camber Comp Carbon

ChrisRawbone

I have a 2014 Anthem advanced 650b and I love it. It has FULL XT from the front to the rear. Not sure how the Spez is spec'd but I know some bikes come with XT at the rear and like slx shifters if you get my drift. Its my second Giant (the first be ing an anthem 1) and the only thing I Would have changed on the 2014 model is a bar mounted shifter for the rear shock, its in a funny place and leaning down to change between climb trail and decent is a pain, but for the type of riding i do i just leave it in trail now. When climbing peddle bob is minimal and I find that the little bit of sus it gives you is enough to keep the rear tyre in tract. 

If you want more info PM me or pop me a hellos here. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet baby jeezus! R41k for a 2015 Camber Comp Carbon?!

Pricing aside, between the options you suggested, I'd go with the Camber. It's more trail than XC, compared to the Anthem. If you've got the dosh, also consider the 2016 range, that has even more relaxed geo and a 650B option. 

To address the original questions, there's no better value than Giant w.r.t. specs, and rideability, Camber will probably give more confidence going down gnarly stuff because of head angle, depending who you are and if you need more confidence ...

Agree with RM, will go for the Giant Anthem SX though. Offers best of most worlds.

Good deals on carbon Stumpy FSR 650b frames right now. Comes with dropper and shock5 You can build up a bike with top fork, full XT group and decent wheels in the R50k to R55k range. Less if you spare bits lying around.

An SLX build with base model Pike could come in around R45k.

Sweet baby jeezus! R41k for a 2015 Camber Comp Carbon?!

Pricing aside, between the options you suggested, I'd go with the Camber. It's more trail than XC, compared to the Anthem. If you've got the dosh, also consider the 2016 range, that has even more relaxed geo and a 650B option. 

What would you say is a fair deal for the 2015 Camber Comp Carbon?

Both are great bikes. As mentioned, the Anthem is perhaps more XC, while the camber is more trail orientated due to shorter chain-stays, slacker head angle and longer top tube.

I had the Anthem, super smooth and comfy on long Grabow rides, tons of traction on those loose stony sandy hills, the bike loves to rail around corners, but it is limited when it comes to jumping and more downhill drop-offs etc.

I now have the Pyga which is just the best at everything :).

I am not sure of the wheel choices on those models, but the weight and quality of wheels on 29ers is key.

What would you say is a fair deal for the 2015 Camber Comp Carbon?

Honestly can't tell you, but when I bought my Camber in mid 2014, the Comp Carbon was retailing for a tad over R30k. 

If the price you got is right, then there has been a massive price increase. 

For your budget, there are a hell of a lot of bikes to consider. Also look at bikes from Silverback, Pyga, On-One and so on. The Spez is a fantastic bike, but you've got a nice budget to play around with, so take your time and and don't rush into a purchase. 

I should mention that I live in Elgin/Grabouw where the riding is mostly single-track and more technical. Perhaps a more trail orientated bike is the way to go.

i would guess from your name here that your family farm has a lot of singletrack on it. if that's what you're planning on riding as opposed to longer distance races - then the camber/giant trance/pyga 110/silverback sprada/trek fuel/etc etc.......jeez, it's a long list...are all amazing bikes in that price range. test ride them and go with what you feel - you can do too much research into this sort of thing and make up your mind before actually trying the bikes.

If you're gonna be riding technical singke track I'm gonna recommend a Giant Trance. There are some sweet deals on the 2015 Advanced versions now. Amazing bike. I've also fone a Sani2C with mine and it's no slouch. It'll take you anywhere.

Hi,

I am fairly new to biking, and, after a lot of research, I think I've narrowed my choices to the Giant Anthem Advanced 29er (R41k - 2015 model) or the Spez Camber Comp Carbon 29er (R41k - 2015 model) i.e. both are the same price.

I have also been quoted R47k for the Spez Epic Comp Carbon 29er. 

I'd be interested to hear from the members which bike they feel offers better rideability and value for money.

After reading numerous posts, I know that a lot has to do with personal preference so I plan on riding both, if possible, before purchase.

Cheerio.

Just FYI...

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/150151-2014-brand-new-giant-anthem-advanced-carbon-275/

i would guess from your name here that your family farm has a lot of singletrack on it. if that's what you're planning on riding as opposed to longer distance races - then the camber/giant trance/pyga 110/silverback sprada/trek fuel/etc etc.......jeez, it's a long list...are all amazing bikes in that price range. test ride them and go with what you feel - you can do too much research into this sort of thing and make up your mind before actually trying the bikes.

You guessed correct. My old man owns Oak Valley. Plenty singletrack on my doorstep!

Thanks Nico, seen that ad but I'm looking for a 29er. Been told that's the way to go.

Appreciate all the advice everyone.

You've been told wrong. It's not about the wheelsize. Seriously. 

You guessed correct. My old man owns Oak Valley. Plenty singletrack on my doorstep!

Chris next time you are up in Gaunteng, pop past. you can take my anthem for a spin if you want

I  own both a Giant Anthem 2014 and a Camber Carbon 2014 both are good bikes the Camber is more compact and quicker for me anyway on the single track . I love my Camber and I am looking at the new 2016 as I want to try 1x11.If you ride Oak Valley a lot go Camber.

Unless you really want to race and podium then yes Epic if you want to ride to enjoy riding Camber

41 K is a good price I paid 30K for my Camber but I got a 25% discount because I bought just before the 2015 bike . Go look at Freewheel Cycology in Kenilworth they have some great discounts on 2015 Bikes both Camber and Epics  

Scandalous that you don't already have a bike - welcome to thehub!!

Archived