wahoo kickr

rudi-h

So i'm about to burn some cash on a power based trainer...

I have the following requirements:

1)  Power based training

2)  I want to be able to race against my friends (local and abroad) - We are a few mates that agreed to buy compatible stuff, not particularly stressed about what we buy as long as we can race each other.

3)  I want to be able to have a visual display (TV, computer screen etc) with virtual routes etc.

The Wahoo Kickr is currently on special.  Will this suit all of my needs or are there other better products out there.

Kickr can do all of that .Cycleops also .I have a kickr but have not used it to race other people .Important note is to have GOOD internet connection .I use wahoo fitness and kinomap mainly .You can do strava segments also .What i like most is that i can use any bike on the unit .Currently i have my spare Hardtail 29er permanently on the trainer .It is a quality product that can take plenty of hard training hours in it,s stride .I weigh 100kg,s .Sky team use them for static training 

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I'm not buying something now that will be outdated in a few months from now.  Is kinomap compatible with a normal windows based PC or do I need to get a tablet?  I've got a 32 inch computer screen, so would like to use that if possible for the display.

I use app called intervals with sufferfest videos on the kickr (with their training plan) .. Few times my wife almost called ambulance as I was hanging over handlebars crying... Never been able to replicate that suffering/pain on the road....

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I'm not buying something now that will be outdated in a few months from now.  Is kinomap compatible with a normal windows based PC or do I need to get a tablet?  I've got a 32 inch computer screen, so would like to use that if possible for the display.

The kickr is probably the most future proof trainer on the market...works with both ant+ and bloutand light... 

I use it on my ipad outside .I am sure it is pc compatable

Question on the kicker is can you pre Programme a workout. Went to a mate last night who used zwift and it is not a feature currently

I ordered one! I've got a 9sp casette on my road bike so hopefully I can change the casette on the kickr. Looking forward to some pain!

I have mine on order. Plan on putting a spare HT on it.

A mate has one and loves it. He's running a spare 9sp road bike on it, just changed the cassette.

I think trainerroad allows you to run the pre programmed intervals, but because it is blue tooth smart and ant+ enabled it really allows you to use everything. I think cyclops is the same ito compatibility but you require a trainer wheel if you're using your main bike on it.

Out of interest..... anyone know if using a carbon frame on a stationary trainer is ok? My feeling is the additional stress on the chainstays and seatstays would lead to accelerated aging of the frame.

I

Out of interest..... anyone know if using a carbon frame on a stationary trainer is ok? My feeling is the additional stress on the chainstays and seatstays would lead to accelerated aging of the frame.

I have a carbon frame on my trainer, and have never had issues. There was a recent dedicated thread on this. Someone (sorry, I can't remember who) made the valid point that if idt's were bad for frame integrity, all manufacturers would write a nice exclusion clause into their warranties, and none of them have.

I've got my Scott Scale 910 (full carbon) attached to my Wahoo. Hundreds of km worth of riding. No issue.

I've had my Epic and Camber attached as well. But you need the 12mm Thru-Axle adaptor for them. Also no issues but they are Ali at the back.

What will the nr of Rs be for the kickr? Around the 10k mark?

16 to 17k. Buycycle had a special on recently at 15.5k or so.

Archived