Sandton EcoMobility Festival: October

ByronH

Was in joburg last week, before it all kicked off, but could see things were getting set up.

I know there's a lot of construction, but sandton really isn't pedestrian friendly. Pavements just stop, and many buildings are setup for you to drive in only.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi cat,

Yeah today I opted to leave a little later (6:30am) so the cats were almost at a stand still. I also rose my roadie on the pavement and a little bit on the firm dirt where I could.

I did tweet the CoJ about this and they responded with "noted, thanks". Take that how you like, hopefully we'll get a cycle lane even if it's just temporary

So on day 3 only I noticed cyclists in the counter-lanes from Randburg side.

I've noticed the cones in the outbound lanes in the mornings, and the inbound lanes in the afternoons, marking off a whole lane. Thought it was for taxis and buses, although I never saw anything on it.

This morning I saw some cyclists (both directions) inside that closed-off lane down Republic. And it looked like the coned-off lane continued right up to Sandton drive. At William Nicol/Republic intersection there were JMPD helping cyclists negotiate the traffic light from the 'wrong' side. WIN!

So on day 3 only I noticed cyclists in the counter-lanes from Randburg side.

I've noticed the cones in the outbound lanes in the mornings, and the inbound lanes in the afternoons, marking off a whole lane. Thought it was for taxis and buses, although I never saw anything on it.

This morning I saw some cyclists (both directions) inside that closed-off lane down Republic. And it looked like the coned-off lane continued right up to Sandton drive. At William Nicol/Republic intersection there were JMPD helping cyclists negotiate the traffic light from the 'wrong' side. WIN!

Same here, when i cycled home, as I was about to get onto William Nicol by the Mazda dealership, I asked the policeman if I could jump into the counter-flow lane as there were no buses in sight, he was more than happy to let me go down it and I zoomed passed all the stationary cars. 

Unfortunately once you pass the William Nicol/ Republic Rd intersection it becomes a free for all again.

Hi guys

It is great reading your feedback and experience of the EcoMobility and cycling into Sandton!

I have shared this forum with the organisers and I am hoping that they get in touch with you guys to share your experiences on air.

Remember, there is a Cycle Today Jozi Page which has the routes the cycle routes to Sandton. You can also find it here:https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zU_1OqJB7y9M.kAm34PwhX5bM&usp=sharing

Happy riding!

@FreedomRider_MHD, everything seems to be going swimmingly on my route out of Sandton into Randburg along William Nicol and Republic.  Just want to note that, the 'public transport' making use of the demarcated lanes travel at a horrendous speed.   The speed limit on Republic is 60 yet a Putco bus followed by a long line of taxi's come flying past me a significant pace.  Quite scary as all that is between us are some flimsy cones.  

Hi guys

It is great reading your feedback and experience of the EcoMobility and cycling into Sandton!

I have shared this forum with the organisers and I am hoping that they get in touch with you guys to share your experiences on air.

Remember, there is a Cycle Today Jozi Page which has the routes the cycle routes to Sandton. You can also find it here:https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zU_1OqJB7y9M.kAm34PwhX5bM&usp=sharing

Happy riding!

Please communicate to them that their pop bike lane from Rosebank to Sandton doesn't exist. and is very dangerous along Melville RD. It is making me reconsider riding in and out. 

@FreedomRider_MHD, everything seems to be going swimmingly on my route out of Sandton into Randburg along William Nicol and Republic.  Just want to note that, the 'public transport' making use of the demarcated lanes travel at a horrendous speed.   The speed limit on Republic is 60 yet a Putco bus followed by a long line of taxi's come flying past me a significant pace.  Quite scary as all that is between us are some flimsy cones.  

11th on Benmore is also very scary by bicycle now that it's empty. Taxis speeding! And that road surface doesn't really allow speeding ....

Happy riding!

Hi there Freedomrider

I tried your suggested route from Bryanston side this morning.

I like my regular route in 1th more than cycling in 14th, 12th, 11th. Although 14th has less traffic, there's no pavement (that you can ride on) if you feel uncomfortable with cars passing too close.  1th has more traffic, but apart from the excavations at the petrol station on the corner of 11 and Olympia, there's a pavement. There's also 4 way stops and traffic light to help you get across the busier roads.

Hi there Freedomrider

I tried your suggested route from Bryanston side this morning.

I like my regular route in 1th more than cycling in 14th, 12th, 11th. Although 14th has less traffic, there's no pavement (that you can ride on) if you feel uncomfortable with cars passing too close.  1th has more traffic, but apart from the excavations at the petrol station on the corner of 11 and Olympia, there's a pavement. There's also 4 way stops and traffic light to help you get across the busier roads.

Thanks for the feedback. The suggested routes are along quieter streets as cars generally move at a slower pace and give space to cyclists. I understand where you are coming from with the pavements, but when you have first time commuters, many of them do not use the pavements but use the road instead.

Also, I found that those roads are not too narrow and cars to not pass too closely. 

I have passed on your concerns to the team. Let me know if there is a difference. Might only be from next week though

Thanks,

i will let you know next week. Hopefully they can do something to make it safer.

Also, I found that those roads are not too narrow and cars to not pass too closely. 

Sorry i thought you wanted feedback  :blink:

Ecomobility (work)day 6:

- Saw far fewer cycling commuters (none apart from myself) from Randburg side today - possibly because schools reopened?

- 11th in Benmore back to it's congested self - including the taxis overtaking in the oncoming traffic lane against a solid white line. 

- Sewerage today in Fredman - will avoid that the rest of the week.

- In West there were more pedestrians on the cycle lane than on the pavement this afternoon. Maybe an official could help directing/separating foot/cyclist/aternative traffic there?

- Tried a few options, still didn't find a nice route out of Sandton and into Sandton drive. Will keep trying more routes - much prefer going home via Sandton Drive then the backroads that I have been using,

Edited by cat-i

As a regular commuter to Sandton, I avoid the west street cycle lane ... it abruptly  ends .. + pedestrians walk in it.

I stick to sandton drive and katherine ... its so much better ... 

@cat-i going home ...  go past the USA embassy, then down empire ... right into gordon ...left into boundary ... cross over the park .. and you at the corner of sandton drive and william nicol ... + you had very few cars ... since there are speed bumps and circles that way ... and an enclosed suburb ...