Review your dropper: A guide for buyers.

Raydek

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea of availability or where buy gauteng?

There is an American based company that makes them specifically for this purpose and they are available through someone in JHB, it is somewhere in another topic.

There is also a topic about someone who found shim material (stock) in JHB that they made one out of.

You would need to search this forum though.

There is an American based company that makes them specifically for this purpose and they are available through someone in JHB, it is somewhere in another topic.

There is also a topic about someone who found shim material (stock) in JHB that they made one out of.

You would need to search this forum though.

Ok cool. Thanks

I have been thinking of a new dropper post and have some concerns on the options:

1) Giant - doesn't come in 31.6 but a shim can be used. Good idea? Concerned about creaks and squeeks which bug me tremendously.

2) Force - Really not sure on this one as its fugly and you need to be seated on the saddle to return the post to the upright position which sux but much less maintenance.

3) KS Lev mechanical actuated cable (not the expensive one, not sure on model name).

So what I'm looking for is a cable actuated lever Purley because no bleeding required so less maintenance and cost effective so same price range as the giant.

I'm trying to get the best of both hydraulic and mechanical which means less maintenance but infinite adjustment.

Any advice on this will be awesome as well as any other posts not mentioned.

A decent quality shim and the Giant post by all accounts seems to be the clear winner, nevermind the 2016 posts looks the business and has the seat clamp sorted. Forca for the price to ugly and fugly operation, KS not bad but relatively pricey to buy and service.

A decent quality shim and the Giant post by all accounts seems to be the clear winner, nevermind the 2016 posts looks the business and has the seat clamp sorted. Forca for the price to ugly and fugly operation, KS not bad but relatively pricey to buy and service.

Yeah, im keen on the giant as it looks awsome. Was just concerned about the shim causing noise or play in the seatpost.

I have been thinking of a new dropper post and have some concerns on the options:

1) Giant - doesn't come in 31.6 but a shim can be used. Good idea? Concerned about creaks and squeeks which bug me tremendously.

2) Force - Really not sure on this one as its fugly and you need to be seated on the saddle to return the post to the upright position which sux but much less maintenance.

3) KS Lev mechanical actuated cable (not the expensive one, not sure on model name).

So what I'm looking for is a cable actuated lever Purley because no bleeding required so less maintenance and cost effective so same price range as the giant.

I'm trying to get the best of both hydraulic and mechanical which means less maintenance but infinite adjustment.

Any advice on this will be awesome as well as any other posts not mentioned.

The Fox DOSS is a perfect option then.

Cable lever and it has been sold as 'the dropper you never have to service'... I have one. It works like a dream

The Fox DOSS is a perfect option then.

Cable lever and it has been sold as 'the dropper you never have to service'... I have one. It works like a dream

Definitely on option for sure. Where did you buy yours?

Are you sure about the giant dropper not made in 31,6? I only ask this as my giant dropper ,now 3 years old is 31,6mm.

You could also consider the da bomb dropper ,available in 31,6 mm cable actuation, and lower end ,of the price range.

I have both the giant and the da bomb droppers.

The giant has been good,thou the older 1 bolt laidback design, I had a minor issue with a stripped bolt ,easy fix, and now 3 years of smooth operation.

The da bomb is 3 months old , and also good thou early days, dirt can get under the seat and get into the lever operation, so this must be cleaned.

Are you sure about the giant dropper not made in 31,6? I only ask this as my giant dropper ,now 3 years old is 31,6mm.

Yip, new ones are only one diameter... 30.9mm

You could also consider the da bomb dropper ,available in 31,6 mm cable actuation, and lower end ,of the price range.

I have both the giant and the da bomb droppers.

The giant has been good,thou the older 1 bolt laidback design, I had a minor issue with a stripped bolt ,easy fix, and now 3 years of smooth operation.

The da bomb is 3 months old , and also good thou early days, dirt can get under the seat and get into the lever operation, so this must be cleaned.

Would like to know how the da bomb fairs over time. Would rather clean some dirt than replace seals which cost a ton.

I use the TMARS dropper, it is 31.6 mm diameter. The cost on eBay is under R1000 for the dropper, they have all widths. The drop is 90 mm which is perfect, it has three positions, full, 45 mm and 90 mm. It is mechanical. I have had it for one year. I have twice changed the plastic pieces inside, they sell them on eBay as service kits for about R150. Recently I had to buy a new remote cable off eBay which cost about R350, the post was getting a bit wobbly.

This post is virtually identical to the Forca or the Ice V8, with some of the parts being interchangeable. I think the same company in Taiwan makes them.

I would not spend more on a dropper than this, would rather put the money towards some new SLX or XT brakes. I am very happy with this seat post, I use it on basically every downhill, even the tar and district roads, dropping the post makes you a lot faster on non technical down hills.