Review your dropper: A guide for buyers.

Raydek

pretty self explanatory

http://i.imgur.com/O9ZQIQ4.jpg

Ah...as the cable comes out perpendicular to the seatpost....A guide may still help though :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elaborate?

The plastic guide you can place almost anywhere so it may reduce the diameter if loop of housing behind the seatpost? Or is it already bent to its tightest and further bending will kink it?

Pity though. Droppers are just so seriously expensive. Bought my Reverb from CRC almost 2 years ago and still wasn't cheap...Now service time ... will be like 70% to cost of a new Giant one

Still functioning well. But the cable feels a little tighter now.

General maintenance should sort that out.

My problem with this dropper though is the protruding cable.

I have to pull it as tight as I can or the rear tyre chews cable housing when i bottom out. I've tried turning the dropper around and flipping the saddle.

But it doesn't work since the angle of the rail clamps don't rotate the other way far enough to allow a comfortable enough seating position.

I have one of these. The first one lasted about a year, despite replacing the plastic bushes inside, it got a bit too floppy. I am now onto my second one. I bought one off eBay and the other off Aliexpress, price was around R800.

I don't have trouble with the back wheel rubbing the cable as I ride a hard tail.

The cable you can replace by buying a Campag gear cable and a normal gear outer sleeve which you can cut to the correct length.

The insides can get a bit dirty and the post is quite easy to strip and service.

The plastic guide you can place almost anywhere so it may reduce the diameter if loop of housing behind the seatpost? Or is it already bent to its tightest and further bending will kink it?

Pity though. Droppers are just so seriously expensive. Bought my Reverb from CRC almost 2 years ago and still wasn't cheap...Now service time ... will be like 70% to cost of a new Giant one

Its as tight as it gets. But I feel you regarding price. Exactly why I got this one. The rest are just too expensive. Had a giant one on the previous bike. Also had it for about a year and never had any issues. But I prefer this one. I love the 3 position settings. Unless I find an incredible deal on a reverb or something I'll probably get another one like this for my new bike. 

• 3 weeks later...

Magura Vyron Elect Wireless Dropper Seatpost. Sounds like a good idea, no cables, 150mm drop. What do the experts say?

post-47220-0-44329600-1465467522_thumb.png

pretty self explanatory

http://i.imgur.com/O9ZQIQ4.jpg

If you could get the cable moved to the left it would miss the wheel and not rub your leg, like a little ledge of some form.

Yes, it's similar to having a full syringe and then pulling the plunger further back drawing air into the system. It starts off having no After a while you will have a few centimeters of play in your post.

But where does it draw air from, if it draws air its not a closed system and it means you already have an issue... 

So I've just had a bit of a sh*t fight with giant about my dropper failing within the warranty period. Big props have to go out to the guys at Olympic cycles for pursuing it when realistically there was very little financial reward and alot of back and forth. 

My ride had been sitting for about a month due to injury and when I hopped back on in pressed the lever and everything worked fine going down but wouldn't lock back up. Luckily I noticed that I still had the box and manual and saw the warranty was a 2 year period. Took the post back to Olympic where it was bought from and they said they'd send it off for a claim. 

Gains cam e back and said that the internals had indeed failed. Unfortunately because it was an older model they didn't stock the parts any more... again it was less than 2 yrs old. 

Best they could do is offer me a new post for 50% off the RRP. Firstly with the Rand going to bits the price had increased a lot and secondly it was still under Warranty! So I not so politely told them thanks but no thanks. 

Next revert was that it was only covered by a 1 year warranty and they were the good guys because they were just trying to get me back on my bike at a discount. I did have to point out that I had the handbook with the warranty conditions and it clearly said 2 years. They said that couldnt be. So I had to photograph the manual and send the Giant warranty to... well... Giant. 

In the end they agreed and I've now got a replacement. To be honest I always thought that Giant as an international would be more clued up with customer service. I'll be looking for a new roadie and a dirt bike in the next 12 months and I'm not sure they are at the top of the list any more. 

Again, big thanks to the Team at Olympic for all their help even when I was less than 'diplomatic'. ;) 

If you could get the cable moved to the left it would miss the wheel and not rub your leg, like a little ledge of some form.

It is not possible with this design. There are two small channels on either side of the internal bottom tube that goes into the bike. if you rotate the tube, then the seat has to rotate too.

If this was my setup I may try to put some kind of protection around the cable where the wheel touches and replace it quite often. For example, wrap some cut tubing around it.

So I've just had a bit of a sh*t fight with giant about my dropper failing within the warranty period. Big props have to go out to the guys at Olympic cycles for pursuing it when realistically there was very little financial reward and alot of back and forth.

My ride had been sitting for about a month due to injury and when I hopped back on in pressed the lever and everything worked fine going down but wouldn't lock back up. Luckily I noticed that I still had the box and manual and saw the warranty was a 2 year period. Took the post back to Olympic where it was bought from and they said they'd send it off for a claim.

Gains cam e back and said that the internals had indeed failed. Unfortunately because it was an older model they didn't stock the parts any more... again it was less than 2 yrs old.

Best they could do is offer me a new post for 50% off the RRP. Firstly with the Rand going to bits the price had increased a lot and secondly it was still under Warranty! So I not so politely told them thanks but no thanks.

Next revert was that it was only covered by a 1 year warranty and they were the good guys because they were just trying to get me back on my bike at a discount. I did have to point out that I had the handbook with the warranty conditions and it clearly said 2 years. They said that couldnt be. So I had to photograph the manual and send the Giant warranty to... well... Giant.

In the end they agreed and I've now got a replacement. To be honest I always thought that Giant as an international would be more clued up with customer service. I'll be looking for a new roadie and a dirt bike in the next 12 months and I'm not sure they are at the top of the list any more.

Again, big thanks to the Team at Olympic for all their help even when I was less than 'diplomatic'. ;)

How can they have zero spares already for the older post, especially a basic item like the internals, there was only one version of the post to support and the internals replacement is just the cartridge in one sealed unit?

That does not bode well, are all older Giant posts(pre 2016 models I'm supposing?) now only good for the bin if the cartridge fails?

http://i.imgur.com/JN4K65K.jpg

Still functioning well. But the cable feels a little tighter now.

General maintenance should sort that out.

My problem with this dropper though is the protruding cable.

I have to pull it as tight as I can or the rear tyre chews cable housing when i bottom out. I've tried turning the dropper around and flipping the saddle.

But it doesn't work since the angle of the rail clamps don't rotate the other way far enough to allow a comfortable enough seating position.

On the cable mounting:

What about fitting a 'half bend' cable outer?

Like the ones that is used on kids bikes for the brakes.

I have no idea what these posts' internals look like, but check when the post is stripped whether it can be reassembled so that the upper tube is turned a little clock / anti-clockwise so that the cable will face a bit sideways.

Some of the posts have 6 'guides' to keep it from turning sideways.

That way it should be out of the way of the tyre.

On the cable mounting:

What about fitting a 'half bend' cable outer?

Like the ones that is used on kids bikes for the brakes.

I have no idea what these posts' internals look like, but check when the post is stripped whether it can be reassembled so that the upper tube is turned a little clock / anti-clockwise so that the cable will face a bit sideways.

Some of the posts have 6 'guides' to keep it from turning sideways.

That way it should be out of the way of the tyre.

V-brake L pipe ;)

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gif053.jpgattachicon.gif055.jpg

A1. 2016 Giant 125mm 

A2. 4 days

A3. R2900

A4. 125mm unlimited "sealed air cartridge" if I understand correctly.

A5. Bottle of Brunox ??

A6. 5 - only 1 ride so far.

A7. Above

This is my 1st experience with a dropper and I've had 1 ride with it. I love it. I rode Hopewell yellow 50km which I've ridden many times before. The downhills are not extreme, but have steep and rough sections especially going down the yellow Kudu loop valley. Being able to lower the seat and my body makes a huge difference on the steep stuff. I did plenty reading/researching/watching vids before buying the dropper and all the stories about "transformed my ride" , "gave me confidence" etc etc are spot on. I don't know why it took me so long to get one.

The only negatives for me are not being able to have 2 bottle cages and the fact that it only fits externally on my Anthem. The cable can go internal in the top tube but that's about it.

Update on my dropper. The lever is properly stuck now with the seat up. I could feel it getting harder the last few times I used it. It's 4 months old, do I take it in or just try and service it myself?

Update on my dropper. The lever is properly stuck now with the seat up. I could feel it getting harder the last few times I used it. It's 4 months old, do I take it in or just try and service it myself?

If it is under warranty then rather take it in.

Archived