Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 vs Radon Slide 150 8.0

Odinson

12 members have voted

1. 1. Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 vs Radon Slide 150 8.0

• Canyon Spectral AL 5.0
    • Radon Slide 150 8.0

It's time for me to buy a new bike and I've got €2000 to spend, so I want some honest opinions.

I've narrowed my list to the Spectral and Slide, as they fall under the €2000 mark and represent really great value. For those who don't know, Radon is a direct-sales manufacturer from Germany, similar to Canyon. Both bikes are complete overkill for the riding I'll be doing on the local trails, but I want something that will be suitable for the odd excursions in the Ardennes and Alps.

Canyon Spectral AL 5.0

cfea2f464dea2a0106ad86915622615f.jpg

FRAME CANYON SPECTRAL AL
REAR SHOCK FOX FLOAT PERFORMANCE EVO
FORK FOX 34 FLOAT CTD FIT4 PERFORMANCE
HEADSET CANE CREEK 40
REAR DERAILLEUR SHIMANO DEORE XT SHADOW PLUS, 10S
FRONT DERAILLEUR SHIMANO DEORE, 10S
CHAIN GUIDE CANYON E168
SHIFTERS SHIMANO SLX, 10S
BRAKES SHIMANO DEORE
CASSETTE SHIMANO DEORE, 10S
WHEELSET DT SWISS M 1800 SPLINE, 30 MM
TYRES CONTINENTAL MOUNTAIN KING II, 2,4"
CRANKS SHIMANO DEORE, 10S
CHAINRINGS 22 | 36
CHAIN KMC X10-93
BOTTOM BRACKET SHIMANO PRESSFIT
STEM IRIDIUM \ 3 - 0 \ TRAIL
HANDLEBAR IRIDIUM \ 3 - 0 \ TRAIL
GRIPS ERGON GE1 SLIM
SADDLE IRIDIUM \ 3 - 0 \
SEAT POST ROCKSHOX REVERB STEALTH
WEIGHT 13,3 KG

Radon Slide 150 8.0

post-62668-0-47038500-1442318016_thumb.png

Frame Radon Slide 150 27,5
Fork Rock Shox Yari, RC, SA, taper, QR15
Rear suspension Rock Shox Monarch RT3 200x57
Travel fork 150mm
Travel rear suspension 150mm
Wheelset Mavic Crossride Light 27.5", 6-Bolt, QR15/X12
Brakes Magura MT5
Brake discs Magura Storm, 180/180mm, 6-bolt
Crank Shimano SLX FD-M672, 40x30x22T, 175mm
Inner bearing Shimano SLX FD-M672
Shifter Shimnao SLX SL-M670
Derailleur Shimnao SLX FD-M671-A-D, direct mount, downswing
Rear derailleur Shimano XT-RD-M786-SGSL, 10-speed
Cassette Shimano CS-HG500, 11-34, 10-speed
Chain Shimano CN-HG54, 10-speed
Handlebar Race Face Ride 31,8, 740mm, Rise
Stem Race Face Ride 31,8
Headset FSA No.10 taper
Grips Ergon GE1
Seatpost JD Vario 100, 31,6x400mm
Saddle Ergon SME30 EVO
Front tire Continental X-King, SL, 27,5 x 2,4"
Rear tire Continental Mountain King 2, SL, 27,5 x 2,2"
Weight 13,95 kg**

None of the listed bikes are available in SA, so I'd appreciate comments based on the spec of the bikes. 

My opinion on the pros of each of the different bikes:

Canyon: Frame is sexy as hell, great wheelset, 2x10 drivetrain and the RS Reverb Stealth dropper.

Radon: RS Yari fork (poorman's Pike) and Monarch RT3 shock and dual piston Magura MT5 brakes.

None of the listed bikes are available in SA, so I'd appreciate comments based on the spec of the bikes. 

My opinion on the pros of each of the different bikes:

Canyon: Frame is sexy as hell, great wheelset, 2x10 drivetrain and the RS Reverb Stealth dropper.

Radon: RS Yari fork (poorman's Pike) and Monarch RT3 shock and dual piston Magura MT5 brakes.

First off, oh, to have the luxury of looking at two brilliant bikes at sub Eur2000!

I really like the suspension on the Radon, but the Canyon is damn hot.  Flip, I don't think you can go too wrong either way, but maybe the Canyon just because it has a bit more pedigree and slightly more solid components imo.  Besides, the 34 and Evo are great too.

Edit:  The Canyon's wheelset is also much nicer and the bike's weight bonus is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by NicoBoshoff

The Radon is getting some decent reviews. Well spec'd for the price, IMO. Either way do it soon, with the Rand in free fall your 2000 Euros is getting less quickly. Where are you looking at getting it from?

First off, oh, to have the luxury of looking at two brilliant bikes at sub Eur2000!

I really like the suspension on the Radon, but the Canyon is damn hot.  Flip, I don't think you can go too wrong either way, but maybe the Canyon just because it has a bit more pedigree and slightly more solid components imo.  Besides, the 34 and Evo are great too.

Edit:  The Canyon's wheelset is also much nicer and the bike's weight bonus is nothing to sneeze at.

Something I also thought. Canyon has a solid reputation and the Spectral is also ridden by one of their riders in the EWS (custom carbon version, but still a Spectral). 

The Radon is getting some decent reviews. Well spec'd for the price, IMO. Either way do it soon, with the Rand in free fall your 2000 Euros is getting less quickly. Where are you looking at getting it from?

I'm in Belgium, so I have the luxury of either having the bikes delivered or I can do a 2 hour trip and fetch either of the bikes in Germany, at the showrooms.

I'm in Belgium, so I have the luxury of either having the bikes delivered or I can do a 2 hour trip and fetch either of the bikes in Germany, at the showrooms.

Well that cancels out the Rand issue. I must say, I would not have an issue parking either in my garage. Good luck making up your mind.

I vote canyon for looks. Components is a trade off each has some nice stuff but not so nice other area's. The Reverb is a nice positive but mostly Doere groupset. Id love to be in position to get either of them!

Canyon ... only bummer is the pressfit bb!!! Otherwise WAY better spec with forks and reverb.

Yip. For the price, it's a small compromise.