Cavendish likely to ink MTN deal, say agents

T-Bob

Mark Cavendish appears to be heading toward MTN-Qhubeka for the 2016 season, according to cycling agents.

The South African team could be the most logical spot this late in the transfer season, and it already has sprinters onboard to create a support train.

The 30-year-old Brit is considered one of the best sprinters in cycling. He collected 26 stage wins in the Tour de France, a win in Milano-Sanremo, and the 2011 world championship title in Copenhagen. French newspaper L’Equipe named him the best Tour de France sprinter ever.

After three years with Belgium’s Etixx-Quick-Step team, he is due to change teams. Manager Patrick Lefevere said that he does not want to support Cavendish’s bid to ride the omnium in the 2016 Olympics, and several reports linked him to MTN if the money is available.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/09/news/cavendish-likely-to-ink-mtn-deal-say-agents_385272#fxeoeYQx5bmrzAiT.99

wont be good, they're going to get a guy who is over his peak and will be focusing the entire season on racing track at the olympics for GB, he should rather go sign for team wiggins.

agree rock. why do mtn want someone is past his best. Rather develop young talent. Unless that's the aim of Cavendish. But I don't see him taking a back seat.

Cavendish made a big stir when he came to ride the argus this year, and I think I'm right in saying that Mr etixx is the owner of klein constantia estate. That's the only logic I can see behind this working, not like mtn qhubeka been building a sprint train of note

I think the Olympics has been over played and he's said several times that he's a professional bike rider and his job comes before the Olympics.

Unfortunately that pointless sponsor swank that was his Argus appearance gave him and rebshaw some decent infection that killed his MSR and early classics.

Personally I'd love him to do it. He's still one of the best sprinters (though not the best currently) in the world and has nailed 16+ wins this year for EQS.

The gorilla has just had his best season ever and is older than Cav. Next years worlds suit him down to the ground and it'd be kinda great to have the world champ in SA team.

He'll bring more sponsors because he is a box office rider.

And honestly, the sprinters that have been signed to MtN would do better as a strong lead out train than being congratulated in the press releases for coming 7th or 5th. Farrar, Goss, Cummings, Bos plus renshaw and EBH are not exactly a light weight, inexperienced group to drag him to the line.

Edited by hellocolour