To go 1 x10 or not to go 1 x 10

Maximis

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on a 3x9 setup for a long time and the the 1x10 craze cane about which riddled my brain and took over my life, even the wif got gatvol of hearing about this 1x10 thing.

Did some calculations, read many posts, asked many questions and decided to go for it as there were some cassette, chain and rds going on special.

I have to change the whole drive train due to running 9sp so was a tad pricey for me.

Got all the stuffs, fitted it and off I went. Let me say that it was such a great upgrade for me and heres why:

1) Less clutter on the bars.

2) Less to think about in terms a gearing. This led to more fun.

3) Less maintenance

4) Less weight if you concerned about that.

My biggest concern was if I could handle it in terms of fitness but with a 32t upfront and 11-36 at the back I felt is was just enough gears.

I am by no meams fit (weekend warrior) and did battle a little in the beginning but now I am sonused to it and really enjoying it.

Now with that new praxis cassette, I think it would be worthwhile if there are some serious hill climbing.

For me, I really enjoy the setup and thats my story.

I ride 1x10 - made a huge difference for my riding on xco courses, was in the right gear more often. on xcm I struggled a bit, losing out on the top end, but it has made me a stronger rider, and it is definitely showing in my results now

PM Sent

Give us a shout and we will help you understand what you are looking for.

What everyone has said above is good info and sometimes it work for your style of riding and sometimes it doesnt, we understand thats why we in this business.

I have recently made the jump from 3x10 to 1x10 and it makes life more complicated.

Suddenly you can't just buy a normal 11-36 cassette, for Cape Town, one really needs a 11-40 or 42, but those cost three times the amount of the good old 11-36 cassettes as the largest two cogs need to be made out of aluminium otherwise they hum. So you have a cassette that is mainly steel but then two cogs that are alu, so different wear rates.

One may also be limited to 11-36 if you don't have a long travel rear derailleur.

Then there is debate about with upfront ring you should have - 30, 32 or 34? Most advise having two and you swop them around dependent on the course.

All these new issues with associated costs that I never even knew existed when I had   3X10. I would recommend either 2X10 or 1X11, but 1X11 will require a new hub probably and freewheel ......

Just 2X10 and forget about it and get on with you life.

Is there any issue with fitting a extender sprocket (40 or 42) to 11 - 36 cassette (10 speed) and removing the 15 tooth sprocket.

I have recently made the jump from 3x10 to 1x10 and it makes life more complicated.

Suddenly you can't just buy a normal 11-36 cassette, for Cape Town, one really needs a 11-40 or 42, but those cost three times the amount of the good old 11-36 cassettes as the largest two cogs need to be made out of aluminium otherwise they hum. So you have a cassette that is mainly steel but then two cogs that are alu, so different wear rates.

One may also be limited to 11-36 if you don't have a long travel rear derailleur.

Then there is debate about with upfront ring you should have - 30, 32 or 34? Most advise having two and you swop them around dependent on the course.

All these new issues with associated costs that I never even knew existed when I had   3X10. I would recommend either 2X10 or 1X11, but 1X11 will require a new hub probably and freewheel ......

Just 2X10 and forget about it and get on with you life.

That's so much info and who says you cant ride in CPT with a 1x10 (normal 11-36 cassette)?

Which trails? I have ridden up Helderberg and Welvanpas (all the way) with that and a 34 at the front (27.5") and I am not light, nor strong and wasnt fit either.

I considered going to a 42t at the back, but opted rather to train more and get fit (maybe like you mention because of cost). This weekend I got a QOM on a mother of a long climb with my AM bike and that ratio (where XC bikes usually ride).

Never say never.

Is there any issue with fitting a extender sprocket (40 or 42) to 11 - 36 cassette (10 speed) and removing the 15 tooth sprocket.

To my mind and many have said it is better to remove both 15 and 17 and replace with a 16 .... either way it gets tricky to set up and if you take out the 15 it leaves a gap that IS noticeable.

Yes.

1. depends what make cassette you have (some are solid units in the cogs you might want to remove)

2. the gap will be to big for smooth shifting if you take out the 15. So what people do is take out that one and the 17 and add a 16 (refer here to #1 too)

3. depend on the lenth of your cage on your RD

One thing I wanted to advise on: as you on a 3x10, do a few rides and only stay in the middle ring and do not change.

This will give you a good idea if you want to make the conversion. This is what I did on my 3x9 which really sealed the deal for me.

To my mind and many have said it is better to remove both 15 and 17 and replace with a 16 .... either way it gets tricky to set up and if you take out the 15 it leaves a gap that IS noticeable.

Completely agree, removing just the 15t leaves a big jump between the 13 & 17t. we are currently working on a redesign of our old 40 & 42t extenders with a 16t insert.

These will be both Shimano and SRAM compatible.

Havnig these on a 1x 10 setup makes a world of difference and assists with those nasty hills that come by surprise 

Guest notmyname

I'm using 32t with 11/42. I wouldn't say I'm a super climber but I've managed fine at Cascades, KK, breedts with mini breedts and Northcliff hills hurtfull Hearn. You get stronger over time and start to wonder why you ever needed 30 million gears. The only draw back for me is spinning out at 40km/h. But how often do you really grind at that sort of speed...?

Edit: i use an xt 11/36 with 15t and 17t out and added 16t and 42t.

Spin baby spin.

Archived