To go 1 x10 or not to go 1 x 10

Maximis

Hi Guys

I know that there have been a few topics similar to this one but i want to know from riders who have made the change or who have thought about it and decided not to.

I ride a 2016 Giant Anthem X 29er with an xt/slx 3 x 10 drivetrain. 11-34 casette with 24/34/42 up front.

I ride mainly giba, cascades, karkloof, holla, and district roads/single track in and around Hillcrest. I am relatively fit but no racing snake. I ride 3 times a week, 40kms during the week and about 40-50kms on the weekend. All my races are 40kms plus and i do push myself while obviously enjoying the ride more than anything else.I never use the big chain ring and love the cleaner look of the 1 x 10/11 setup. However i do need that granny gear!

Many of my fitter mates have done away with their 3 x 10 setups and gone straight to 1 x 10 or 1 x 11. There are a few options:

• going 1 x 11 with the new xt casette, derailleur, narrow wide chainring ( wouldn't know how big, maybe 30t ) chain and shifter, i would keep my current crankset - expensive option
  • going 1 x 10 with a narrow wide chainring ring, keeping everything except for cassette as you cant add a 42 expander sproket ro an 11-34 cassette- at least that's what i have been told...
  • going 2 x 10 and just getting a new crankset and derailluer.

My main concern is losing that easy gear for those tough hills and maybe the range of gears i may have at my disposal during a ride?

Would appreciate some tips, tricks and any advice on this topic.

Thanks

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know what, and I say this as a 1x 'pioneer' (tongue in cheek, but I did set up a 1x9 the very moment MRP made the Adam Craig designed lightweight 1x chain guide, long before NW chainrings were a reality, about 6 years ago)

stick with what you have. there's nice jumps in a 11-34 cassette, and plenty options up front for all types of riding, you will never be in a situation, fast or slow, that you wont have the right gear for.

if you have some cash to spend, get some really good tyres. (if you don't already)

You already said you need the granny gear... so sounds like you are not fit enough to go 1x10 yet.

Maybe change the cassette to 11-36, put the chain on the middle chainring (34) and tape up the front shifter so you cannot use it (even if the temptation is there).. and see how you ride 1x10 on your middle ring.... before you decide to spend the cash... as you may find it is not for you

Option 3 - get a Praxxis cassette (11-40) which has the right ratios to start with and doesn't require you to mix and match.  Slap a NW on the front and Bob's your aunty.

Otherwise go to 2x10.  It has all of the gears that you're missing by going 1x10 with none of the overlaps of the 3x10.

Although if money is no object, go for the 1x11.  Best of everything.

Have you already got a clutch RD?  If not, you'll need one for the 1x setups.

Okay, now that you're here... There's another option for 1x10, and it's not as expensive as you may think (certainly not as much as the XT option, and you have just as much range)

Praxis 10 sp cassette - 11-40t, paired with a 30 / 32 oval narrow wide. 

Praxis cassette is R 1,600 at most online places, and is a lovely piece of kit. Bolts straight on to your freehub, and you're away.

I'm currently running a 30t up front, and whilst on the 40 at the back, it's ALMOST the same ratio as being in your granny at front and back. We're talking 4% here. 

That said, I find that I run out of gearing pretty quickly when it gets to the fun stuff, so I'd recommend at least a 32 up front. Apparently the 32t oval rings offer the same perceived difficulty as a 30t, whilst giving you a higher tooth count so you have a bigger top end speed. 

But - as others have said, if you're JUST doing it for aesthetic purposes in the BB area, and aren't doing it to free up space on the bar, or enable you to route your dropper lever a bit better and and and, then I'd stick with what you have until you NEED to replace it. 

As for the "not fit enough" thing - nonsense. I'm far from fit, and I manage on a 1x10 quite easily. Going up to a 32 / 34 in the very near future as well, and with the 40t at the back, that equates to you sitting in the granny up front and 2nd in the back. Plus, you quickly get yourself out of that "too unfit for 1x10" stage, if such a thing exists. 

I wouldn't go 2x10, as that would just be switching one for the other, and would probably mean a new crank, unless you used your existing one and just took off the big ring, whilst setting the FD's limits so that you couldn't shift into the big blade in a fit of descending glory. 

Option 3 - get a Praxxis cassette (11-40) which has the right ratios to start with and doesn't require you to mix and match.  Slap a NW on the front and Bob's your aunty.

Otherwise go to 2x10.  It has all of the gears that you're missing by going 1x10 with none of the overlaps of the 3x10.

Although if money is no object, go for the 1x11.  Best of everything.

Have you already got a clutch RD?  If not, you'll need one for the 1x setups.

No i don't, would definitely get a clutch RD regardless of any way i decide to go. 

I don't understand the 1x11 trend.  The weight doesn't make that big a difference.  When I was mtb-ing I had three chain rings.  If I could I would've had 4.  Running out of gears on a hill or a long flat is never nice and costs you time and energy (much more than the weight saving).  Rather have the option of a small ring for steep peaks and large ring for some speed on the flats.  

I have given up trying to understand the mtb-world.  You guys are nuts.  Yet, every packet of mixed fruits, some nuts are required I guess.

If I were you, I'd ride the current setup until it is shot and then switch to a 2X10. Very reliable and cheap. You'll never run out of gears with a good 2X10 (with an 11-36 cassette and 22/36 chainrings).

It all depends on your personal preference and budget.  

No i don't, would definitely get a clutch RD regardless of any way i decide to go. 

My advice then... ride it until it breaks, and save in the meantime for your ideal purchase. Either a full XT 1x11 drivetrain, or whatever floats your boat. 

To have the best of both worlds I would suggest you:

• 2x11 (11x40 cassette and 36/26 chain ring)
  • Sell the 3x10

Good luck with your decision.

Hi Maximus,  similar scenario (need serious granny where I ride). Waited till my 3x10 chain and cassette needed replacement then installed the Praxis 11-40 cassette and reverted back to double on front (26-39) . this  has wide enough range to stay in either of the 2 front chainrings depending on the terrain. Been using this for a month now and very happy. 1x11 requires a bigger cash outlay to convert and for some (strong guys) will be the real deal

http://reviews.mtbr.com/sneak-peek-praxis-works-wide-range-11-40-10-speed-mtb-cassette 

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/08/mtb/reviewed-praxis-works-10-speed-wide-range-mtb-cassette_380327 

Hi Maximis

What Myles Mayhem said...

You will go into the hurt locker a bit more, but with a 30/32 in the front, you will go uphill faster, as opposed to spinning along in granny.

I am running a 32 up front with a regular 10 speed cluster at the back, and don't recall ever pushing. You just need to HTFU and pedal to the occasion.

All you need to try it out, is a narrow wide front ring. I think...

I don't understand the 1x11 trend.  The weight doesn't make that big a difference.  When I was mtb-ing I had three chain rings.  If I could I would've had 4.  Running out of gears on a hill or a long flat is never nice and costs you time and energy (much more than the weight saving).  Rather have the option of a small ring for steep peaks and large ring for some speed on the flats.  

I have given up trying to understand the mtb-world.  You guys are nuts.  Yet, every packet of mixed fruits, some nuts are required I guess.

For me, it's an easy choice. Cleaner bars, I can run the dropper in the position I want to (under the bar, left hand side, instead of on top of the bar where it's just in the way) and more clearance under the BB. Slight weight saving (400g or so all told - not so slight after all) and it just looks BETTER 

Yes, 2x10 is great, and in some places it's wonderful. One place I can honestly say I miss it is on the climb, where coming out of a hard climb in the granny (and 3rd or 4th in the rear or whatever) and going to a flatter section of a climb where I want a harder gear, I'd just change the front and be in the right gear. Now I have to go through 4 or 5 gears just to do that. not a deal breaker, but it's a minor irritation more than anything else. 3 seconds vs 1. 

You already said you need the granny gear... so sounds like you are not fit enough to go 1x10 yet.

Maybe change the cassette to 11-36, put the chain on the middle chainring (34) and tape up the front shifter so you cannot use it (even if the temptation is there).. and see how you ride 1x10 on your middle ring.... before you decide to spend the cash... as you may find it is not for you

If that is your only option, it comes quick.

Going 1x10 is just a mind game.

With the current cassett and 29" wheels I'll suggest going 30 or 32 up front (riding all the way up Cascades 'high way' will be very tough though with a 32).

Archived