[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Had an awesome ride in 1D.

Lost a lung up Edinburgh drive- never thought I can go up a hill that fast. It was one big bunch even up Smits. I was in the front part up smits and was quite pleased that I managed to stay with front guys. About 200 m from the top my chain dropped and I couldn't get it back on. I have to stop- in the middle of the road- and have to wait for the whole peleton to pass before I could get off and put it back.

Luckily just after smits 2 tandems came past and I stay with them untill that climb before noordhoek, where I left them. About here 1E also caught up with me and I stayed with them till the end.

end up with 3h03, but I'm pretty sure that if my chain didn't drop I could have done a sub 3. Next year!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first full CTCT yesterday! Such an amazing route, wow! But jeeeezzz, I saw some hectic crashes, hope all is ok. There was a guy in our small bunch about 5-10km before Houtbay (I think) who flipped over his handlebars. We were doing +50km/h at that stage. I literally saw his helmet explode into pieces as he hit the road, scary!

Managed 3:07 on my MTB from 1C. Lots of friendly okes in our group, good vibe!

I passed a guy from 1 C (up chappies- I think, might be suikerbossie) with a helmet shattered in pieces. He had a yellow-ish and white top on and it also was ripped from what seems to be a nasty fall. Kudo's for him continuing after such a nasty fall.  :thumbup:

Friend of mine had a fall at the 50km mark.

Broke his left wrist, but still continued to finish in 3:50. 

Could not change front derailer, cycled in small blade all the way.

Off the bike for at least 10 weeks, playing havoc with his Ironman training.

Friend of mine had a fall at the 50km mark.

Broke his left wrist, but still continued to finish in 3:50.

Could not change front derailer, cycled in small blade all the way.

Off the bike for at least 10 weeks, playing havoc with his Ironman training.

He finished in 3.50 with a broken wrist and only small blade for more than half the race. He is an ironman already!

3h39m for me from 3E, first "Argus" and my target was a sub 4.

Nerves really played with me. Im chuffed since I know i could have been quicker with less traffic. Was so nervous I forgot to eat on the route, had about 1ltr of Fluids. 

Sprinted to what I thought was the finish and sukkeled to the actual finish which was a further coupla hundred meters away. Nearly cried because I pushed too hard too soon, nearly couldn't crank the pedals over to the mat.

Had an awesome ride in 1D.

Lost a lung up Edinburgh drive- never thought I can go up a hill that fast. It was one big bunch even up Smits. I was in the front part up smits and was quite pleased that I managed to stay with front guys. About 200 m from the top my chain dropped and I couldn't get it back on. I have to stop- in the middle of the road- and have to wait for the whole peleton to pass before I could get off and put it back.

Luckily just after smits 2 tandems came past and I stay with them untill that climb before noordhoek, where I left them. About here 1E also caught up with me and I stayed with them till the end.

end up with 3h03, but I'm pretty sure that if my chain didn't drop I could have done a sub 3. Next year!

Umm 59 riders from 1E went Sub 3 so your timing or race review is out somewhere...

Umm 59 riders from 1E went Sub 3 so your timing or race review is out somewhere...

Whats the time gap between the start of 1D and 1E? Did some of 1E ride accross to 1D?

Whats the time gap between the start of 1D and 1E? Did some of 1E ride accross to 1D?

1 min between groups, all info available on Racetec.

1 min between groups, all info available on Racetec.

Ok so the gap is 2:57 to 3:03 in 1E. Surely its conceivable that about 60 of the 185 made a break towards the end?

Ok so the gap is 2:57 to 3:03 in 1E. Surely its conceivable that about 60 of the 185 made a break towards the end?

It's really not that important but my point was that from 1D if you finished with the leaders of 1E then your time would be around 02:58 i.e 02:57 + 1 min. A 03:03 indicates finishing mid pack in 1E.

Wow the roads are mighty quiet, alot of action in the fields now. Time to get a mountain bike.

Back onto the MTB for me, got the Trans Elands & Baviaans coming up.

Archived