Shimano XTR Pedals - Terrible Experience

Cycle Fan

Most things break if not serviced regulary and correctly

Not PDM540's those suckers dont need any love and they just keep coming back for more.

They are the stalkers of the pedal world, just less creepy.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem shimano replaced them with a new pair but I sold them straight away as new took a little knock but they paid for my new xt.  As someone said before xt are bomb proof.

go S-track they are a bit pricey(well compared to the XTR not really) you wil never ever look back   My 2c

But with that said : I have never had any problems with shimano  :thumbup:

Oh boy here we go again blaming Shimano for user negligence. I have a few pairs new & old, have also taken them apart as well. It's no secret that the pedals need to be serviced regularly or maybe it is top secret. In your case & many other cases including my own, the grease dried up from the pedal bearings, thus running dry & cutting through the spindle, this could be due to riding in the rain, through knee deep river crossings, high pressure hoses, etc. all good & well but you need to regularly take them apart, clean & regrease.

This is a tedious & precision job which requires loads of patients, I'm yet to find a LBS who would be willing to do this.

I've had the same set of XTR pedals since 2007. They've done two Epics, two Pioneer Treks, many other two and three day races (including a few very muddy Sabie Experiences) and all the training necessary to participate in those events.

They've never been serviced, they've never given a moment's trouble and they are still on my bike being used whenever I get a chance for a ride. Without question THE most long lasting and durable components I've ever had. Only a few Specialized gloves from the same year are still in use - and yes, those gloves are pretty tatty, but they still get used.

Shimano pedals are, in my opinion, the pinnacle of MTB pedal technology. Durable, simple design, great feel, easy to clip in and out even in 'tricky' situations.

I have used Shimano XT or lower for 15 years and never had an issue. Never repaired or opened them

When egg-beater owners tell me about how easy it is to replace the bearings in theirs and how you can just quickly repair them, I feel like a Land Cruiser owner being told that Land Rovers are great because they so easy to service, so that when you need to replace the gearbox or diff half way through a trip, you just quickly...

I have 2 pairs of XTR pedals that I cannot service myself - little ballbearings everywhere. LBS said it is not worth it. All the rest XT (and 1 Ritchey). No problems. IMHO XTR not worth it. XT all the way.

I have 2 pairs of XTR pedals that I cannot service myself - little ballbearings everywhere. LBS said it is not worth it. All the rest XT (and 1 Ritchey). No problems. IMHO XTR not worth it. XT all the way.

ship them to me?

I will check tmrw. If I find them-I ship 2 pairs and you return 1 set?

no XTR pedals are crap remember I buy 2 pairs from you?

One generation of XTR pedals had an issue with (I think) a titanium shaft that was breaking. A lot were repaired under warranty, and if warranty is an issue then service kits for those pedals are available for a simple repair (pedal axle / bearing cartridge). No more problems.

Still a top end pedal from the range that is pretty much the universal benchmark.

Thanks for the responses. I'm rather reluctant to go the Shimano route again - but in their defence it does seem to be a problem with the XTR's in particular. Unfortunately they are out of warranty so no claim there...

The problem is only with xtr pedals, xt are bomb proof. Well documented that the axles fail.

ARe you aware that xtr has a 3 yr warrantee?

XTR pedals have a 100kg spindle weight limit. That really just means they are for skinny race snakes whose sponsors can afford to replace them each season...

XTR pedals have a 100kg spindle weight limit. That really just means they are for skinny race snakes whose sponsors can afford to replace them each season...

Bought XTR trails recently and very happy with them so far.

I do not find this 'weight limit' anywhere in the user manual or on the pedals or on the box they came in. The manual even has a 'Important Safety Information' section which says nothing on the matter of rider weights. The Shimano website also mentions nothing about a weight limit on these.

Current XTR pedal spindles are chromoly not Ti...although some older models may have been Ti as it is an obvious choice....

Archived