Action camera durability

BikeBret

3.5 hrs would be perfect...only problem with my go pro...on hot days...if i dont use the remote on the handlebar...the camera overheats and shuts down before the battery goes flat...i was told if i did the firmware upgrade it would resolve that issue...now i only use it for short fun rides.

Never Had any issues with the durability of the cases or mounts...sometimes the nuts fall out...a dab of super fixes that problem...i also use rubber tape to prevent the mount slipping.

Have you done the upgrade yet?

when buying an action cam buy the real deal...GoPro, Garmin Verb, etc....unfortunately these SJ cameras state a 12mp quality but once you use it and compare quality of video to a better bran camera you notice the SJ is lacking it a bit.

I had a review somewhere where they compared the GoPro and SJ and they said the SJ specs is definitely not as stated as the GoPro pictures and quality was better. However for someone who just wants to record normal rides and fool around nothing wrong with the SJ and price wise it is easier to pay R1000 than R6000...but in the end you cant expect n lamborgini but pay for a uno, you get a Uno f you pay for a Uno

I personally enjoy my GoPro, it is the hero3 Black, works fine, se it at Killarney on motorcycle track days and when I go mtb with it no problems, the battery life just sucks though.

Flowta...no i havent upgraded yet...just not prepared to blow R 6k on a camera that "might" have the same issues...need to find the assos of action cameras...i am prepared to spend the money...just havent found it yet...

I would agree so long as you are not riding into the sun...early morning or late afternoon...the pic quality is good using the go pro...

Or it might just take a step back to look at the big picture to find alternate ways to resolve the issues...

Maybe even using an old iphone 5 in a lifeproof cover mounted on the bike...i have a waterproof battery pack which i could use and seal the cable connections with epoxy....you get good quality pic...you have a phone...a video camera...a gps...not sure how hot it would get...if concerned about storage space an external hard drive which connects and downloads as you get close to your vehicle after the ride...just a thought.

I am sure there must hi tech. Junkies who have better solutions

I must still try and figure out how to use my remote. Currently have the Garmin on the stem, so can't mount it there. Back pockets next best I assume?

Also keen on the Garmin virb with the GPS on the video.

If anybody has any experience with that camera.

Yeah, I used it on 3 towers race this year. Only other camera I've used to compare it with is the GoPro 1.

My verdict- nice camera, Pros are the "auto-on" record button, means that you can save battery and turn it on and start recording quickly and easily (just the slide of a switch). you can also take photos while recording, much better than the GoPro I have. The Gps thing is cool but a bit of a gimick. It is kinda cool to have the data on the screen. You can include a whole bunch of metrics and it also connects to your garmin speed/cad sensor and can be controlled from the garmin unit (I have the 510) if its in an inaccessible place.

Overall, if I had to do it again, I would get neither and spend money on something worthwhile. I think action cams are overrated unless you do really cool stuff (eg, wingsuiting, backflips, etc). The editing is just not worth the effort.

I Havent had any experience with this camera myself but am quite interested in uying myself an sj4000 wifi Sports Camera and was wondering if anyine had any experience with these

I have two. The most recent one is the cheapest one. They selling it now for 35 USD on aliexpress. The recording time is about one hour, batteries are cheap (about 4 to 5 dollars each). One hour is plenty, it is a pain to edit this long videos. I choose where I think the best part of the ride will be and switch it on, let it roll.

The resolution is as good as it says. The really cheap one is 1980 by 1280 at 15 fps or 1240 by 1080 at 30 fps. I use the 30fps, which is very good. The cheap one shoots AVI, about 5 GIG for 30 minutes. The videos are not stabilised, when you load to Youtube they are stabilised very well.

They now have a better SJCAM which is a copy of the most recent GoPro. It is about 80 to 90 dollars.

I Havent had any experience with this camera myself but am quite interested in uying myself an sj4000 wifi Sports Camera and was wondering if anyine had any experience with these

Yes I've got an sj4000.... Great camera, only the angle bar that cam with broke (plastic) on around 40km/h and the camera fell on rocks but Dit not even stop recording.

So I got myself an aluminium mount and all is great!

I bought a SJ400 wifi earlier this year. I am not that happy with the quality when mountainbiking ( I use it for paintball now). The video is very " jumpy ", excuse my very non technical jargon, t does not seem to like speed/bumpy terrain to much (recorded at 720P @ 60FPS), . Also, it does not react very well to light intensity changes.

The mountings are made of very cheap, very shiny plastic, so the camera tends to drift in its mounts (I fixed this by roughening up the surface with sandpaper).

edit: spelling

I must still try and figure out how to use my remote. Currently have the Garmin on the stem, so can't mount it there. Back pockets next best I assume?

post-70852-1446728157,4306.jpg

Simple solution for remote mount...use a pump strap...R10 at Sportsmans...with a thin piece of nylon tied to the key clip...just in case tge strap comes loose...put some rubber tape on handlebar it stops the remote slipping down

The remote switches the camera off...saving battery power...you just need to remember it takes a while to reboot when you switch it on...i havent done it but i believe you can make it record as it reboots without pressing record...need to verify this statement

post-70852-1446728489,7238.jpg

Sorry boet but you're mistaken. In order to use the remote you have to have bluetooth enabled and that sucks power. In my experience, one hour is all you have even if you don't leave it running all the time. 

One thing which may save power is the frame rate you are using. Running at like I do at 120fps also drains batteries. Try it at, say, 60fps and see if that makes a difference. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone having experience of the Garmin Virb elite? They are currently selling at a very good price but to me it looks a bit bulky. Any comments?

Archived