New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

7 minutes ago, patches said:

Yup! She went to PTA for passport viewing and had her medical at the one-and-only Dr Cobb (who nearly every JHB Saffer immigrant has been to, haha).

So yeah, seems she was just unlucky enough to get mixed in with the backlog.

Did you add a screenshot to her visa application page as additional information of the email you/she would have got when they completed the medicals with the ref nr? 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, hayleyearth said:

Did you add a screenshot to her visa application page as additional information of the email you/she would have got when they completed the medicals with the ref nr? 

Nope, but I'll try that. 

She did get an email from the Aus government agency that processes the medicals on behalf of INZ, saying that INZ had been sent the medicals, but no harm in reminding INZ that they have it.

Thanks for the tip!

On 12/2/2022 at 9:47 AM, hayleyearth said:

On 12/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, patches said:

Nope, but I'll try that. 

She did get an email from the Aus government agency that processes the medicals on behalf of INZ, saying that INZ had been sent the medicals, but no harm in reminding INZ that they have it.

Thanks for the tip!

So turns out my Mom's visa was approved nearly 3 weeks ago, but she missed the email 😅🙈

Frustrating that the INZ portal doesn't have an accurate status, but a relief that she has the visa.

Now to find a time when flights don't cost a small fortune.

1 hour ago, patches said:

When you get this right, let me know the winning lotto numbers too.

(FYI - My inlaws got the best deal on Emirates recently)

2 hours ago, patches said:

So turns out my Mom's visa was approved nearly 3 weeks ago, but she missed the email 😅🙈

Frustrating that the INZ portal doesn't have an accurate status, but a relief that she has the visa.

Wanted to say that that "lapsed" status means it is done ...

Edit: mine will only come possibly from June when Layla starts school 

Edited by hayleyearth

19 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

When you get this right, let me know the winning lotto numbers too.

(FYI - My inlaws got the best deal on Emirates recently)

I'm looking at end Jan/early Feb. Prices drop significantly in those first 2 weeks of Feb.

The catch... I've entered the Dusty Butt Rally and and as I'll likely have to ride my bike down, I'll be travelling from about 13 Feb to 22 Feb.

Maybe my Mom wouldn't mind being my support vehicle/pit crew 😅

On 12/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

I am loving the nice summer weather!

image.png.31762f3873f781584a8089b0b34d0264.png

I know right?!

And I'm skating on thin ice every time I say "damn Auckland and it's weather, Christchurch wouldn't be like this" 😅

Booked my Mom's flights. Exciting times! been nearly 5 years since I last saw her, and it'll be her first ever visit to NZ. She'll be here for roughly 6 months, so that'll be a nice break from the Joburg hustle and bustle for her.

Got a Qantas deal that wasn't tooo bad. Only about $300 more (for a return ticket) than the usual suspects (Qatar and Emirates), but with less than half the travel time than some of those flights, and an easy transit through Sydney.

1 hour ago, patches said:

Booked my Mom's flights. Exciting times! been nearly 5 years since I last saw her, and it'll be her first ever visit to NZ. She'll be here for roughly 6 months, so that'll be a nice break from the Joburg hustle and bustle for her.

Got a Qantas deal that wasn't tooo bad. Only about $300 more (for a return ticket) than the usual suspects (Qatar and Emirates), but with less than half the travel time than some of those flights, and an easy transit through Sydney.

Thats awesome!

13 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

What were the costs for insurance @Wayne Potgieter, if I may ask?

Sure, no problem.

I paid $233 for the Plan A essentials. This had a $150 excess and the insurance was valid for 15 days.

10 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

Sure, no problem.

I paid $233 for the Plan A essentials. This had a $150 excess and the insurance was valid for 15 days.

Thanks man, assuming this is per person or do they do a family cover?

We will be travelling on March/April 2023 most probably, never felt the need to take out travel insurance but given the uncertainties and risks it seems like it may be worth looking into.