New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

11 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Yip! Just do it yourself.

If you have kids around the age of 4 years old, I'll do it for a play date in return. 

Bring your kids to my place for a day and you and T can take a day to go do stuff...lord knows you are in SEVERE babysitting credit with me.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I would just build it up myself personally, find a local hubber that side who might have the correct tools.
If its in a box it can't be that stripped down, surely just wheels, seat, brakes, etc. ......

12 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Come on, just offer to help hom out for a Bundaberg in return..it will take you less time and we all can build a bike better than any oke at any Torpedo7, etc etc!!!! 

(Have i told you yet that we make Bundaberg at my work!)

Bingo! hahaha!

I was going to offer my tools and services, but but didn't want to assume that Byron is fine with random unqualified persons fiddling with his bike 😅

Although as hayleyearth has pointed out, a number of us are all too well familiar when it comes to travelling with boxed bikes and the reassembly at either end.

Some good memories of building up downhill bikes in dingy French alpine cellars.

image.png.9526021068f55731fe12df65aacf3fdc.png

Anyway, @ByronH I'm also happy to help, although sounds like Wayne has a better toolbox (admittedly mine has become more dirt bike focused over the years). Drop me a DM if you're keen, I'm just a few km away.

Also, we should arrange a Auckland-Saffer group ride at Woodhill sometime.

Edited by patches

1 hour ago, patches said:

Bingo! hahaha!

I was going to offer my tools and services, but but didn't want to assume that Byron is fine with random unqualified persons fiddling with his bike 😅

Although as hayleyearth has pointed out, a number of us are all too well familiar when it comes to travelling with boxed bikes and the reassembly at either end.

Some good memories of building up downhill bikes in dingy French alpine cellars.

image.png.9526021068f55731fe12df65aacf3fdc.png

Anyway, @ByronH I'm also happy to help, although sounds like Wayne has a better toolbox (admittedly mine has become more dirt bike focused over the years). Drop me a DM if you're keen, I'm just a few km away.

Also, we should arrange a Auckland-Saffer group ride at Woodhill sometime.

I'm really keen on that woodhill ride. Would love to see my daughter on the trails a bit, she's just turned 4 but such a confident rider. If she's not riding her own bike, she'll love to go in front of mine on the trails for sure....

I'm just not too fit at this moment after baby nr 2! So I'll struggle a bit uphill for sure.

Just wish this weather will get a bit better!

Thanks all for the friendly offers. I am going to be visiting Jason at Gear Head Workshop in Rosedale tomorrow to put my bike together :) Exciting!

First trip will be to a quickie to the birkenhead ferry, and then onto town.

But very very keen to join RSA groups doing rides... like Woodhill, etc... please keep me in the loop and I will stat glued to this forum.

General query about riding etiquette here.

I fully understand the cycling lanes... but where it gets a bit blurry is these "shared paths"... is it frowned upon for us to ride on them? Also, is it frowned upon here to ride on grass? I would assume so as its not demarcated "trail"... I only ask because 90% of my MTB'ing in JNB, South Africa was informal walking paths on the side of the road 😁

1 hour ago, ByronH said:

Thanks all for the friendly offers. I am going to be visiting Jason at Gear Head Workshop in Rosedale tomorrow to put my bike together :) Exciting!

But very very keen to join RSA groups doing rides... like Woodhill, etc... please keep me in the loop and I will stat glued to this forum.

I fully understand the cycling lanes... but where it gets a bit blurry is these "shared paths"... is it frowned upon for us to ride on them? Also, is it frowned upon here to ride on grass? I would assume so as its not demarcated "trail"... I only ask because 90% of my MTB'ing in JNB, South Africa was informal walking paths on the side of the road 😁

Shared paths (the ones that have both cyclists and pedestrian symbols) are fine for riding along.

Shared paths | Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency

Basic rule is keep left, and use the road or a dedicated bike path if you're trying to break strava records, ahah (the path along Tamaki Drive to Mission Bay is an awesome scenic shared path, but the serious cyclists find it too slow so opt for the road).

Not too sure about grass riding. If it's people's property or across sports fields etc, it's likely frowned upon. If it's to make your way through a park, then it should be ok.

I'm away in Sydney this weekend, but would be keen for a Woodhill trip next weekend.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:40 PM, ByronH said:

Morning, also fresh on shore and will be keen to join some rides, just as soon as my bikes arrive if our container ever gets picked up from Singapore 🙂. The withdrawal is bad... 

Edited by Lifer

ok, need some help from the kiwi hubbers...

My in laws are coming for a few weeks from Jozi. They will be here from Christmas to Mid Jan.

We are planning on doing a few little mini breaks in amongst local moving around and I am trying to get my hands on a 8 seater+ car.

I have looked at rentals, but almost had a heart attack when the quotes were around $4k plus. One option is a car subscription for a month that works out quite cost effective at around $1,500 for the month.

Then I wondered if anyone has a 8 seater car that we can do a swop with my new Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid for a few weeks? Naturally, we put each other on the insurance plan and so on...

2 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

ok, need some help from the kiwi hubbers...

My in laws are coming for a few weeks from Jozi. They will be here from Christmas to Mid Jan.

We are planning on doing a few little mini breaks in amongst local moving around and I am trying to get my hands on a 8 seater+ car.

I have looked at rentals, but almost had a heart attack when the quotes were around $4k plus. One option is a car subscription for a month that works out quite cost effective at around $1,500 for the month.

Then I wondered if anyone has a 8 seater car that we can do a swop with my new Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid for a few weeks? Naturally, we put each other on the insurance plan and so on...

Depending on your relationship with the in-laws, maybe consider a luggage trailer and pillows..........

3 hours ago, patches said:

Not a bad view from the train on our way to airport on Monday.

SkLRJJAm7LfyRvy8cfoxmls9y7ZVezvhQUblAAF8puj0ncpJ2pOmeBfjnKJShaYcnsHdED4R1DULuNqyrhd8xFNVMfWbhWRBz0MOI0MezRloS4QstKsoRpGT0Feqvvbpe55g_ApzS2AqGOkK3wwVL2ahh8DeHMBIdB-xzfnR4lTeGTyp6POR7d9cjcSIhhCj0Bk7Y5IahRDeip_ZjaFCKy_0GMmSKL9zyb9lm_6wNi_gXSwCDtI7XyN3Ta2aVDjXHATfSr9lbkqynlW1Wg4uDp4ybjY84YrD7zicUNilrjA2B3D-KZDc2duTeATXmpjX2e4AwZCBcov8y4u-2wwbTWsTdnnxoiwSOt_uZBS4XhwNV4Lz0Bi4tG8l7lyXMc5LBl0Mv7umSSOkOD24KmQRh6Nq50wo0JyfYcFi4260dbz8mLc3VM33Dd6FDTbwOwX54wDuOrjn3jdIVc6nqA1j5KcB7VU8W-2D4-MR8XavFECG-IrclnjjDwisPXKZUuafaYwglqOkCo5-EJmQkW8n572bdEhkmCxzgIt1ZCnsIp_-8GiUO_cQ6xUnCZe-glw-wlkqFwwrWgbzz_tK0UbqPjyaL9-V2AUb24lcRiAf8IyrEHgZ_z4wKwsTLLR8LIdHM6f4ZQnUYtpoiZQnpcFWRX3_U03rC9IKLkZWx_3TpXVVzLdeZGt-oDMYjFNoAxH-IILILJ7S1OyG6a8vzrIiMi2q-OXATK8qme932u3UqnCvN2uz2OAKqWLTOsbt=w1099-h824-no?authuser=0

If this photo doesn't scream "Sydney", I don't know what does!

Can't see the pic.........

Wifi options in SA?

My parents are paying through the roof I think for a Vodacom package which doesn't give great coverage. Most of the time I can't even video call over the phone.

What options do you guys know of in SA that doesn't cost an arm or a leg?

1 hour ago, hayleyearth said:

Wifi options in SA?

My parents are paying through the roof I think for a Vodacom package which doesn't give great coverage. Most of the time I can't even video call over the phone.

I'm guessing fibre hasn't rolled out to Boesmans yet.

Afrihost and Telkom have some LTE options. MTN also seems to have a decent deal through the Mweb website:

image.png.44cc6eaec0b976323d0cf2ecb4e06782.png

On 8/10/2022 at 3:40 PM, Wayne Potgieter said:

There's also, if you're brave, the option of just buying and then selling.  In theory, over a month or two, you should lose little value.

11 hours ago, hayleyearth said:

Wifi options in SA?

My father uses these guys.  Whenever I ask him what his package is it seems amazingly cheap.

I know nothing about them, no endorsement.  It seems to work fine in Grahamstown.

https://www.axxess.co.za/