New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As anyone applied for Police Clearance from this side? :wacko:

yes why

Do you mean RSA side?

Edited by Kranswurm

So finally flying over friday night..arrive Sat evening late and in Auckland for the week.

Is it worth bringing a roadbike for some riding on days where I have a gap? Would love to bring Mtb but roadbike is just much easier.

As anyone applied for Police Clearance from this side? :wacko:

For SA Police Clearance from NZ

I'm going through Passports 4U. They're SA based and can expedite the process (1-2 days that side).

One has to get prints taken at certain Post Shops in NZ (Sunnynook or Dominion Rd in Auckland), send to P4U along with proof of payment of SAPS fee (R114).

They will then courier back to NZ.

I will be doing the same for my unabridged birth certificate. There are 4 of us doing this mid next month, so we're going to try get a discount form them.

For NZ Police Clearance

Technically NZ doesn't do a Police Clearance as such. In stead they have 2 options. Police Vetting and Criminal record Check. They're essentially the same, the only difference being is that the vetting states instances of any contact with the police, additional to convictions.

The Criminal Record check is fine for residency applications. The application form can be found online. Complete, email it to them, then they should send it back in about 20 working days.

INZ can also apply for it on your behalf when you submit your residency application, but that may delay the process slightly. Best get it done before.

Edited by patches

For SA Police Clearance from NZ

I'm going through Passports 4U. They're SA based and can expedite the process (1-2 days that side).

One has to get prints taken at certain Post Shops in NZ (Sunnynook or Dominion Rd in Auckland), send to P4U along with proof of payment of SAPS fee (R114).

They will then courier back to NZ.

I will be doing the same for my unabridged birth certificate. There are 4 of us doing this mid next month, so we're going to try get a discount form them.

For NZ Police Clearance

Technically NZ doesn't do a Police Clearance as such. In stead they have 2 options. Police Vetting and Criminal record Check. They're essentially the same, the only difference being is that the vetting states instances of any contact with the police, additional to convictions.

The Criminal Record check is fine for residency applications. The application form can be found online. Complete, email it to them, then they should send it back in about 20 working days.

INZ can also apply for it on your behalf when you submit your residency application, but that may delay the process slightly. Best get it done before.

I have used P4U before I came here. I think it was like R1500 without any courier cost, I went to fetched it from them, so I cant imagine how expensive it will be now.

I have done the finger prints at NZ Post Office, $55 (electronic copy). Now to post it (and the other documents) to the SA police department - don't know how much that will cost.

Plus the R114 of application (small change) and then what concerns me most is to get someone to collect it and post it back to NZ.

PostNet in Pretoria can do it, they charge R300 for collection and R575 to courier back to NZ. (Which I guess is quite less if one goes through a company as above.)

Wonder if I can trust normal postage from SA to NZ...

I have used P4U before I came here. I think it was like R1500 without any courier cost, I went to fetched it from them, so I cant imagine how expensive it will be now.

I have done the finger prints at NZ Post Office, $55 (electronic copy). Now to post it (and the other documents) to the SA police department - don't know how much that will cost.

Plus the R114 of application (small change) and then what concerns me most is to get someone to collect it and post it back to NZ.

PostNet in Pretoria can do it, they charge R300 for collection and R575 to courier back to NZ. (Which I guess is quite less if one goes through a company as above.)

Wonder if I can trust normal postage from SA to NZ...

I'm not completely familiar with the requirements currently as I did this about 7 months ago but do check whether the finger prints need to be in electronic or physical format. My prints had to be in ink on paper, as if they were being taken at a SAPS station in JHB somewhere.

post-7393-0-08233700-1519097925_thumb.png

I'm not completely familiar with the requirements currently as I did this about 7 months ago but do check whether the finger prints need to be in electronic or physical format. My prints had to be in ink on paper, as if they were being taken at a SAPS station in JHB somewhere.

Yip, here the electronic one is official because non of the police stations takes finger prints anymore, only the post shop at certain locations and it's got all those thingies on (signature and stamp etc)

Has anyone here applied for a PR while still being a 'tax resident' in SA?

Just saw this:

"Note: If, under the provisions of a double tax agreement

(DTA), you also have tax residence status in another

country, you will not be considered to have tax residence

status in New Zealand for the purpose of meeting the

requirements for a permanent resident visa."

Yip, here the electronic one is official because non of the police stations takes finger prints anymore, only the post shop at certain locations and it's got all those thingies on (signature and stamp etc)

When asked if I want digital or old-school, I also went with the digital printed version. Reason being was for an extra $5 I could get a second copy (saves me $50 if for whatever reason they need to be retaken). Also for some reason they struggled to get my thumb prints to stay in the box. So had that have been ink, it would mean starting all over again.

Edited by patches

Has anyone here applied for a PR while still being a 'tax resident' in SA?

Just saw this:

"Note: If, under the provisions of a double tax agreement

(DTA), you also have tax residence status in another

country, you will not be considered to have tax residence

status in New Zealand for the purpose of meeting the

requirements for a permanent resident visa."

I may be wrong, but I think the DTA has to do with showing a "commitment" to living in NZ.

As mentioned before, Work to Residence visa holders can apply for Residence after 2yrs working for an accredited employer. That Residence might be fast tracked to Permanent Residence if the applicant earns over $90 000pa. (Although I have heard that $90k is almost like the 140 points for Skilled Migrant Visas. In order for INZ to almost guarantee a fast track they prefer a figure of over $100k, again just like 160+ points for Skilled Migrant visas almost guarantees an approval).

In terms of the showing a "commitment to New Zealand", there are various ways. Tax residence is only 1 of those, and like you mentioned, if you are still an SA tax resident then you cannot use that (even if SA and NZ have a DTA, which they do... for now).

Most of the other ways require time though, so I'm not sure what else can be substituted for the DTA opition.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/tools-and-information/general-information/commitment-to-new-zealand

Edited by patches

So after nearly 18 months off the bicycle (I was distrcated by it's petrol powered big brother), I have decided to make a concerted effort to push some pedals again.

This came after the realization that I have been to ALL 4 of the MTB parks listed in Pinkbike's recent Trip of a Lifetime competition (Christchurch Adventure Park, Queenstown and Rotorua Skyline's, and Threadbo in Aus)...

The catch... I didn't ride a single one of them  :ph34r:  :blush: 

(A crime that should be punishable by death).

Anyway, I have turned a new leaf and plan to get out on the MTB way more this year. Sadly I don't live within a few hundred meters of killer Christchurch trails anymore, so I'm calling on the Aucklanders here to give some suggestions on good riding!

Aaaand go!

So after nearly 18 months off the bicycle (I was distrcated by it's petrol powered big brother), I have decided to make a concerted effort to push some pedals again.

This came after the realization that I have been to ALL 4 of the MTB parks listed in Pinkbike's recent Trip of a Lifetime competition (Christchurch Adventure Park, Queenstown and Rotorua Skyline's, and Threadbo in Aus)...

Anyway, I have turned a new leaf and plan to get out on the MTB way more this year. Sadly I don't live within a few hundred meters of killer Christchurch trails anymore, so I'm calling on the Aucklanders here to give some suggestions on good riding!

Aaaand go!

Rotorua!

I will drive there any weekend instead of driving to any of the local parks (although I love the "booty call" trail at Woodhill).

Costs for a weekend to Rotorua isn't much at all, we usually stay at The Blue Lakes camp grounds and ride/run into the forest from our tent/van. Cooling down in the lake (that is right on the door step of the camp ground) is amazing too.

Oh and I rate the Redwoods area (thus the free trails in Rotorua) to be way better than the Skyline ones.

All that said, still a few months till I am back on a MTB again, did a road ride this past weekend but didn't feel safe on the roads (as I use to when it was just me).

Rotorua!

I will drive there any weekend instead of driving to any of the local parks (although I love the "booty call" trail at Woodhill).

Costs for a weekend to Rotorua isn't much at all, we usually stay at The Blue Lakes camp grounds and ride/run into the forest from our tent/van. Cooling down in the lake (that is right on the door step of the camp ground) is amazing too.

Oh and I rate the Redwoods area (thus the free trails in Rotorua) to be way better than the Skyline ones.

All that said, still a few months till I am back on a MTB again, did a road ride this past weekend but didn't feel safe on the roads (as I use to when it was just me).

Thanks for that.

I'll be heading to Rotorua next weekend for a day trip.

I'm trying to figure out if the Skyline gondola or the other shuttled trails are the best use of one's money.

As for Auckland, I plan to try Woodhill and Riverhead.

I have also heard of a place called Four Fourty (440) that does shuttles. Anyone been there?

Damn I never expected Christchurch's many MTB options while I was there.

*kicking myself*

Thanks for that.

I'll be heading to Rotorua next weekend for a day trip.

I'm trying to figure out if the Skyline gondola or the other shuttled trails are the best use of one's money.

As for Auckland, I plan to try Woodhill and Riverhead.

I have also heard of a place called Four Fourty (440) that does shuttles. Anyone been there?

Damn I never expected Christchurch's many MTB options while I was there.

*kicking myself*

Yip been to 440.

More tehnical than the other two (with jumps etc), not as much ground to cover than Woodhill though and also you dont have the option not to use the shuttle at 440.

For your current fitness you will enjoy skyline more I would say, more trails closer together. At the other trails they only drop you at one point and although there are a few fun trails from the drop off point, there are amazing ones even further from the drop off point and require some pedalling.

Aaaand go!

This is usually the point that I punt my local trails at Maraetai Forest (East Auckland), however they have just closed for logging, likely until next summer  :thumbdown: .

Rotorua is pretty awesome, and I far prefer the redwoods to skyline. You can ride in the forest for hours, there's a huge range of different trails and some spots are just awesome to take in the scents of nature.

Closer to home, I haven't been to Woodhill for a while, but apparently its a bit better than the last time I was there. Totara Park is ok for some winter xc laps. Hunua forest has some nice xc loops through native bush.

440 is good fun and now that Maraetai is closed I'll need to head out there again.