New Zealand - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Wayne Potgieter

Tax residency is based basically on your intention to be ordinarily resident in SA. 

Given Covid and not leaving NZ for years, and that you've emigrated, that's currently a given. 

Should you decided to go back and live and work six months a year, then things will get more complicated.

You can still log in to eFiling and file returns etc with no bank acc.

https://www.sars.gov.za/individuals/cease-to-be-a-resident/

For those that are interested in financial emigration:

image.png.d65f0c828f31dd9d18b5976c6c7588be.png

In my 2019 tax yr return on eFiling I said 'no income from x date' reason 'emigrated to NZ'.  Uploaded visa / passport entry stamp.

Done.  I had previously emptied out everything from there to here.

They owe me a decent refund.  They said they will pay it to my NZ bank account, but part of the deal is that I have 'to remove my bank accounts from eFiling, and set my address post codes to 0000'.

You can remove your bank accounts from eFiling website, but they remain on SARS MobiApp.  So as far as they are concerned, I have not 'removed my bank accounts'.  There is no way to remove them on the MobiApp - you can add or change, no delete.

So currently in a cycle of "I've removed my bank accounts, look, here is a screen shot of the website" "You need to remove your accounts from eFiling." all at a 21 day cycle which is their SLA.

My last mail was "Please remove my accounts from MobiApp."   I'm waiting to see what the comeback is on that.

I used to merely loathe SARS, now I really, really, hate them.

Edited by davetapson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, davetapson said:

Made it past the Winter equinox peeps... things can only get better...

haha Just yesterday I was looking at the daylight hours graph, wondering how much we gain each week until glorious daylight savings times are back.

image.png.f25832074afadc12284c2b2f78b3db4c.png

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/new-zealand/auckland

Weather wise though... it's likely that the worst is yet to come. August (even parts of September) can be downright miserable in the AKL.

Anyone else noticed the increased advertisement efforts to lure kiwis to Western Australia?

Not just a tourism campaign, but to live. Higher salaries, lower housing prices, and cheaper cost of living does make it attractive. Oh yeah, and they have Mochachos in Perth!

Almost tempting, if the landscape wasn't so flat and beige and it didn't "feel like Randfontein", a term a friend used on our trip there 2.5yrs ago. (No disrespect to anyone from Randfontein. I lived in Klerksdorp once upon a time so cannot judge).

Edited by patches

Yeah, it's a deathly time of year, equivalent of Feb in the UK.

Days are getting longer but it's still getting colder.

A girl who was working with my wife left for GC for greener pastures (they had been living in Mangawhai commuting to Long Bay couple times a week because rent was cheaper there...)

It hasn't worked out as expected - houses apparently expensive because of the floods(?), husband has not been able to find work... 

3 hours ago, davetapson said:

Yeah, it's a deathly time of year, equivalent of Feb in the UK.

Days are getting longer but it's still getting colder.

A girl who was working with my wife left for GC for greener pastures (they had been living in Mangawhai commuting to Long Bay couple times a week because rent was cheaper there...)

It hasn't worked out as expected - houses apparently expensive because of the floods(?), husband has not been able to find work... 

A good SAFFA mate of mine just went over to Perthfontein to do a look see decide. He currently lives in Half Moon Bay Auckland.

Long story short, he has just bought the new build site 4 houses over from me in Millwater.

Hi gang, question for those here in NZ. Hope some one has been through this.

I am a resident ( not PR yet).

if i take a job with a ausie company it should have no impact on my residency right? If i stay in NZ and work remotely. And no, moving there is not a option as my wife says she is not moving again:)

i assume there would be some tax implications ( possibly).

2 hours ago, eibmoZ said:

Hi gang, question for those here in NZ. Hope some one has been through this.

I am a resident ( not PR yet).

if i take a job with a ausie company it should have no impact on my residency right? If i stay in NZ and work remotely. And no, moving there is not a option as my wife says she is not moving again:)

i assume there would be some tax implications ( possibly).

I asked my wife (she's the head of global mobility for a large NZ corporate) and she said (as suspected): "no immigration issues if the individual isn't physically working in Australia", and that "tax implications are dependent on the individuals remuneration arrangement with the employer".

(Disclaimer: She's not an immigration adviser so takes no responsibility, hahaha)

Considering the massive uptake in remote working in the last 2 years, and the generally higher salaries in Australia, this is a whole other avenue of poaching NZ based talent.

On 6/28/2022 at 1:12 PM, Wayne Potgieter said:

A good SAFFA mate of mine just went over to Perthfontein to do a look see decide. He currently lives in Half Moon Bay Auckland.

Long story short, he has just bought the new build site 4 houses over from me in Millwater.

We have some close friends (originally from Perth) moving back. Family, house prices, and salaries are the biggest drivers.

He's an engineer but decided to leave consulting and do his teachers degree, and although teachers salaries here are vastly higher than SA , they are still a fair bit lower than Australia (especially for graduate teachers).

Being from Perth they also struggle to get their heads around the $1.2m+ house pricing in Auckland. they've showed us what $800k in Perth gets one and it's almost tempting.

(That said, the mental jump for us Saffers is way bigger. Imagine a R12m house in an SA equivalent suburb... seems completely absurd and out-of-reach).

They have admitted that as a city they prefer Auckland, and Perth does feel isolated from the rest of Aus. But after a 5yrs "OE" they are returning home (for a bit).

My wife (Aussie) has hinted at the prospect of an Aussie stint for us, once I get my NZ citizenship (aka 2nd class Aussie residency). But that would more likely be to "Seed-nee' (the kiwi pronunciation) as he family is there, and anything more than 3hrs away means we may as well stay in NZ (borders remaining open and all that).

• 2 weeks later...

The bad...

It's that time of year when it's the long-weekend drought.

No public holidays for 4 months (unless you live in Hawkes Bay or South Canterbury).

I may need to make my own long weekends. 17x 5 days weeks in a row sounds terrible! haha

On 7/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, patches said:

The bad...

It's that time of year when it's the long-weekend drought.

No public holidays for 4 months (unless you live in Hawkes Bay or South Canterbury).

I may need to make my own long weekends. 17x 5 days weeks in a row sounds terrible! haha

Can't be that long, there's one in Oct no?

We are leaving for SA on the 14th Dec, going till the 29th January. CAN'T WAIT for some holidays with the family looking after the kids and me relaxing in the sun!

Edited by hayleyearth

Just now, hayleyearth said:

Can't be that long, there's one in Oct no?

Yup Labour Day, October 24th is the next one. So 4 months between Matariki and that one.

I wish NZ would hold the government and politicians as accountable as they hold the All Blacks and their coach 😅

On 7/19/2022 at 10:50 AM, patches said:

I wish NZ would hold the government and politicians as accountable as they hold the All Blacks and their coach 😅

Heh.

Jake White had a minimum size reqt for players - if you aren't this big, doesn't matter how good you are, sorry.  Watching the AB's against Ireland made me think maybe he had a point.

Anyone on here into snow skiing - I am afraid the bug has bitten us hard on this.

Looking to try and source some second hand stuff and avoid the long lines at rental places.