Accident near Bettysbay

Bernard Horn

567 Cape Talk is reporting an accident involving 2 cyclists between Pringlebay and Bettysbay.

1 Fatality and other cyclist airlifted to hospital.

RIP to cyclist who has passed away and strength to injured cyclist.

Be careful out there

Ai man..., hate to hear these reports. Death in any way is sooo hard to deal with. RIP to you rider, and hope you spend more prescious time with your family, to the other rider...

2 German cyclists doing a cycling tour in SA.  Hit and run.  Motorist missing.  My wife was at the hospital with the medical team.  Survivor looks real bad,  His face is one bloody mess.  He was flown in by heli to Vergelegen MC.  His vitals looks OK, but she believe that he might have serious brain injuries.

Other motorists found them in a ditch next to the road where they were left for dead.

2 German cyclists doing a cycling tour in SA.  Hit and run.  Motorist missing.  My wife was in the emergency room with the medical team.  Survivor looks real bad,  His face is one bloody mess.  He was flown in by heli to Vergelegen MC.  His vitals looks OK, but she believe that he might have serious brain injuries.

Other motorists found them in a ditch next to the road where they were left for dead.

Ag NO!!!! RIP to the down rider and healing vibes to the guy in hospital!

Is it known where along that stretch it happened yet Mor?

From Riaan Manser on FB

Hell cycling is dangerous.

We're out on our ride this morning on Clarence drive to Rooi Els and back .
Pass a group of tourists cycling opposite direction. Wave as we always do.

20 min later , on our way back we come across scene of two of these cyclists run over. One death.

These guys were hit by oncoming vehicle . Their group cycle host, we know, is well disciplined to keep all well in the shoulder - always.

Sharing the road is a lobsided equation - in favor of the two ton object piloted by a possibly very distracted human.

You can't tell me I'm sharing a road. If I share - I do it equally.

I believe my MTB friends who say it is safer sometimes riding along mountain cliffs .

Ag NO!!!! RIP to the down rider and healing vibes to the guy in hospital!

Is it known where along that stretch it happened yet Mor?

No.  Wifey said things were hectic as they were trying to save the survivor's life.  But I guess it is that stretch along the hill that goes downhill to Bettys.  I have rode that before and some cars really ride very fast there.  One car tried to scare me off my bike there by riding almost half meter away from me and one idiot leaned out of the window and shouted "Boo" at me.  Needless to say, I don't ride that stretch anymore.

Terrible, this country needs a mandatory jail term of no less than 7 years if you are eventually caught for a hit and run. If that POS had stopped to give assistance who knows, maybe the other rider would have survived....isn't it time CSA and ASA etc all pulled together to bring something to parliament?

Sounds like it was a group of riders. Have any of the other riders posted up info anywhere of the vehicle, so that social media can get its wheels turning for people to be on the lookout?

Awesome route to cycle BUT you will be risking a lot. No yellow shoulder, sharp corners, cars towing boats,drunk drivers, speeding drivers, drivers cutting corners, etc.

No thanks...been like this for years so avoiding that route.

RIP ????

the motorist will be caught - then lawyer will have case postponed till middle of next year and then have it thrown out of court.

anyone remember the late Dr Koos le Roux - hit and run - perp was found a week later - got off scott free a year later.

Condolences to the family of the deceased. Strength to the survivor.

What sort of a **** runs people over and leaves them for dead? Cyclist or otherwise. I assume someone with a guilty conscience. Drunk, drugged, texting. whatever.

That's a beautiful stretch of road with yellow shoulder MOST of the way. Get narrow in places but generally good. If cars stick to the speed limit and drivers remain alert, its as safe as any road.

Having said that, if they speed and are distracted, ANY road is dangerous. Just so sad when this happens.

Strength to the family and survivor.

the motorist will be caught - then lawyer will have case postponed till middle of next year and then have it thrown out of court.

anyone remember the late Dr Koos le Roux - hit and run - perp was found a week later - got off scott free a year later.

The case against the Koos Roux's driver is not over

Archived