Giba gorge safety

Bicycle Supply Chain

Hi all.

I am down for the week from jhb and was wondering what the safety of Giba is.

I'll be riding form hill rest down st helier rd then off the trail down to Giba.

Is this a safe route?

• 4 weeks later...

Ride that route often up and down. Never had an problem yet. Even headed out to Songweni and into Giba via gravity.

Giba is about the safest. Always best to ride 2 or more incase you have an accident. The freeway side has had a few incidents but in general it's fine. If you ride in do so from the St.Hilliars side. Avoid riding in from westmede side. Mate of mine and a few others have been bikejacked there. Also be careful in shongweni area, these has been quite a lot of activity there. If you alone or with 1 other person rather stay in the giba area.

Ride there at least 3 to 4 times a week and no problems yet, touch wood...

I come in from the Hillcrest side past Toyota and Jaquar.

Ride down into Giba and then hit a few of the trails, you could do about 30kms with around 800m of climbing by the time you get back to the start. With a combination of climbing, technical and challenging descents, it offers a bit of everything.

I don't work for Giba, just a local with nowhere else close to go in the afternoons

Enjoy it and take care on the many technical sections.

• 1 year later...

Driving on the N3 past Giba , I noticed that the informal settlement has grown a lot and moved a bit closer to Giba since we were in the area a year ago. We love riding there when we come down for our yearly break , and I just wanted to find out from the locals if it was still as safe to ride there as in the past , or are there areas that should be approached with caution ?

I’ve been a member of giba for As long as I can remember and ride 99 percent of the time on my own in giba at least twice a week with only and an encounter with a black mamba on two occasions when temp was about 33 degrees. I always ride in from the Hillcrest side or on occasion from the Shongweni side I always feel safe

Edited by shaune

Thanks guy . That’s nice to hear , ‘cause Giba is one of my favorite place to ride. You guys are flippen lucky to have such a lekker plek to ride close to you !

From hillcrest it is safe...however don't go out towards Westmead on the entrance road.

I ride there often...sometimes I am the only person leaving after dark ...my wife and daughter walk to the waterfall...there is a lady who rides a horse in the evenings with a pack of dogs...there are security guards who patrol the park.

You will encounter "workers" who live and move around the park...sometimes walking 2 or 3 in a group.

However never say never...it is not even safe in your home in the suburb so just be cautious.

If riding on your own...just be careful of the downhills...it would be quite a challenge to get a recovery vehicle to you if you go off the track.

Slightly off topic but what happened to the guy who beat off the robbers some time ago and dumped them in a ditch?