Attakwas 2016

Jeanpg

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I asked the organiser about it and apparantly he has a disability, well me too because I struggle with fitness and climbs so I was wondering if I can use one as well [emoji6]

If it is the same dude that did the Gravel and Grape with one last year it is def a disability issue.

I am all for this sort of thing in addition it is apparently a very tech setup. Apparently only kicking in the motor when HR goes over a threshold. He apparently has a condition that would totally preclude him from doing any MTB, but this at least gives him options, and he is not going to win anything even with the assistance so I so good on the organizers for allowing it.

If more people do this good. 

Not sure if it was carbon, but jip looked exactly the same

Totally off topic:

Eendag as ek groot is gaan ek ook in Groot Brakrivier bly.......

Totally off topic:

Eendag as ek groot is gaan ek ook in Groot Brakrivier bly.......

Maaaaar jy moet baie groot wees $$$$$$$$$$ gewys, anders suffer mens meer hier as met die Attakwas[emoji23]

I found this atta very tough,tougher than the last 5 that I have done.

My heartrate was higher than normal and cramps floored me,at Spur stop I was with my one mate ,he rode a half hour into me to the finish.

Man I had to dig deep

See you on the line next year.

I had a fun Atta.

After my fall in December I was off the bike for a month, and as a result sold my entry, but still went with my friends, in a supporting role.

WP2 was just to give out cold bottles, etc, but it was at Spectator Point 2 that I had a great time. Cheered all the guys and gals coming past, fixed a bike or two (converted one okes snazzy Spaz to a single speed after he trashed his rear derailer) pumped up a few tires, lubed a good number of chains, chatted up the babes waiting for hubby/bf to come past, etc.

Fun was had in the sun.....

I found this atta very tough,tougher than the last 5 that I have done.

My heartrate was higher than normal and cramps floored me,at Spur stop I was with my one mate ,he rode a half hour into me to the finish.

Man I had to dig deep

See you on the line next year.

I was there with you.... clenched teeth from cramps in the last 20, also my toughest Atta to date. Real Twilight zone stuff  :eek:

Loads of people cramping on Saturday (including me)

In my case really thought it were those hike-a-bike sessions in the heat that were working muscles not used to suffering as opposed to the actual riding.

Seems this year I must find a nice steep hill at the Tygerberg trails and take my bike for a WALK every now and then!

Loads of people cramping on Saturday (including me)

In my case really thought it were those hike-a-bike sessions in the heat that were working muscles not used to suffering as opposed to the actual riding.

Seems this year I must find a nice steep hill at the Tygerberg trails and take my bike for a WALK every now and then!

I couldn't understand the sudden cramping also. Haven't had issues in a long time, and took preventative measures. Slomag, rennies, crampblock the whole shebang. Then I realized in the past it was my upper leg muscles that cramped, now its my calves. Must be from that nice long walk pushing the bike up that nice hill in the bush.

Took all the advice given here. Slow start . Turned out to be slow throughout. Rehidrat in my water etc. If you're a wannabe MTB'er like me nothing can prepare you for this. Far too little training. The big hills I walked, district ones I could ride. Only got of the bike otherwise for one or two river crossings, and a small section between WP 2 and 3. Pleased that I could do the descent into Bonniedale.

The tables were excellent. Piesangbrood and date balls went down well. Those kids in uniform just so helpful.

" En hierdie wit en pienk pille is vir die krampe oom" at WP 3.

Got home in 10.36, but I never felt that I wouldn't make it.

Nice to hear your name on the finish line.

Edit : Resize skills not too good. Please click on pics.

And BSG ,That Pine Creek park is top notch .

post-24825-0-47704900-1453206250_thumb.jpg

post-24825-0-32530700-1453206280_thumb.jpg

post-24825-0-95569600-1453206311_thumb.jpg

post-24825-0-32186000-1453206365_thumb.jpg

post-24825-0-26664000-1453206386_thumb.jpg

post-24825-0-20212400-1453206415_thumb.jpg

I did my 5th one, and it was definitely the hardest one for me. I did not train nearly enough as I was away on work travels and holiday for over 120 days during quarter 3&4.

I made a note in my diary to start with Atta base training on 1 June 2016. I will rather miss it than suffer like that again.

It was a tough year. Having done no SA seeding races last year starting at the back of D made it very slow going.

The trail etiquette of tired people is shocking! hahaha

Just because you need to dismount at every river crossing does not mean do it in the middle of the path without looking! But I shall not grumble as it was all about the gees, fun and base miles.

I saw a LOT of guys cramping badly which surprised me. I thought the course was relatively kind this year.

Well done to all who finished. I saw a few guys had some nasty falls too. I hope there were no nasty broken bones or lasting damage done.

Took all the advice given here. Slow start . Turned out to be slow throughout. Rehidrat in my water etc. If you're a wannabe MTB'er like me nothing can prepare you for this. Far too little training. The big hills I walked, district ones I could ride. Only got of the bike otherwise for one or two river crossings, and a small section between WP 2 and 3. Pleased that I could do the descent into Bonniedale.

The tables were excellent. Piesangbrood and date balls went down well. Those kids in uniform just so helpful.

" En hierdie wit en pienk pille is vir die krampe oom" at WP 3.

Got home in 10.36, but I never felt that I wouldn't make it.

Nice to hear your name on the finish line.

Edit : Resize skills not too good. Please click on pics.

And BSG ,That Pine Creek park is top notch .

Die foto's inspireer my om in te skryf vir 2017......as mens nog entries kan kry! :blush:

Archived