Cyclo-cross CX event in SA?

Chatman

Cyclocross CX event in SA?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Would you enter a cyclo-cross CX event in SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's cyclocross / CX?
    • Yes - but i'd use my MTB

Hey guys. I see the CX scene is picking up in SA. I've been to a UCI CX event at it's a lot of fun for spectators and all...

Was wondering if there is enough interest / demand in SA for this type of event?

Cheers

I did a race earlier this year, mostly forestry road and then some steep semi technical single track in-between, everyone was on mountain bikes except a dutch girl on a CX bike. She came 6th out of about 120 cyclists and ran the last 5km's of race after she had broken her derailleur hanger. She was really fast on the jeep track and them of course slower on the technical bits.

Lapped races (track, criteriums, cx, xco), are in general better for spectators and TV, but somehow struggle in SA.  Lapped races aren't mass-start, by necessity.

UCI CX has rules about the course length and types and amounts of barriers.  If you want a UCI CX, you'll need to read the rules.

If you just want CX-like, decide if you want gravel-like (CX bikes on a short MTB course), or XCO-like (laps with specific obstacles), and then get a venue.

I reckon a XCO-like venue using the chicken runs and a mandatory portage strip might be a good start.  Get some decent signage up, so competitors can make an informed ride/run choice.

A proper CX day has a few hours of practice, then split men/woman/age and go for it.

I'd like to do a CX/XCO-like race when I'm healthy again.

I've been watching the European season over the last few years, really enjoy it. Yet to attend a live event, but here's what I think its about:

- WInter Sport

- Family atmosphere

- Urban setting with paid entrance

- Decent beer and fritte on tap

- Party tent preferably with Belgian Techno pumping

There are a few parks here in Jhb which I think would be suitable venues

It would take years to build a scene here, the Braamies bunch  (Hunter?) have had some CX thing going in the past, that's a start. Think we need to get some of the local roadies / mtb'ers interested, so at least there would be some 'names' to pull people.

So if anyone wants to get an event together, I will do the party tent :)

Keep tabs on Pete Geyer @cyclingfans for news on live streams

Edited by kosmonooit

I attended an event a couple of years back in Belgium. It was super fun. In the right spot you could view quite a bit and the riders did not hold back. Lot's of close calls, awesome overtaking and tumbles in the sand or mud.

A venue like a school or a university would be ideal because you need a combination off-road and on-road/tar sections. Without some road/tar sections it's not the same. And carbon MTB bike would be fine.

And every section of the route is at least 3m wide so overtaking is always a possibility.

I'm not sure how small - mid-size cycling events break-even but I'm sure with ~100 entries, some cheap entry tickets, food and beer and advertising it can work???

The off-road section that runs along the cradle would be a fun route to try a bike on. You could hop back onto the tar if it gets too technical.

It will need to be more of a social event for the whole family.

Loads of beer,frites and waffles  :thumbup:  :clap:

Edited by gummibear

I think it has to be proper cross bikes  - bit of an investment though, or excuse for another bike?

Did you see Tim  Johnson's latest toy?

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/09/19-659x440.jpg

I think it has to be proper cross bikes  - bit of an investment though, or excuse for another bike?

Did you see Tim  Johnson's latest toy?

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/09/19-659x440.jpg

For UCI events but i've done a few social CX's on my mtb.