Review: Giant Reign Advanced 27.5 1

Iwan Kemp

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What this guy said.

You can get a 2016 Kawasaki KX450F for 91k. The 250F comes in at 85. And believe me that thing will still have you soiling your underwear.

It comes out the factory with Renthal bars, Nissin brakes and a KYB air forks.

The cycling industry is a joke and we are all to blame.

Yes. We get the motorbike analogy. I think the problem is with the consumer-driven insistence to either revamp or touch up every bike in their range every year. Most motorbikes sport carry over parts from year to year and only ever so often go the full monty when it comes to updating. Engines, frames, gearboxes, electronics, etc  are shared across platforms, although in different tunes (250F, 250R, 250X).

Some say a KX450F is ridiculous money when you can buy a car for the same money. Looks like the motorbike industry is a joke as well. We're all part of the Truman show.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did Giant even bother with the Dual Position Pike, when it's widely regarded as the unloved stepchild of the Pike family?

Anyhow, a 2X10 SLX drivetrain R67k bike makes me nauseous. 

Good review, Iwan. 

That was the 2015 version. 2016 has full XT m8000

Yes. We get the motorbike analogy. I think the problem is with the consumer-driven insistence to either revamp or touch up every bike in their range every year. Most motorbikes sport carry over parts from year to year and only ever so often go the full monty when it comes to updating. Engines, frames, gearboxes, electronics, etc  are shared across platforms, although in different tunes (250F, 250R, 250X).

Some say a KX450F is ridiculous money when you can buy a car for the same money. Looks like the motorbike industry is a joke as well. We're all part of the Truman show.

This, most likely. 

Given the choice, I'd far rather have the KX though. Or the equivalent roadgoing version. 

Maybe also worth mentioning that not all importers pay for their bikes at the same time and in the same way. Some secure price in advance, others pay before it ships and some pay whenever based on the exchange rate when it clears customs.

We are comparing one year with another without knowing those details. 

R/$ is one thing. Cost of material is another.

I'm not trying to defend a price increase - just adding some more info to the discussion.

Bicycles also sport OEM components that are carried across multiple models and brands so your component counter argument doesn't hold water IMO.

And the KX45F vs bicycle comparison is valid in my opinion because they are both toys whereas a car generally is not.

The fact remains. Bicycles are MASSIVELY overpriced when compared to other consumer products. The only things I can think of that are more ridiculous are jewelry and high end watches.

So please no one try and argue that a Breitling watch is worth 100k.

Still love you Iwan.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

A story that went largely unnoticed was Felt who announced earlier this year that they will be doing away with model years completely and follow the Santa Cruz / Ibis (as an example) model and only introduce upgrades if and when ready. Rather have rolling updates and spec changes than having to re-tool and have new molds made every year.

Bicycles also sport OEM components that are carried across multiple models and brands so your component counter argument doesn't hold water IMO.

And the KX45F vs bicycle comparison is valid in my opinion because they are both toys whereas a car generally is not.

The fact remains. Bicycles are MASSIVELY overpriced when compared to other consumer products. The only things I can think of that are more ridiculous are jewelry and high end watches.

Still love you Iwan.

Not a counter argument - I actually agree with you! Was just highlighting those facts, that, like you say, is the same in the bicycle trade. 

Further to my argument I'm going to make a few sweeping statements. And I'm going to continue with my Motorcycle vs Buycycle comparison. And yes I concede we are our own worst enemies here.

1. There are too many bike brands. The numbers are too small, making economic production impossible.

2. The industry is upside down. With motorcycles the big 4 own the component guys. Yamaha own Ohlins. Honda owns KYB and Showa. Kawasaki owns Nissin brakes whereas in cycling the frame makers suck hind tit.

3. We believe the bull**** hype

4. There's too much choice. How many versions of the reign are there? 4? Why? 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Not a counter argument - I actually agree with you! Was just highlighting those facts, that, like you say, is the same in the bicycle trade. 

Same. Immensely overpriced, but it is what we, and the producers, have made it out to be. 

Bicycles have ALWAYS been expensive, though. Even in the 90's, the top bikes were in the high thousand dollar range. 

But yeah. They're bloody expensive compared to other toys and vehicles. Never said they weren't. However, in this particular case, Nico's ignorance of the effect of ZAR / USD movements and the effects they have on the price needed to be attended to.

"35% WTF LOL they're smoking" needed to be put into context. 

Still love you Iwan.

You are 100% correct. My insurer just asked me for revaluations on wife's jewellery and my bikes. I asked why those specifically and the response was those items are generally overvalued from purchase and insured value, then get lost easily and naturally the most claimed against. But the overvalued statement had me intrigued

Same. Immensely overpriced, but it is what we, and the producers, have made it out to be. 

Bicycles have ALWAYS been expensive, though. Even in the 90's, the top bikes were in the high thousand dollar range. 

But yeah. They're bloody expensive compared to other toys and vehicles. Never said they weren't. However, in this particular case, Nico's ignorance of the effect of ZAR / USD movements and the effects they have on the price needed to be attended to.

"35% WTF LOL they're smoking" needed to be put into context. 

No.  You're redirecting the argument as you see fit.

My argument was "How the hell is this 35% more expensive when other large brands are managing 15% (and in some cases 8-10%)?"

People then chimed in with the exchange rate trope.

My reply was that the exchange rate, which affects all equally, cannot account for this increase when others somehow avoided it.  Yes, the exchange rate makes sense as part reason for this actual bike's increase, but why is Giant so particularly sensitive to it?

The exchange rate jump is around 20% - 25% for the last year so purchasing times is bull.

So my point (albeit poorly expressed) and conclusion is that Giant's business model is less consumer friendly when other brands have managed to absorb some of the exhange rate knock on.

But your 35% is actually 31%, hence the error.

R67 500 - R49 995 = R17 505 / R49 995 = .35 x 100 = 35%

Or am I again doing something wrong?