Trans Baviaans 2016

Joe Low

Nee Boys, we have accommodation booked for the Saturday evening which i would like to make use of  :whistling:

Then you guys must pull finger and trap!!!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys, so our target will be to reach 140kms-150kms in day light.

Well i just checked now & partner already had it planned out, 13 hour target time with an average of 17.2kmh, we will hit Bergplaas by 17:30, surely it is still daylight round about that time?

p.s. this was our conservative approach after i did nothing for the past 3 months & partner had injury woes but one thing for certain is we will not sell our entry as what is currently happening in the classifieds. would rather go in with no training & *** off for the full 24 hours than to sell my entry & give up without trying.

The way you and co trapped last night, you guys will be there just after lunch !! 

The descent after Bergplaas is best done in the dark. In the bright light of day the drop-off next to the road is so scary you will walk down.....

Glad I've never seen it then! Only ever been up and over MAC in the dark, so this "must be doing the big dipper in daylight" concept is foreign to me 

The way you and co trapped last night, you guys will be there just after lunch !!

thanks I need all the confidence boosters I can get right now.

There is the MAC just before the 140 km mark but closer to the finish there is the mini MAC.  Its about 700m long but with lots of  gravel and rocks.  Will be difficult in the dark. we are planning to do this part on Wednesday 3/8.  Will give an update on the condition of the road.

Went to Mpumulanga two weeks back to do a bit of training and worked out that the TB names for their hills are really silly.

Mother of all climbs - +/-450mtrs over 7-8kms

Neverender - it ends

Mini MAC - 700mtrs long

It's all poorly thought-out piffle.

Guys I hope the training is on par for the event!!

Quick question though, Is anyone leaving on the 12th from cape town @ about 14h00?

My partner can only leave that time while we are planning on leaving @ about 09h00 on the 12th already.

He just needs place for himself as we will take his bike and stuffs with us. We are 2*2man teams traveling together and its going to be a moerse waste for him to travel alone.

HELP PLEASE!

Mopkop

Went to Mpumulanga two weeks back to do a bit of training and worked out that the TB names for their hills are really silly.

Mother of all climbs - +/-450mtrs over 7-8kms

Neverender - it ends

Mini MAC - 700mtrs long

It's all poorly thought-out piffle.

Have you ridden this race?

I have puked more times than I care to remember up MAC (no other climb in the world does this to me!). I have made more meaningful resolutions going up Neverender (and kept them) than all the New Year's resolutions I've ever attempted. I have cramped, cursed and walked more up Mini MAC than I would like to admit, so, from my perspective, these hills should be renamed to the following:

Gut Wrench Ridge

Purgatory Pathway

Cussing Climb

Thanks guys, so our target will be to reach 140kms-150kms in day light.

Well i just checked now & partner already had it planned out, 13 hour target time with an average of 17.2kmh, we will hit Bergplaas by 17:30, surely it is still daylight round about that time?

p.s. this was our conservative approach after i did nothing for the past 3 months & partner had injury woes but one thing for certain is we will not sell our entry as what is currently happening in the classifieds. would rather go in with no training & *** off for the full 24 hours than to sell my entry & give up without trying.

Milky, you are way faster than that, the first 120km is lekker fast. You will easily make it. We get to the foot of mac as the sun goes down. You will proberly be over Mac. The TB is far better than the Tkaroo. Better surroundings, more riders, excellent vibe and the CPoints have awesome food.

Guys I hope the training is on par for the event!!

Quick question though, Is anyone leaving on the 12th from cape town @ about 14h00?

My partner can only leave that time while we are planning on leaving @ about 09h00 on the 12th already.

He just needs place for himself as we will take his bike and stuffs with us. We are 2*2man teams traveling together and its going to be a moerse waste for him to travel alone.

HELP PLEASE!

Mopkop

You going for a hair cut Mopkop?

Milky, you are way faster than that, the first 120km is lekker fast. You will easily make it. We get to the foot of mac as the sun goes down. You will proberly be over Mac. The TB is far better than the Tkaroo. Better surroundings, more riders, excellent vibe and the CPoints have awesome food.

ah Smurfy you always say the kindest things, thanks for the vote of confidence but bare in mind I have not done more than 80kms since abandoning the 100miler at the halfway point. Knowing myself when the gun go off the only thing that will hold me back will be my partner. So to cover 100kms should

Be no problem, I'll probably be smashed after that .

ah Smurfy you always say the kindest things, thanks for the vote of confidence but bare in mind I have not done more than 80kms since abandoning the 100miler at the halfway point. Knowing myself when the gun go off the only thing that will hold me back will be my partner. So to cover 100kms should

Be no problem, I'll probably be smashed after that .

Easy, start last. Moerse conjestion at the start. What went wrong on the 100 miller?

Have you ridden this race?

I have puked more times than I care to remember up MAC (no other climb in the world does this to me!). I have made more meaningful resolutions going up Neverender (and kept them) than all the New Year's resolutions I've ever attempted. I have cramped, cursed and walked more up Mini MAC than I would like to admit, so, from my perspective, these hills should be renamed to the following:

Gut Wrench Ridge

Purgatory Pathway

Cussing Climb

Rode it* three times. 

They have a lot more and bigger mothers in Mpumulanga.

Sorry for your digestive trouble :whistling:

(*ok more accurate to say "been up it with my bike")

Rode it* three times. 

They have a lot more and bigger mothers in Mpumulanga.

Sorry for your digestive trouble :whistling:

(*ok more accurate to say "been up it with my bike")

I think any of these climbs on fresh legs are rather pathetic. Their toughness comes from the 130+kms (for MAC) that you have in your legs before you start climbing.

And there is nothing wrong with pushing your bike up MAC (been there plenty of times) - it's a good excuse to look down the hill and see those poor souls who have yet to start climbing!

Easy, start last. Moerse conjestion at the start. What went wrong on the 100 miller?

noted.

Mechanical, pads on rear wheel was rubbing on disks for 80kms, I popped after that, trying to stick with the bunch. Farmer came to my rescue & gave me a lift back to the venue. Just as well, cause driving in his bakkie I realized it was going to be another 3-5hours in the saddle. Including a climb over Botmas pass @ Riebeek Kasteel.

There is a 'split-time' calculator on the website you can use as well. We normally aim to be at Doornkraal (Checkpoint 3) at 16.00 - we send our lights to this checkpoint. We then aim for a 14-16 hour Trans...

I am battling to understand the split time calculator that is available for download on the TB website.

http://www.transbaviaans.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Trans-Baviaans-Split-Time-Calculator.xlsx

I don't know how long or fast we will ride, but lets say 12 hours for conversation purposes.

If we start @ 10:00 and ride for 12 hours, we will finish @ 22:00. Right?

According to this calculation, we will finish at 20:30. 1 1/2 hours is missing somewhere.

Or am I missing a few brain cells?

Archived