December Sedgefield Rides

458Exp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going up this year from the 26th of Dec to the 9th of Jan. 

Thinking of taking the road bike this year as another Savage is coming up for some time as well. 

Routes we will be looking to do from Island Lake:

1. Old George road to Outeniqua pass and back

2. Ride to karatara do both sides of the fork

3. Ride for breakfast to Kysna

4. Shorter evening Hoekvil rides to the cheese cake place.

5. Maybe ride out near George airport, the strava flyby does not look bright around there though.

Once made some more plans will put dates down.

Hi, I am also at Island Lake - every year same place same time. I have not seen you there ? how do we hook up ? my site no 24. I will be doing mtb - I live in George and know most the trails around there and Saasveld.

Hi, I am also at Island Lake - every year same place same time. I have not seen you there ? how do we hook up ? my site no 24. I will be doing mtb - I live in George and know most the trails around there and Saasveld.

You go on holiday 20kms away from home? - Convenient if you forget your toothbrush

Im also based in George, we should hookup for a ride sometime! We ride the George Dam area alot! Trying to train alot in the holidays now that im on leave, entered the mini atta so trying to climb everything i can! 

Im also based in George, we should hookup for a ride sometime! We ride the George Dam area alot! Trying to train alot in the holidays now that im on leave, entered the mini atta so trying to climb everything i can! 

Hi Warren

Do you know how badly the George trails were affected by the fire? I know a lot of it is destroyed, but I am specifically asking regarding the Witfontein DH. 

Thanks

You go on holiday 20kms away from home? - Convenient if you forget your toothbrush

I would go to Island lake if I lived 5km from it, first fresh water lake you get to on the east coast from Cape Town. 

Ek het my vrou daar ontmoet

Hi Warren

Do you know how badly the George trails were affected by the fire? I know a lot of it is destroyed, but I am specifically asking regarding the Witfontein DH. 

Thanks

This is a great site. 

would really like to know if it was affected by the fires though. 

http://georgetrails.org.za

Thanks

Hi Warren

Thanks

Witfontein trails are all fine, DH even better than before as it was getting a bit over grown. Some holes in the trails, but have been mostly filled in. Can't enter at the main gate, use one of the other entrances. Forest is "closed" as logging has started next to the main gate, but as long as you are not in the wrong place officials smile and wave. Saasveld rideable, but lots of holes and roots. Elephant Bath fubar - 100's of downed trees.

Witfontein trails are all fine, DH even better than before as it was getting a bit over grown. Some holes in the trails, but have been mostly filled in. Can't enter at the main gate, use one of the other entrances. Forest is "closed" as logging has started next to the main gate, but as long as you are not in the wrong place officials smile and wave. Saasveld rideable, but lots of holes and roots. Elephant Bath fubar - 100's of downed trees.

Ooh.. Im getting excited. I asked a Mr Savage and Mrs DeGroot if they knew what was up that side and they confirmed what you said. Amped!

With regards to "forrest closed"... So I just dont ask questions and ride around? cool..do i get a self issue permit? Or smile and wave?

Ooh.. Im getting excited. I asked a Mr Savage and Mrs DeGroot if they knew what was up that side and they confirmed what you said. Amped!

With regards to "forrest closed"... So I just dont ask questions and ride around? cool..do i get a self issue permit? Or smile and wave?

No permit system, but you can thank the Hillbillies by paying the club fee at just about any bike shop in town. A steal at R150.

Random races as well. Mossel baai has an MTB one on the 26th which i am doing, will join a couple of rides from the Cycleworx on other days as well.

Hy Bos

Ja alot of them did suffer some damage, the destruction was pretty scary to see. Some of the trails have actually improved and alot more have been revealed that were previously grown over. I dont train much in Wittfontein, the more the DH guys, Werner Rall will be able to give you info on that. He knows that forest inside out. We train most of the time at George Dam, it also took a hammering but not as bad. Again some of the trails are better now. The only thing that is a bit scary is that there alot of holes from the roots that burned. Most of that has since been repaired by the local club. 

This time of year is amazing, there are so many rides going out. Send me your cell number and I can add you to our whatsapp group. We unfortunately not into the DH thing, but we will gladly show you around. We always ride in small group, a fall in the forest on your own could be disaster (a young boy died in Wittfontien a few years ago riding alone and it was a stark reminder of the dangers of the sport). Drop me a message anytime of 072 636 6953

Hi Warren

Thanks

Random races as well. Mossel baai has an MTB one on the 26th which i am doing, will join a couple of rides from the Cycleworx on other days as well.

Theres also the Grabadoo in Grootbrak on 31.12.2018. Its apparently a stunning race, never done it but definitely going this year. 

Theres also the Grabadoo in Grootbrak on 31.12.2018. Its apparently a stunning race, never done it but definitely going this year. 

The Grabadoo is a great ride/race. When I am there I do not miss it. Will be doing it again this year. Mostly gravel but super vibe and a beautiful ride.

Enjoy

When you already live in heaven, there is nowhere else to go for holiday. 

edit - this is know, since I moved away from George 6 years ago. 

Archived