The Munga 2016

Slowbee

Where do you buy those big under saddle bags.

And any recommendation on the best type of shorts to wear also can you send stuff forward to any of the stops.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actual distances are as follows:

- RV 1: 219km

- RV 2: 175km

- RV 3: 190km

- RV 4: 216km

- RV 5: 219km

- Finish: 70km

You guys are all crazy!

And any recommendation on the best type of shorts to wear also can you send stuff forward to any of the stops.

I have a Mk1 bag you can have for R300?

PM for details and we can talk.

It is something I made and have access too.

We are bringing in a bunch of Revelate stuff for the Munga riders and they are giving us a better price, so pop me a mail on alex@themunga.com for details.

When is the next mini munga?

I am very keen on joining and using it as a test ride to see if I am anywhere near made for this ride! More than 6hrs in the saddle is currently a challenge! Cant imagine having to do 18hrs for 5 days in a row! :eek:

So things are starting to get interesting.

I have been stuck on the IDT during the week - to much work to do.

But on the weekends I have been able to fit in a ride or two.

The past weekend

Distance: 70.9, climbing 315m (hermanus to just past stanford and back)

Avg speed: 15km/hr

Avg HR: 132

Perceived effort I would say was close to 6 (out of 10)

My ass took strain!

This weekend

Distance: 51km, climbing 425m (around Stellenbosch)

Avg Speed: 15.9

Avg HR: 133

Perceived Effort about 6-7 (out of 10)

Again my ass was sore but also my hands.

I am going to invest in a new saddle and also possibly change the angle of shifters. Possibly even turn the entire handlebar a bit. 

My confidence is at a bit of a low. Being injured with the toe and not getting riding sooner in the year is left me wondering if there is enough time left to train so that I can finish this event with a measure of comfort. If I carry on training I am sure I can finish - but it will be a bit of a struggle.

post-2696-0-28076800-1470057428_thumb.jpg

I would be keen to hear what you guys think of this.

I worked out everything based on a speed of 12km/hr. Knowing that least year the winner finished with an avg of 14.something km/hr, how feasible do you think it is to maintain an avg of 12km/hr ? Am I counting on to many rest hours ? If there is a water point every 60km or so, 20 minute stops at each one for a snack, water fill up, chat, take some pics etc is that to long ?

10kph is more realistic... 

You will need to sleep. Please don't push through the 1st 48 hrs and think you can keep up a tempo.

Our basic rule on expedition races is to make sure you sleep at least 2.5 to 3 hrs on the 1st night.

Even though the race is long you still only get to blow once.

Having a schedule is also good but remember there will be times when you feel good, and times when you just want to die. That is inevitable.

Staying positive, eating real food and not overdosing on supplements or sugar will be essential. Also look at a way of creating cognative thought to stay awake. I find doing maths problems and actively recalling poems/song lyrics etc keeps me sharp for the most part but that is quite a few years of practice.

Man, I wish I could afford to enter this race........ The running version really excites me! I am busy seeing what I can sell in order to finance 400km of mental battles and foot destruction

the problem with 10km/hr is that it does not leave much space for sleep.

It only leaves 10 hrs for sleep and rest, given that we only have a 120 hrs for the entire race.

It only leaves 10 hrs for sleep and rest, given that we only have a 120 hrs for the entire race.

I meant 10 pkh including sleep.... Sorry, my bad!

If you keep up rest and sleep regularly you should be able to maintain 10kph including sleep.

Finish in 4 and a half days.

Do you have a bivvy bag and a liner? Small items but essential. A sleeping bag is a nightmare if it gets wet or damp.

Having an efficient stop/go is also essential to maximise sleep time. faffing for 15 mins each end 12 times adds up really quickly.

We always try to practice our transitions to minimise wasted time. You're not ticking off KM when you're wondering what jacket to pack or how many socks need to go in. If you don't pack it you will probably also survive....... In fact I managed to do a 60km trek/canyon with a 20km paddle all in my Undies because I forgot to pack shorts! 

You will survive as long as you have the basics. Don't overthink everything but be well prepared....

2 hours a night sleep is plenty but as said above, stop and take that 2 hours from day 1. At EA we took 2 hours each night the first 2 nights, and then realising short course cutoff was going to be tight we went straight through days 3 and 4 without sleep and most of the team were ok.

Be very critical on time wasted doing stupid things though, if you riding with others you need to look at things like pee, jacket and food breaks. If one stops then all stop and do the same thing one time, otherwise you stop so 1 can take jacket off, then 5 mins later stop again for the next to take of jacket and so on. If you riding alone its a lot easier.

Also if you decide to stop and sleep, stop and sleep! If you are not eating, sleeping, cycling or fixing your bum/feet/bike/maps you are wasting time. You will find it very easy in your tired state to faff around doing nothing of importance, esp before/after sleeping, a 2 hour sleep can easily become a 3-3,5hour stop. Same goes for food breaks.

I would love to do these, but leave is an issue, and with EA there is just no budget.

Also Munga, Double Moon, Wartrail, Munga Run and Expedition Africa in a 6 or 7 month stretch will hurt...                                                                         A lot...

2 hours a night sleep is plenty but as said above, stop and take that 2 hours from day 1. At EA we took 2 hours each night the first 2 nights, and then realising short course cutoff was going to be tight we went straight through days 3 and 4 without sleep and most of the team were ok.

Be very critical on time wasted doing stupid things though, if you riding with others you need to look at things like pee, jacket and food breaks. If one stops then all stop and do the same thing one time, otherwise you stop so 1 can take jacket off, then 5 mins later stop again for the next to take of jacket and so on. If you riding alone its a lot easier.

Also if you decide to stop and sleep, stop and sleep! If you are not eating, sleeping, cycling or fixing your bum/feet/bike/maps you are wasting time. You will find it very easy in your tired state to faff around doing nothing of importance, esp before/after sleeping, a 2 hour sleep can easily become a 3-3,5hour stop. Same goes for food breaks.

I would love to do these, but leave is an issue, and with EA there is just no budget.

Also Munga, Double Moon, Wartrail, Munga Run and Expedition Africa in a 6 or 7 month stretch will hurt...                                                                         A lot...

hahahaha.... Spot the adventure racers giving out the same advice!

Faffing.... the death of tired people!

So things are starting to get interesting.

I have been stuck on the IDT during the week - to much work to do.

But on the weekends I have been able to fit in a ride or two.

The past weekend

Distance: 70.9, climbing 315m (hermanus to just past stanford and back)

Avg speed: 15km/hr

Avg HR: 132

Perceived effort I would say was close to 6 (out of 10)

My ass took strain!

This weekend

Distance: 51km, climbing 425m (around Stellenbosch)

Avg Speed: 15.9

Avg HR: 133

Perceived Effort about 6-7 (out of 10)

Again my ass was sore but also my hands.

I am going to invest in a new saddle and also possibly change the angle of shifters. Possibly even turn the entire handlebar a bit. 

My confidence is at a bit of a low. Being injured with the toe and not getting riding sooner in the year is left me wondering if there is enough time left to train so that I can finish this event with a measure of comfort. If I carry on training I am sure I can finish - but it will be a bit of a struggle.

I think the problem you have is a 'measure of comfort'. Im not sure anyone will experience that, certainly not while riding ;)

attachicon.gifMunga times.jpg

I would be keen to hear what you guys think of this.

I worked out everything based on a speed of 12km/hr. Knowing that least year the winner finished with an avg of 14.something km/hr, how feasible do you think it is to maintain an avg of 12km/hr ? Am I counting on to many rest hours ? If there is a water point every 60km or so, 20 minute stops at each one for a snack, water fill up, chat, take some pics etc is that to long ?

You will certainly average a faster speed over the first section. Remember, you are allowed to draft/bunch ride up to Race Village 1. So i think it is reasonably 'easy' to average 15km/hr to RV1. Thus, if you sleep 4 hrs at RV1 you have 6 in the credit bag. 50% of the field blitzed through RV1 last year with no sleep! 

I know its relative, but if you leave RV1 with 6 hrs credit, and grind through 2 and 3, you are over halfway and can start leaning on the end for motivation. No one baled after RV5. Also, by RV2, smaller groups that aren't chasing the money and are happy with the penalty will coalesce and ride together. This becomes an enormous benefit if you just want to finish.

Archived