Riding around South Coast, Durban

Sticks

Hi everyone,

Going to spend a week in Palm Beach, South Coast an area I have never been before and was wondering if anyone knows what the road riding is like out there?

I'm looking to get in a few hours a day but don't know if it is safe or is the road conditions are good.

Thanks,

Marco

Palm Beach is very close to Clearwater Trails ... very enjoyable riding if you have a mtb.

For road riding not so sure...

Hi

I am going to be in the same area, will be taking my MTB to muck around with so looking forward to replies here. I hope to get a couple of hours in on the bike every day or 2.

Hi Marco,

You can get in a decent ride if you go back north along the R61 (the main road running from Southbroom towards Port Edward). You can go left at Southbroom traffic lights, which will take you towards Ramsgate, then Margate, but the road from that point has a few potholes. From Southbroom traffic lights the road becomes the N2 if you go straight across, which is unsafe to ride. I'd advise riding early before the roads get busy, as there's a lot of traffic at this time of the year.

If you go South towards Port Edward, turn right at Port Edward traffic lights then immediately left, and follow that road you'll get to Clearwaters Trail Centre, which has some really fun trails which run across the top of the gorge. You're welcome to contact me on 074 619 2311 when you're in that area if you require directions.

Hi

I am going to be in the same area, will be taking my MTB to muck around with so looking forward to replies here. I hope to get a couple of hours in on the bike every day or 2.

Always good to check out the Strava Global Map, you can see where people ride in any area, road or bush. The intensity of the line will show you how often they route is ridden. Look for it on google, you don't need a Strava account to see it.

Couple of hours a day will be around Two to Three in total, before traffic gets going. At 04h45 it is light enough to hit the road. Remember, the South Coast is where you will find Gauteng over December. A ride North along the R61 towards Margate will be best. Be back at you lodge by 7am or your ride will be spoiled by traffic. Road conditions are good. Narrow in places. Undulating and fast in places. No major climbs. Riding south towards Port Edward is risky. Major collection point for taxis and buses heading towards Transkei. Recce your route by car on the first morning and see for yourself. Mine is just an opinion and should not be cast in stone.

Last year we stayed in Shelley Beach, and decided to take the bikes with. As always I forgot something, and it was the helmets. Stopped at Concept Cyclery and got chatting to the owner about places to ride, without realizing he was Burry Stander's dad. Long story short, joined a ride at the Burry Stander Bike Park on their family farm near Umtentweni. Really lekker sugar cane field riding with rivers, mamba hills, sand, everything! If it's not too far out of the way, give it a go.

Personally, I would never ride that South Coast road.  Too narrow in places, drivers drive too fast, holiday season = increased vehicles on this road = increased chances of a knock down, alcohol consumption etc.

But I am not an organ donor..............

Do you guys know if there are any clubs that would mind us joining them for a ride or two on the South Coast?

Couple of hours a day will be around Two to Three in total, before traffic gets going. At 04h45 it is light enough to hit the road. Remember, the South Coast is where you will find Gauteng over December

Palm beach is far enough north to be away from all the gutengalengs...even though palm beach is made up entirely of them.....but luckily not very built up area

watch out for the mamba's....there are plenty

Archived