Top SA mountain biker tests positive for EPO

Guest Lancesball

I think it's different due to the context. afaik, Nolan took some medicine in the naughty list to help with an injury. 

That's what they all say, dude. Testo or nandralone to boost your performance after coming back from an injury sounds OK, but that's what we like to call 'a smokescreen'.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest notmyname

That's what they all say, dude. Testo or nandralone to boost your performance after coming back from an injury sounds OK, but that's what we like to call DOPING.

Sorted.

Wow really would have thought these guys would stop this useless type of thing. Corporate Creep must leave MTB scene.

Wow really would have thought these guys would stop this useless type of thing. Corporate Creep must leave MTB scene.

Corporate creep has sweet f all to do with it. Doping started shortly after the second bicycle was made (and racing bikes started). If anything, my experience is that corporate sponsors are highly sensitive to being associated with doping. We may have had Nedbank, Neotel and Barloworld still being involved if it wasn't for doping.

If it has nothing to do with some of them why are certain still pushed into doing it to be the best of the best. It is still being done. If we like it or not. Speaking about it here any longer just shows we all know it and just choose the ignore it. Fact.

...................... If anything, my experience is that corporate sponsors are highly sensitive to being associated with doping. We may have had Nedbank, Neotel and Barloworld still being involved if it wasn't for doping.

Definitely some truth in that. Picture the poor Barloworld marketing guy who motivated the huge sponsorship for team Barloworld. News of the doping scandal has just been splashed all over the world media and the Barloworld name and logo is associated with it. The renewal of the sponsorship is coming up in 3 months time and the board of the company is having a meeting to decide whether to keep pouring millions into cycling or not.........guess how the hardnosed executives, who never saw the real need to involve their company with a ninny sport like cycling in the first place, are going to see it. Add difficult financial times to the mix and doping is all the excuse needed to pull the rug!Cycling loses out!

If it has nothing to do with some of them why are certain still pushed into doing it to be the best of the best. It is still being done. If we like it or not. Speaking about it here any longer just shows we all know it and just choose the ignore it. Fact.

Because greed. As previously said, nothing to do with corporate creep. Yes, they want to get and retain sponsorship as much as possible, but it is not the corporates pushing the doping problem. It's the teams, riders and suppliers. 

It's a moral issue. Finish and klaar. 

We will have too see how far these things truly go and how much is kept ONDER DIE TAFEL.

Ons sal nog sien!

Hope that it just does not happen ever again with any cyclist.

Makes the rest look like idiots on wheels.

We will have too see how far these things truly go and how much is kept ONDER DIE TAFEL.

Ons sal nog sien!

Hope that it just does not happen ever again with any cyclist.

Makes the rest look like idiots on wheels.

It's going to happen again, and again, and again, and again, and again................................., like it has for over 100 years.

Because greed. As previously said, nothing to do with corporate creep. Yes, they want to get and retain sponsorship as much as possible, but it is not the corporates pushing the doping problem. It's the teams, riders and suppliers. 

It's a moral issue. Finish and klaar. 

hmmmmmm well eerrm no.

Sponsors want results. The mandate to get the best results for the lowest costs and push the boundaries of human endeavour are all there in the motivational speeches.

Just don't hurt my name.......= catch on whatever crap you can get away with but if you get caught I'm turning my back on you.

This was the motivation for the first doper. There has been cheating in sport since sport was invented. There is  cheating in any combat situation. Rules are only guidelines.

So ya maybe when standing on the moral highground of underachievement its easy to say cheating is not alowed but when you are competing for your livelihood you will look at optimising every advantage you have. When you need that extra boost to get you over the top.........and your job and paycheque depends on it............???  

It's going to happen again, and again, and again, and again, and again................................., like it has for over 100 years.

Do you think that big corporates like Oakley, Trek/Bontrager, Nike and even USPS didn't know or suspect that Lance and co. were doped to the eyeballs during his 7 glorious years? They rode the wave and abandoned ship(with righteous indignation) when he was exposed/or confessed. Corporates aren't charity organisations or always as ethical as they would like us to believe. they are there to make as much money as possible using any justifiable means possible, gaining any advantage which presents itself; all the while ensuring plausible deniability. Do what you have to do to win, just don't get caught doing something iffy.

Do you think that big corporates like Oakley, Trek/Bontrager, Nike and even USPS didn't know or suspect that Lance and co. were doped to the eyeballs during his 7 glorious years? They rode the wave and abandoned ship(with righteous indignation) when he was exposed/or confessed. Corporates aren't charity organisations or always as ethical as they would like us to believe. they are there to make as much money as possible using any justifiable means possible, gaining any advantage which presents itself; all the while ensuring plausible deniability. Do what you have to do to win, just don't get caught doing something iffy.

They will go as far as ruining other people financially, like Trek did to Greg Lemond to protect their interests. Then there was the Oakley rep who physically threatened the Andreu's for talking.

Do you think that big corporates like Oakley, Trek/Bontrager, Nike and even USPS didn't know or suspect that Lance and co. were doped to the eyeballs during his 7 glorious years? They rode the wave and abandoned ship(with righteous indignation) when he was exposed/or confessed. Corporates aren't charity organisations or always as ethical as they would like us to believe. they are there to make as much money as possible using any justifiable means possible, gaining any advantage which presents itself; all the while ensuring plausible deniability. Do what you have to do to win, just don't get caught doing something iffy.

Blaming the corporates because athletes chose to dope is like blaming spoons when ice cream makes us fat.

Blaming the corporates because athletes chose to dope is like blaming spoons when ice cream makes us fat.

Brilliant metafoor

????

Not blaming them. Just indicating that they are not as innocent in this whole picture. Ultimately the athlete has made the decision to dope. I don't hear the corporates questioning why a rider is whipping his opposition by miles for years, while they are reaping the marketing mileage/rewards. Then when he's  found out they are "so surprised" and "upset" by the betrayal of their trust and the "damage to their brand". Seriously? How much sales did Trek, oakley etc lose because of LA's doping? They reaped the rewards with zero accountability. Similarly Telekom and a host of others

Archived