Top SA mountain biker tests positive for EPO

Guest Lancesball

My apologies, I remembered the NH case differently. Thought he had taken something out of competition whilst injured. Actually did this :

Hoffman said he had taken the testosterone to help him overcome a knee injury that had been hampering his return to form and lamented his decision.

Well this is exactly the double standard I was talking about. Doping is doping friend

if doping is doping then why are there different suspensions for different transgressions? It's a difference of opinion, but I don't see doping as black and white. It's full of grey

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the doper's  coach / teamdoctor also come under scrutiny?

These guys are watching the power meters and analysing every training session.

Surely they would know if someone is doping???

And when someone gets bust, they need to answer a few questions also?

blixem that is hardcore....personally I find nothing beats a baabie than a ride. You kuk bricks for the first ten 10km....hey even call some dinosaurs in the bush, but from then on, praaaaaap

As luck ( or stupidity) will have it, i have very seldom ridden concrete strips without a babbie ( or with training) .

After swearing sweating and almost passing out while walking, once that is done.. The rest of the ride is veey pleasant..

Lets hear it for the doppers...

My apologies, I remembered the NH case differently. Thought he had taken something out of competition whilst injured. Actually did this :

Hoffman said he had taken the testosterone to help him overcome a knee injury that had been hampering his return to form and lamented his decision.

if doping is doping then why are there different suspensions for different transgressions? It's a difference of opinion, but I don't see doping as black and white. It's full of grey

Correct! I was referring to the use of steroids, epo and the like......

Testing positive for stuff like a silly ingredient in sinusitis medication (which you did not declare) is something different, I agree. Sure pros need to know what they can take and not but lots of amateurs get banned as well for stuff like this. They don't know any better because it is not their intention to dope (which is not doping in my opinion)

..................Hoffman said he had taken the testosterone to help him overcome a knee injury that had been hampering his return to form and lamented his decision................

Testosterone is NOT a treatment for knee injuries! As far as I know there is nothing in accepted medicine to justify it. (Experts comment please.) It sounds like an unlikely excuse to me. 

Guest Lancesball

Do the doper's  coach / teamdoctor also come under scrutiny?

These guys are watching the power meters and analysing every training session.

Surely they would know if someone is doping???

And when someone gets bust, they need to answer a few questions also?

Some on that list of your have answered long time ago. 

The VERY reason there is still doping. If the rules and the punishment that goes with it was black and white then it would be different.

Also, we need better and more frequent testing on top of black and white rules. Dope = ban for life. Done. None of this "lighter punishment if you co-operate" nonsense. Take away doping and the guys behind the scenes will see their gat anyway. 

Besides, what has EVER come from a guy cooperating and spilling the beans. Did David George not get a reduced sentence for cooperating? Who was arrested / busted / brought to their knees from that?

Nonsense. All of it. Ban the cheaters for life. Get rid of them all. 

The VERY reason there is still doping. If the rules and the punishment that goes with it was black and white then it would be different.

Also, we need better and more frequent testing on top of black and white rules. Dope = ban for life. Done. None of this "lighter punishment if you co-operate" nonsense. Take away doping and the guys behind the scenes will see their gat anyway. 

Besides, what has EVER come from a guy cooperating and spilling the beans. Did David George not get a reduced sentence for cooperating? Who was arrested / busted / brought to their knees from that?

Nonsense. All of it. Ban the cheaters for life. Get rid of them all. 

Like I asked in an earlier post, what can be done with the info gleaned from someone who spills the beans? Lest someone is caught with the substances on them or on them, there's not much that can be done.  

Like I asked in an earlier post, what can be done with the info gleaned from someone who spills the beans? Lest someone is caught with the substances on them or on them, there's not much that can be done.  

Exactly, so why negotiate in the first place? 

What WE can do is vote with our wallets. Let's start a movement where we boycott a brand that supports a doper after being caught. If it's not going to change from the top down, lets change it from the bottom up.

I'll start with me. Today.

What WE can do is vote with our wallets. Let's start a movement where we boycott a brand that supports a doper after being caught. If it's not going to change from the top down, lets change it from the bottom up.

nice idea, not sure what will be left to buy, every brand is just about linked to something dodgy, past or present.

nice idea, not sure what will be left to buy, every brand is just about linked to something dodgy, past or present.

Chinese Carbon! Probably won't be too long before they find a way to make a cheap knock-off EPO.

We have to do something and start somewhere - sooner or later they will listen.

I always wonder why our 'pro's' wont push these 'come back kids' off the starting line.

Birds of a feather? :ph34r:  :devil:

No one buys USN anyway :P

But yes I agree, if a brand wants to back their doper then they wont get a cent from me.

quoted from a product liability lawyer type website:

"For adult men, testosterone helps maintain bone density, fat distribution, muscle strength, muscle mass, red blood cell production, sex drive, and sperm production. As men age, testosterone production naturally begins to decrease. This drop off normally begins around the age of thirty and many men begin to notice the effects after the age of forty. - See more at: http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/testosterone-replacement-therapy-faqs.html#sthash.ULv5G9DS.dpuf

I think you agree the bolded and underlined phrase are key to any athlete during a convalescing period?

blixem that is hardcore....personally I find nothing beats a baabie than a ride. You kuk bricks for the first ten 10km....hey even call some dinosaurs in the bush, but from then on, praaaaaap

Funny you should say that, I went for a ride on the 26th I think it was, after Xmas, suffered monstrously initially then smashed 3 Strava KOMs on some steep hills (yes I couldn't wait for an excuse to share that story).

No doping was involved though. Only dopping.

Archived