[Event] The Value Logistics Fast One

StevieL

This collection of just your number the whole way in Fourways is starting to get ridiculous, they need to start with the morning of the ride collections. I drove 50km one way during my lunch break just to collect a flippen number plus 4 safety pins that needs to be pinned to my jersey - THIS IS INSANE..... 

This process needs to be re-evaluated as it is not feasible to Joe soap riding for fun....  

You mean you didn't get a fully packed race pack? Oh wait, neither did I...

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean you didn't get a fully packed race pack? Oh wait, neither did I...

Gone are the days where if someone went to pick up a few numbers they came out with a shopping trolley of race packs.

I agree! And it isn't as if it being at Cycle Lab has a 'can get what you need in the last minute'  advantage either, because I was in the market for a new bib but in the 2 I liked/was looking at (R2k range) they only had XLs...WHO only has XLs in ladies bibs...  They really really have to pull up their socks! 

Try www.Sportsworld.co.za they stock decent well priced bibs and its delivered to your door....

This collection of just your number the whole way in Fourways is starting to get ridiculous, they need to start with the morning of the ride collections. I drove 50km one way during my lunch break just to collect a flippen number plus 4 safety pins that needs to be pinned to my jersey - THIS IS INSANE..... 

This process needs to be re-evaluated as it is not feasible to Joe soap riding for fun....  

Not always easy, the people manning these are volunteers who are required on race day to help run the event by assisting at WP and along the road . Getting people to volunteer is hard enough, I've been involved in both running and cycling and there is always a challenge to get enough.

If I was given the choice I too would choose to collect on race day, but IMO so would more than half of the other riders. This will require a large number of people to man the collection point so as to prevent bottlenecks and reduce the number of volunteers used elsewhere. 

Not always easy, the people manning these are volunteers who are required on race day to help run the event by assisting at WP and along the road . Getting people to volunteer is hard enough, I've been involved in both running and cycling and there is always a challenge to get enough.

If I was given the choice I too would choose to collect on race day, but IMO so would more than half of the other riders. This will require a large number of people to man the collection point so as to prevent bottlenecks and reduce the number of volunteers used elsewhere. 

But why can't these just be printed at home? I'm sure most people have access to a printer. They could probably even sell the material in packs of 10 or something so you buy those and then you can print your numbers at home.

Scotty.

As part of the organisation fundies......

why of WHY don't you guys just let us participants print our own numbers?

Maybe we should start a petition to allow us to print our own numbers, I do not care for the Packs, I have tons of water bottles and to drive 70km for a extra gel or something is silly......your thoughts.

Sorry the other reply came through while I was typing.

But why can't these just be printed at home? I'm sure most people have access to a printer. They could probably even sell the material in packs of 10 or something so you buy those and then you can print your numbers at home.

It would be easy to make fake copies.

They should make it access based. Beginning of the year you buy a badge\chip and to get to your start you have to  swipe or scan it. This will insure that everybody is at the right pens.

Once you are seeded you are given access to enter.

The morning before the start there will be a test reader to ensure you card works. After you returned the badge\chip you get a refund.

Just spit balling here

Will never be able to understand why people have to "Volunteer" and get no compensation for their time and effort. 

We are paying a lot for race entries, so I doubt for no second there is enough money to pay these people out of the entries fees received.

I am familiar with all the cost involved in organizing such and an event, but there is always surplus funds.

If the event is to raise fund for charity, volunteers is fine.

Can be wrong, but for me it comes to, Someone is making money  (or too many greedy hands maybe) out of  (entry fees , sponsors) but expect people on the other and to volunteer (work for a free lunch , or small tip) 

Flame suit on :mellow:

They should make it access based. Beginning of the year you buy a badge\chip and to get to your start you have to swipe or scan it. This will insure that everybody is at the right pens.

The morning before the start there will be a test reader to ensure you card works. After you returned the badge\chip you get a refund.

Just spit balling here

Making fake copies of collected numbers is just as easy.... Photocopier.

One dude scans and emails it's to his buddies, you can use something as simple as MS Paint to just put your correct number on....

I might as well photocopy my numbers from the previous year. It's not like the numbers are scrutinized .They use my chips timing after all.

They should make it access based. Beginning of the year you buy a badge\chip and to get to your start you have to  swipe or scan it. This will insure that everybody is at the right pens.

Just spit balling here

This is a good idea. Its done at the trailseeker events, Fair enough its a slightly smaller scale(But not by much) but it works and it also keeps everyone in their correct batches.

Can't they just send a barcode (IR code) to your phone, that on race day when entering your pen, they just scan the code which, in turn, has all your personal details and race number etc contained within it.

Most people ride with their phones...

This number collection thing just seems a bit last decade with all the technology that now exists.

There must be another way.

The racetech chip should already ensure that printing fake numbers won't help. You can print an A batch number, but you'll be disqualified once the results are in.

Archived