[Event] The Value Logistics Fast One

StevieL

Can't they just send a barcode (IR code) to your phone, that on race day when entering your pen, they just scan the code which, in turn, has all your personal details and race number etc contained within it.

Most people ride with their phones...

This number collection thing just seems a bit last decade with all the technology that now exists.

There must be another way.

Very cool idea! Could even use the Apple wallet app to create the passes like you can for flight tickets. Android users only ride MTB's so no problem there....  :whistling:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will never be able to understand why people have to "Volunteer" and get no compensation for their time and effort. 

We are paying a lot for race entries, so I doubt for no second there is enough money to pay these people out of the entries fees received.

I am familiar with all the cost involved in organizing such and an event, but there is always surplus funds.

If the event is to raise fund for charity, volunteers is fine.

Can be wrong, but for me it comes to, Someone is making money  (or too many greedy hands maybe) out of  (entry fees , sponsors) but expect people on the other and to volunteer (work for a free lunch , or small tip) 

Flame suit on :mellow:

Cannot speak for all but the races I've been involved in the money goes to charity so paying volunteers will affect this. 

Scotty.

As part of the organisation fundies......

why of WHY don't you guys just let us participants print our own numbers?

Don't disagree with you that a solution must be found. Printing numbers could work, some concerns would be duplicate numbers and print quality might be an issue.  

Very cool idea! Could even use the Apple wallet app to create the passes like you can for flight tickets. Android users only ride MTB's so no problem there....  :whistling:

What about those arseholes like me who opted for a Windows phone? ;..;

Can't they just send a barcode (IR code) to your phone, that on race day when entering your pen, they just scan the code which, in turn, has all your personal details and race number etc contained within it.

Most people ride with their phones...

This number collection thing just seems a bit last decade with all the technology that now exists.

There must be another way.

Maybe most after the licensed guys. I doubt most of the elites and vets ride with phones. I personally don't and neither do most of my team mates. Have you seen the size of the pockets on race cut tops? No space to carry unnecessary stuff. But otherwise I agree with you its a good idea.

All very good ideas. 

Easy and will help grow the sport.

If only someone would listen.  Or read. 

Maybe they can't read? 

This collection of just your number the whole way in Fourways is starting to get ridiculous, they need to start with the morning of the ride collections. I drove 50km one way during my lunch break just to collect a flippen number plus 4 safety pins that needs to be pinned to my jersey - THIS IS INSANE..... 

This process needs to be re-evaluated as it is not feasible to Joe soap riding for fun....  

If you thought that was bad, just wait until next week where ASG ever so kindly decided to make the Berge en Dale number collection in fekking Krugersdrop!!!

All very good ideas. 

Maybe they can't read? 

You saying Zuma is in charge of CSA too?  <_<

What about those arseholes like me who opted for a Windows phone? ;..;

You and I will have to ask them to please link our entry to our transponder/racetec chip. They will then make us cross a mat at a boom-gate type entrance,  prior to entering the pen. No entry fee paid, no entry. Simple. We all have transponders. In short, why do it at the entrance to CTCT Expo but not a races? The answer is already operational. It will also stop wannabees entering the wrong pens. Who cares about numbers? Have your name or club allegiance sewn on your jersey if you want.

You and I will have to ask them to please link our entry to our transponder/racetec chip. They will then make us cross a mat at a boom-gate type entrance,  prior to entering the pen. No entry fee paid, no entry. Simple. We all have transponders. In short, why do it at the entrance to CTCT Expo but not a races? The answer is already operational. It will also stop wannabees entering the wrong pens. Who cares about numbers? Have your name or club allegiance sewn on your jersey if you want.

Unfortunately you have to have a visible number on your bike or body for control purposes. Race commissaires have to be able to identify riders otherwise they will not be able to DQ riders for certain offences.

I'm all for permanent numbers though. Seeding will be your responsibility to make sure your in the correct batch or don't get a result.

If all this fails then organizers can at least offer a registration point in Pretoria as well. 

All very good ideas. 

Maybe they can't read? 

You have to organize a march and a #campaign to get someone to listen these days. 

You have to organize a march and a #campaign to get someone to listen these days. 

#entriesmustfall, no, wait...

Been some time since I last time i did this race, then it started at PnP Steeldale and finished in vd Byl park so new territory for me. Logistics was a nightmare as unless you rode back to Steeldale which a number did, someone had to pick you up. 

Just a thought...

When one renew ones CSA licence for the year you get sent a white piece of cloth material with your CSA nr on and the year and maybe with blocks like this:

post-24697-0-39265200-1454051559_thumb.png

Then when you enter a race the race people sent you your batch 'letter' and maybe the race name/logo then we can print that and staple or pin it in the blocks like this:

post-24697-0-17910700-1454052068_thumb.png

Or kinda like this - so we get it per email, print, cut, staple to cloth...

post-24697-0-15267600-1454052244_thumb.jpg

If you do not have a CSA nr - so for people that don't race often or their 1st event (or people that are silly to pay more during the year due to adding that extra R35 per race I think it is) they can just send a whole page with the oddly allocated number too...not as if the number has to be durable more than one day.

Just a thought...

When one renew ones CSA licence for the year you get sent a white piece of cloth material with your CSA nr on and the year and maybe with blocks like this:

attachicon.gifcloth material.png

Then when you enter a race the race people sent you your batch 'letter' and maybe the race name/logo then we can print that and staple or pin it in the blocks like this:

attachicon.gifcloth material_with logo.png

Or kinda like this - so we get it per email, print, cut, staple to cloth...

attachicon.gifprint_cut_staple.jpg

If you do not have a CSA nr - so for people that don't race often or their 1st event (or people that are silly to pay more during the year due to adding that extra R35 per race I think it is) they can just send a whole page with the oddly allocated number too...not as if the number has to be durable more than one day.

Good idea.

Even....dare I say.....the DC had bike race boards you had to attach at the front.

Take it further and give everyone a hard number to attach at the back like with the Licensed boys.

Just.....for everyone.

And the sticker and seeding batch gets put on there. 

Timing chip will ensure you enter the correct batch just like they do with the Argus and 94.7 and all MTB events. 

Easy.

UCI regulations dictate that bib numbers and frame numbers must be a specific size.

post-1372-0-20772900-1454094178_thumb.png

post-1372-0-47271600-1454094162_thumb.png

post-1372-0-45572200-1454094160_thumb.png

Printing of a number at home, while possible, cannot be controlled (size wise). Doesn't mean I'm against it, the complete opposite.

From a rational point of view, licensed riders are the only one's required to wear them - as identification to the race officials and to identify their position on the line (photo finish, rather than the previous century's method of writing down numbers). The alphabet groups don't need a number - except to identify that they're official paid-up entrants. The timing chip determines the first person over the line right down to the last place, so I would say... why waste money on a number?

I really like the idea of a frame number - a permanent number for the year for everyone. You have no choice but to buy one if you want to take part in any sanctioned event - your number can be the CSA Membership number. I would even go as far as ensuring a mounting bracket is included for the rear brake or seat post, so every number can be fixed without modification.

If you lose your number, it works like the SAS board, you pay for a replacement (I haven't used mine in years, so I assume you still pay for the replacement). The only difference is that it doesn't have to be a RFID type board.

Licensed cyclists get a sticker pack issued together with their licence number for the year based on their age category. It can be coloured the same as the licence, and number range grouped per batch, i.e. Elite & U23 (1-149), Vets 30-34 (150-249), Vets 35-39 (250-349), etc. 

Then, you enter and receive a barcode receipt as confirmation of your entry, together with your batch number. No need to print anything - you have a permanent number, and proof of entry. CSA officials said the organiser could lose out if people ride without paying. How the organiser controls it is up to them - but I know it's too crowded and rushed at the start, so it won't work there - alternative solutions need to be proposed.

Archived